Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What size 5th wheel do you pull with 3/4 ton?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Weight Issues

> What size 5th wheel do you pull with 3/4 ton?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Toyhaulernoob

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First post here... I will start off saying I do not own a 5th wheel toy hauler yet, I have been looking for awhile and cannot find one I like that my truck can tow, maybe I am being to anal about the weight ratings? But I do not want to cause any accidents or put anybody's life at harm because I neglected to follow the rules.

I have a 2017 4 door f250 4x4 platinum diesel that is rated for 10k, the truck empty is coming in at 8,000lb, sooo after a few passengers and a 5th wheel hitch I am stuck with a 1500lb pin weight? Every decent toy hauler I have seen even down to 32ft has a pin weight over 2,000 lbs. I know if you load some weight in the rear it reduces pin weight but no clue by how much?

Anyway, does nobody use a 3/4 ton?
Thanks

bpadamson

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 3/4 ton, but it is a gasser and an XLT so it weighs less than yours-- with hitch installed and other bed gear it is 7680. Our TH is 32 foot.

2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags, intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your payload? And the weight of your passengers and stuff in truck? Reduce pin weight below 20%? Hmmm

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not anal, just smart. That is the problem with 250s, lack of capacity and still be within the mfg specs. You will find lots of people that will tell you its no problem. But I did it for three years and was never happy about it. Instead of a fiver think lean more toward a TT. At least you will have a fighting chance to get what you want.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Toyhaulernoob

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family has a 28ft bumper and its not even a toy hauler, and it sucks! Can't get above 60mph without feeling like your going to flip over, I can't imagine a 30+ft, would hate to buy it then regret it.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll have a hard time finding a decent sized fiver and staying under payload rating of a 3/4t diesel truck. If you went by payload rating alone, most 3/4 truck with fivers would be overweight.

More important is to stay under the tire and axle ratings. Load up your truck and go to a scale. Measure the rear axle weight. A fivers pin weight is mostly carried on the rear axle so the difference between your loaded axle weight and the RAWR is what you can handle for pin weight.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have seen 1/2 ts pulling 14k 5ers. Guy brags about air bags, wheels, tires. We have also seen them at brake and tranny shops, by the side of the road with broken axles, piled up into the rear of traffic jams.
You cant have too much truck. Cheaper to get a heavier truck than to modify a light one.
Test Drive a 1 t, 3/4t, 1/2 t. You will lose your thought that a heavy truck rides rough, is hard to park and handle. Difference is minor, resale better. its worth my state of mind for my family that we have more than enough.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As has been stated, the biggest issue with 3/4-ton trucks is the rear axle capacity - not the "max tow rating." A trimmed-out F250 diesel with all the options (plus fuel, passengers, hitch, and junk) may end up with a little under 3,000 lbs. left to play with on the rear axle... but the, again, maybe not. The only way to know for sure is to load it up and drive to the nearest CAT scales to get separate front and rear axle weights. Be sure to figure in a couple of hundred pounds for a hitch if you don't have one in the truck already. Subtract the scale numbers from the numbers on the sticker on the driver's side door frame and you'll have your true usable payload. For non-toy-hauler fifth wheels, a good rule of thumb is to use 23% of the trailer's GVWR (not published pin weight) for a load pin weight. Toy haulers with something heavy in the garage can be a bit lighter on the pin, but usually not much because of handling ramifications.

We spent our first 15 months of full-timing with a 14K fifth wheel and a 3/4-ton truck (GMC 2500HD CC diesel) and were maxed out on the rear axle. When we had a chance to move into a DRW 1-ton in perfect condition, we jumped on it!

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Wherever we are for however long we stay...

Toyhaulernoob

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a scale at my house, I'll go get some #s, thanks.

Front axle: 4700
Rear: 3100

Sticker says front 5200, rear 6340
Gvwr 10k,

* This post was edited 12/30/17 09:23pm by Toyhaulernoob *

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you have 2200lbs left of your payload but over 3200lbs left of your rear axle rating. Most fiver tow'ers will go by the axle rating. Up to you which rating you are comfortable with.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Weight Issues

> What size 5th wheel do you pull with 3/4 ton?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS