Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Pilot flying j issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pilot flying j issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Swipe your card at the pump, they immediately place a hold, all stations do the same.

That's strange.
I have been through MT, ID, WA, OR, CA, UT, NV and WY in the last 10 years or so, and the only "hold" I ever saw on my account was $1. In the last 5 years, I haven't even seen that! That's using a debit card. I don't recall ever seeing a "hold" on a credit card.
I check my accounts every morning, whether traveling or at home, so if there was a "hold" I do believe I would see it.
I used to use Flying J almost exclusively when traveling. But, since the RV card is often refused now, and the prices aren't any better than the stations in town, I rarely use them these days.
When traveling in Montana, I am more apt to stop at a Town Pump.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best to avoid those crowded places. Too many troubles with waiting in line and big company policies. There is a price you pay for going 'Discount' stations. I look for no crowds and see if price is in the right range yet high enough to keep away the crowds. This way I get Two thumbs up experience when filling up.

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe if all you complainers would stay away, we appreciators would be able to get in without waiting so long. RECON?

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quit going to Flying-J when they got bout out by Loves. They used to be the cheapest but now they are the highest priced. I use gas buddys apt on my phone to fine cheapest fuel

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

Wandering Storm

David Brown Farm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your replies. Not using Pilot anymore except emergencies. My bank put a hold on my card because they saw this activity on my account as unusual activity and notified us immediately. Can’t fault my bank as they were protecting me. Pilot can do whatever they want but, from now on, to somebody else. Again thanks for help and advice. John McD

DickOK

Tucson Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In September we got fuel at a Flying hook in Amarillo TX. While pumping we got a text that a charge of $1 and $500 had been put on our charge at a Pilot. The credit card company cancelled our card. Had to get a new one. Bummer. A Pilot manager said to NEVER swipe your card at the pump but to prepay inside.

Dick OK

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wandering Storm wrote:

Thanks for your replies. Not using Pilot anymore except emergencies. My bank put a hold on my card because they saw this activity on my account as unusual activity and notified us immediately. Can’t fault my bank as they were protecting me. Pilot can do whatever they want but, from now on, to somebody else. Again thanks for help and advice. John McD

That does not make sense. A bank does not put an authorization hold for suspicious activity. They notify the card holder and give you the chance to cancel the card if it has been compromised.

So it wasn't Pilot but your spending patterns with the bank that flagged it.

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jim1521 wrote:

I'm always surprised when people buy gas/diesel at Pilot/Flying J/Loves. Even with the discount cards, you're still paying MUCH more than the other gas stations that are usually right across the street. Often $0.30 - $0.50/gallon more. That adds up over time.

How much of a discount are you getting? At the local Pilot here in Ft. Myers, they want $3.099/gallon for diesel. Everywhere else it's $2.699 - $2.799.

That may be your experience, in your neck of the woods, but in the areas of the western United States where we frequently do the most travel the exact opposite is true. Pilot/Flying J and Loves are typically within a few cents of each other and the "gas war" between the two of them usually renders them $0.30 - $0.50/gallon less than other gas stations or MORE if those stations are major oil companies like Shell, Chevron, Mobil...etc.

2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems the consensus is, FlyingJ/Pilot should put up a sign, RV's stay away. RV'ers hate them, they should return the favor.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

... A bank does not put an authorization hold for suspicious activity. They notify the card holder and give you the chance to cancel the card if it has been compromised.
My bank put my card on hold because I traveled out of state, purchased fuel, shopped at a Walmart and then then at Costco. Checking out at Costco my card was no good. The cashier said to check my texts and sure enough I had texts from my bank after each use. I just replied to the last one saying I was me and they replied my card was reactivated.

I think this is a great feature and I now remember to give my credit card company my travel plans beforehand.

Dave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pilot flying j issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS