Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New to camping ha trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New to camping ha trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
orion1968

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we are new to camping. We should have our trailer by late march. I want to go on a short distance trip first. Is there a planner that you can plug a distance in and it can show you a radius of places to go? Lets say we want to head to Florida from Ohio. Is there a recommended route and places to stop?

Thanks

jcsb

Sharonville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, you were asking about a short trip. A weekend, several days, a week, an overnight, what is short.

I would suggest you consider a 2 or 3 days not more than a couple of hours from home.

You will need time to get familiar with your RV and if you have not packed the things you find you need, it will be much easier to get them in familiar suroundings.

Not familiar with where in Ohio you are or what your rv will be, a trailer, a motor coach etc, it is difficult to answer your other questions.

As to sources for trip planning, there are several on the internet.

You will be better off doing a search on here using all the listing of forums and you should find them. There are ones for computers, phones, tablets etc.

Jim Hunter

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Maps will do that. And Park Advisor app.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your trailer going to be suitable for cold weather use? If the tanks and plumbing are exposed, it would not be wise to use it (or at least the water system) in the Ohio area in March. Even if it is, I would generally suggest waiting until somewhat warmer weather before going on a maiden voyage. Then, too, I rather doubt that too many campgrounds in the area would be open in March or early April, and if they are open whether they'd have the water hookups turned on.

The very first trip I'd suggest would be about 25' or so from your house, if that's possible. Camp in your own driveway. Keep tabs on what essential things you need but don't have in the camper, and get them or at least write down a list of items to bring in when you leave. Try out the various systems--heat, electric connection, water fill, water pump, water heater, microwave and fridge, etc. and make sure you generally understand how they work. If you have a sewer cleanout reasonably close to your driveway (which you probably do if you're on municipal sewer), you can dump your holding tanks there.

As far as actual trips, you probably know as well as anyone where you'd like to go and how far you can travel in a day and so forth. Do plan on covering less ground while towing an RV than when driving a car, and allow time to set up and break camp, when figuring your daily distances. Some people don't like to go more than a couple hundred miles or a few hours in a day, and others (particularly with multiple drivers) are willing to go ten or twelve hours before stopping. Once you have a rough idea of how far you're going in a day and a potential route, you can divide it into segments and see what campgrounds or other accommodations are available around your potential stopping points.

For going to Florida, I-77 covers more mountainous terrain (with some non-trivial grades that require a little care, though certainly nothing at all impossible if you have an appropriate setup) while I-75 goes through Atlanta, which can be quite a mess with traffic. I might investigate US27 from Chattanooga to Tallahassee.

I don't know offhand of anything that gives campgrounds within a specific radius of a location, though doubtless something exists. You can use e.g. Google maps to look up "camping near " and similar searches.

orion1968

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be in a 5th wheel and want a "shake down trip" close by the Cincinnati area. I have family in the Jacksonville/ St. Augustine areas so I will frequent that area. I am familiar with both traditional ways and would not mind the SC rout during the day but not at night.
Thanks

orion1968

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh and it will have the polar package.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A paper map, a ruler to set a compass & a pencil should do pretty good for a trip radius. There is really no need to keep the trip close to home. Everything that is available close to home is also available hundreds of miles away.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a driveway that will accommodate your FW, I suggest you do a couple of nights "camping" in your driveway. When you find you need something that you forgot, run in the house and get it, write it on a list. Then, later, go purchase one to replace the one you swiped.

I am going to contradict Veebyes and suggest your first trip be a short one. The reason is that it is stressful towing when you are new at it. A short trip allows you to get some experience under your belt without feeling that you are committed to a long haul. Once you have merged onto the interstate, or changed lanes, etc., a few times, you will begin to be more confident for the next, maybe longer, trip.

Good luck with your new baby. I wish you many carefree miles and many happy memories in your RV.

DW me, and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie!)
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with most of the others on keeping the first (maybe first few) trips short. As to finding campgrounds in an area, try RVPARKY It's available in the google playstore and lets you put in a location and then shows available facilities within a set distance, it also will give some descriptions and pricing info as well as a map of the area.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For campgrounds around you, try RVParkreviews. There are other online sites with campground reviews and locations, I am sure other people will chime in.

Also ask here on these forums! People here can you give very updated info about routes - heck, someone here probably traveled where you are thinking about last night, lol!

I do recommend "driveway camping" at your house for one or two weekends to figure out the basics of what you need. Then I would recommend a weekend camping trip about 20-30 minutes away, so you can return home to get what you need. And try to get a campground near a shopping center / Walmart so you can get supplies.

So, after buying all the stuff you think you need, you will spend the next 10 years cleaning out the camper of the stuff you don't really need! lol!

Then.... Go! Plan your trips - I like to ask here on these forums, and use a website like RVParkreviews for planning. On this forum I give a description of my truck and camper, destination, and possible routes. Usually a bunch of people give up to date replies with road conditions and suggestions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New to camping ha trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS