cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to camping ha trip

orion1968
Explorer
Explorer
So we are new to camping. We should have our trailer by late march. I want to go on a short distance trip first. Is there a planner that you can plug a distance in and it can show you a radius of places to go? Lets say we want to head to Florida from Ohio. Is there a recommended route and places to stop?

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Newbie_J
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to RVing myself. I never even camped before. However after my wife passed away I wanted to attempt a new chapter in my life. I purchased a 26ft Travel trailer loaded up what I thought I might need and planned my route to Panama City Beach Nov 2017. It was about a 600 mile trip so being single and no dogs on my first trip I planned a stop about half way.
Once at my destination (7days) I planned an additional stop on my return trip.
I traveled numerous times before and had no reservations about taking off on a trip my first time out.
My weird way of thinking is a taught lesson is better than a bought lesson.
Anyway when I was packing up getting ready to return home the awning would not retract and no way to do it manually. I could hear the relay kicking in so I traced the wire from the outside to the connection inside found the problem and fixed it.
So my point is unless you have this type of problem solving abilities then staying close by couple of days getting to know your RV and using all of it fixtures is best.
On a side note, I loved the experience so much that once back I returned the RV to the dealership and traded it for a different one, more room, outside kitchen... etc and doing so in December I got a great deal as RV sales are going on. Headed out again in February.

Best of luck, happy travels.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
See if this helps:

Trip Planning Apps & Websites
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
As was noted in an above post, download the RV PARKY app onto your smart phone. Put in your starting location and the map will come up. It will show all campsites, Walmart stores, parks etc. Click on any icon and it will show what is available. It also shows distance to the site. It also shows low clearance's. Move map around follow where you want to go. I use this from Wi.to centeral Florida. I change my starting point every morning an figure out how many miles I want to go each day, then click on to a few sites until I find the miles I want. It's a great app. and free to download. Have fun and enjoy your new RV.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No longer being published but Microsoft Streets and Trips you can drop the cursor on an intersection pick a road and then say "Give me all casmpgrounds within xx miles. (ALong with other attractions)

It is not quite as simple as I am typing, but I suspect most Map programs have like features.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with other comments, just adding my 3 cents. once you get it, stay at home at least a couple nights if you can. If not go to a near by place and set up. this will allow you to familiar yourself with the workings of the unit. Learn how to be conservative on water and electricity. Even going to an RV park and set up but not using electric and water will be good for you to understand the workings and capacities. You will be in a place to flush and fill if needed earlier than what you may expect. There will be others in the park that would be glad to help understand things. Don't go and buy the farm before you go, add things that you want as you go and be careful about buying every gimmick and gadget there is. The list goes on and on. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
That driveway is going to be a great practice ground for you. Not every campsite you come across is going to be level. Better to figure it out at home with no pressure, than with a crowd of people watching while rigs stack up because you are blocking the access road.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

orion1968
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway is ~45' long but unfortunately it is slopped a bit. Some days when I look at I say no problem backing in the 5th wheel then other I say no way it will drag. We will be towing with a short box with the Andersen hitch.

thanks for all the info.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and congrats on the purchase of your new camper. If you live near Cincy, Ohio, then you have options for a March campout. But the question, how far do you want to travel. Most KOA's are open all winter in Kentucky and Tennessee. In March, the weather will be much more pleasant if follow I-75 South and get about half way through Kentucky and if you go on into Tennessee, you'll have no problems with full hook ups, especially at KOA campgrounds. (I know, we've used several ourselves in Kentucky, Tennessee, North and South Carolina in March (week of March 10) and in December (week of Christmas). We just returned from our Christmas week in South Carolina (Stayed at Santee State Park) for the week. We also stayed at a KOA in North Carolina, along I-40 for an over night and to de-winterize.

March has losts of options, but here again, you'll need to get about 100 miles South of Cincy. State Parks are open too year round, and not very busy at all from November to about mid-April in the Smokey Mountain, Cumberland Gap, Lexington, Kentucky and Knoxville, TN areas. Of course, if you go on to South Carolina, pretty much everything is open in the State.

If all your wanting to do is a couple shake down trips, then your best bet is to do a couple drive-way camps, and if you can't do that because of housing or zoning restrictions, then your next best option is to wait until about 2nd week in April when campground in Indiana and Ohio begin to open up, turn on water, and get things running.

FYI, we go to South Carolina, Georgia, or Northern Florida over the week of March 10. I leave the camper winterized until that trip. I unwinterize once out of Indiana, and leave it that way when returning home (Usually the 2nd-3rd week in March).

Hope this helps.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Orion,

Just for giggles, I went back to my trusty Street Alas (OOP) and asked. It thinks that Cinci to St. Augustine is 840 miles. That makes it a two day run with the new house in tow.

I forgot to mention that you should get familiar with an app called GasBuddy. It can save you a lot of money and time. You will also need Google earth to look at the fuel stops before you get there so you know that you can get the rig in there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Orion,

You have some good advice here, but you also ask a lot of unsaid questions and as you are new, I am going with the first night in the driveway plan. This is always a good thing.

But, let's go on...
The good planners are all gone, so let's not bother with them. You can start for free at a site Furkotwhich is a very powerful planner, but much of it's effectiveness is almost Easter Egg. The help files are good, but it will take some sitting time to even figure out how to make it work. The circle i is the help button. The thing it does not have, is a clearance filter. I hope that you have a number for this. When you get one, take a china marker and write it at the top of your TV (Tow Vehicle - it won't do much good in the entertainment center - I'll give you a moment to think about why I had to add that) windshield.

Problem with Furkot and everything else that is available today is that they are all webapps. Even if you carry wire (we do have internet access underway), it will still be limited value as data coverage outside of the eastcoast megopolis is spotty.

Now, a place to set up and camp - In Cinci? Right? Well, start by joining FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc). This is not expensive and they have some good benefits. The first thing you want is the FHU (Full Hook Up- Water, Electric & Sewer) at their Round Bottom Road site. I can't think of a better place to learn about parking and setting up. I think you can pay to stay if not FMCA, but I have never not been, so I am not certain.

If you chose to do this, I suggest that you only consider accessing via Round Bottom Road. Batavia Pike will bring you straight in from exit 63, but the is a 300+ ft change in elevation that could be scary for a first time. (In a few thousand miles, it won't matter.)

There is another part of your learning curve that you have to climb every early. If you used to travel by car, an 800+ mile day is not all that bad. Riding in a truck and towing a behemoth makes this a very different situation. A 400 mile day will be a lot. There will be much greater difficulty in quick stops for fuel, food and nature.

Driving and parking will be a new experience. Speaking of parking, if you don't have two cellphone, get a pair of little radios and practice both talking and parking - not at home. Take the trailer to a vacant parking lot and take along a couple of trash cans to mark you "camp site". When you are though running them over, then take the 5er home and try it there.

At this point, I will wish you many amazing stops and many boring hours of driving. Sometimes we don't need excitement.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
For campgrounds around you, try RVParkreviews. There are other online sites with campground reviews and locations, I am sure other people will chime in.

Also ask here on these forums! People here can you give very updated info about routes - heck, someone here probably traveled where you are thinking about last night, lol!

I do recommend "driveway camping" at your house for one or two weekends to figure out the basics of what you need. Then I would recommend a weekend camping trip about 20-30 minutes away, so you can return home to get what you need. And try to get a campground near a shopping center / Walmart so you can get supplies.

So, after buying all the stuff you think you need, you will spend the next 10 years cleaning out the camper of the stuff you don't really need! lol!

Then.... Go! Plan your trips - I like to ask here on these forums, and use a website like RVParkreviews for planning. On this forum I give a description of my truck and camper, destination, and possible routes. Usually a bunch of people give up to date replies with road conditions and suggestions.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with most of the others on keeping the first (maybe first few) trips short. As to finding campgrounds in an area, try RVPARKY It's available in the google playstore and lets you put in a location and then shows available facilities within a set distance, it also will give some descriptions and pricing info as well as a map of the area.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a driveway that will accommodate your FW, I suggest you do a couple of nights "camping" in your driveway. When you find you need something that you forgot, run in the house and get it, write it on a list. Then, later, go purchase one to replace the one you swiped.

I am going to contradict Veebyes and suggest your first trip be a short one. The reason is that it is stressful towing when you are new at it. A short trip allows you to get some experience under your belt without feeling that you are committed to a long haul. Once you have merged onto the interstate, or changed lanes, etc., a few times, you will begin to be more confident for the next, maybe longer, trip.

Good luck with your new baby. I wish you many carefree miles and many happy memories in your RV.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A paper map, a ruler to set a compass & a pencil should do pretty good for a trip radius. There is really no need to keep the trip close to home. Everything that is available close to home is also available hundreds of miles away.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995