cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pilot flying j issue

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling to Florida , I decided to use pilot flying j for gas because of the discount. I received a message from my card company that Pilot had put a 500 dollar hold on my account rendering the card non usable for several days. Pilot has no business screwing with my account. Good Sam ought to inform members that this scenario exists. I will no longer purchase gas from them because I donโ€™t need the grief while traveling. My credit is excellent and Iโ€™m ready to tell all of the above to shove it.
79 REPLIES 79

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
IIRC, I have never used plastic for fuel purchases for personal use.
Company cards, yes.
We are cash only folks mostly however I do have one CC with a 1K limit for internet purchases.
I've been buying fuel for personal use since 1956.
Marvin

I submit that it's easier to find a fuel station that takes a debut card than it is finding a drive thru ATM in your rig to get cash for gas.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I always use plastic for fuel purchases, and pay the credit card bill when it's due. I don't like to carry enough cash to pay for all the gas I would use when on a trip, or around town for that matter.

Horizon170 wrote:
Company cards, yes.
We are cash only folks mostly however I do have one CC with a 1K limit for internet purchases.
Marvin
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Company cards, yes.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
He don't like Flying J/Pilot and they don't like him so best to keep it that way.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I don't care about discounts, I don't want multiple cards, i don't want anyone taking money from my checking account at the end of the month, I don't want to be a "member" of anything, and I don't have a need to do business with FJ. I was just pointing out they ARE different from they guys across the street where I can drive in, swipe my card, and load up on diesel fuel with zero hassles.

Dave

They don't take any money out of your account at the end of the month. YOU have to schedule when that happens. It's not automatic.

The RV Plus card does EXACTLY what you do across the street. Drive in, swipe the RV Plus card, fill up and drive way. But with the added benefit of NOT dealing with cramped parking and with people jumping in front of in the auto lanes.

But either way it's your decision where you purchase your fuel. Good luck with the way you do business.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I was just pointing out they ARE different from they guys across the street where I can drive in, swipe my card, and load up on diesel fuel with zero hassles.

Dave

Where they limit you to $100 at the pump, unless you go inside ad leave your card with the character working the counter.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care about discounts, I don't want multiple cards, i don't want anyone taking money from my checking account at the end of the month, I don't want to be a "member" of anything, and I don't have a need to do business with FJ. I was just pointing out they ARE different from they guys across the street where I can drive in, swipe my card, and load up on diesel fuel with zero hassles.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
The main complaint here seems to be with Pilot/FlyingJ when using a Credit Card and getting large holds on your card.

I have a question. Why is everyone using a credit card at PFJ? Get their RV Plus Card, you get up to a 9 cent discount off the CASH price, swipe at the pump, no holds, no set limits on how much you can fill before the pump shuts off, just fill up and then leave. What's so hard about that? No need to go inside and guess how much you think you need. If you really want a receipt then go inside a swipe you RV Plus Card at the fueling Kiosk and print a receipt. No need to go to the fuel desk unless you just want to.

It's obvious those of you using credit cards you have no clue how PFJ RV Plus card works and insist on stressing yourself out using your Credit Card. Get a clue, learn how the system works and stop complaining about how PFJ is killing your credit card.

I've been using the RV Plus Card since it was first offered 10 or 12 years ago. No problems, no issues no strange charges. The RV Plus Card IS NOT A CREDIT CARD. It can only be used at PFJ.

I've traveled across this county numerous times in the last 16 years of RVing, including a 16000 mile round trip to Alaska through Canada. I keep reading here about how PFJ is 50/60 cents higher than the station across the street. I find the opposite true. If there is another station near PFJ they typically match PFJ prices. Sure I've seen instances of cheaper prices of maybe 10/15 cents. BUT NOTHING APPROACHING 60 CENTS A GALLON.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Some people have a way to get a โ€˜double discountโ€™

If they purchased their RV at Camping World they get a Good Sam card they can swipe as a loyalty card at P/FJ - bigger discounts that the RV Plus Card. They can then use their โ€˜cash backโ€™ card to pay for the fuel.

So they can get 7 cents per gallon at the pump for gasoline from the Good Sam/ P-FJ Card, and get up to 15 cents per gallon cash back on their credit card company.

That means they are effectively paying 22 cents per gallon for gasoline less than the pump posted price. They are getting the gasoline for 16 cents per gallon than those of us who use the RV Plus card.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Didnt see anyone mention...Just get the Pilot/flying J fuel card. you get the discount, you can swipe at the pump. Nothing any easier. You pay the bill at the end of the month.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Compaired to auto and truck traffic, RV traffic is a pea in the pod. FJ could prohibit all RV traffic and never miss them. So, just continue accross the road to the small stations and help FJ out by not disturbing them.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Cocky_Camper wrote:
Our local Flying J started doing this too, but only on the RV lanes or diesel only lanes. If you get gas for the personal auto lanes, the hold it $75 or $125.
Maybe they should train their people to mention this.

Personally I like the fact that my CC company watches out for my card. The fact that I could go across the street and have no issue points me to FJ needing to address the issue either with the CC companies by separating their front pumps from the truck lanes or train their register people to steer people to the car lanes if they want.

Dave

You have done a good job of describing how most FJs are configured. There is typically a very large covered island, front and center of the convienence store, for small vehicle fueling. The entrance to this area has huge signs saying NO TRUCKS. There typically is a seperate truck entrance to a large collection of diesel fueling lanes. There are physical barriers to prevent trucks from accessing the "car" area. In most, but not all locations, the small vehicle portion of the property will have a dedicated RV fueling area, off to the side.

There are no issues with anybody fueling light cars and trucks. There are no issues with anybody filling a gas engine RV at the RV pumps, or the car pumps. There are no issues with commercial truck drivers using their traditional methods of payment at the diesel islands. There is one, and only one problem, that some can't seem to grasp. The company proactively protects themselves from drive offs by random, unknown, high volume buyers of diesel fuel by putting a $500 hold on their CC, unless you prepay. If you want a couple of hundred in diesel fuel, they (and many other suppliers) want to know, in advance, that they are going to get paid. It's pretty simple. I have been at many other independent and other brand locations, looking to fill my 80 gallon diesel tank at dedicated truck pumps, swiped a CC, and saw the "please see cashier" notice. It is what it is, and far from an issue that FJ created, nor is it specific to them.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
For the longest time I would use my CC at the fuel store paying the retail 'credit' price. I didn't like the idea of taking money out of my checking, etc., depending on how each company would do it.

Finally, I joined a fuel club with Love's where the money comes out of my checking acct. and I get the 'cash' price minus .10 per gallon at the pump. It's nice to get the discount but it's even nicer not having to go to the counter to pay!

I take a picture of the pump with my iphone for a receipt. This has worked well now for a couple of years now.

Off topic, but I've never had a ATM card. The bank always wants to give me one but I just don't need it. Now-a-days, a CC does 99% of what I need.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I always fuel at Pilot/FlyingJ. I have the Good Sam discount card with the automatic Payment. If I hit my 2500 limit I just pay and have the card available again. I get 8 cents off the cash price, so if CC is $3.00 and cash is $2.90 I pay $2.82. I like the trucker lanes because it fuels much faster. I have irradiated RV drivers behind me in the RV lanes because the diesel pumps are slower and when I put over 125 gallons in a 150 gallon tank it does take sometime.