cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medication Question

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, folks. I've been sick for several days (I think it's a flu), with symptoms in the chest and sinuses. I'm very skeptical about products hawked on TV, such a Theraflu and Mucinex. Have any of you found a product that actually works as advertised? Thanks for your suggestions.
16 REPLIES 16

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Bachelor wrote:
Thanks, Chris. I may give that a try. My doctor won't be available for several days. Besides, doctors sometimes prescribe antibiotics, which are ineffective for a flu-like illness.

Wife just went through this, Musinex worked great, also DR said if cough was unproductive that it was inflammation and that point antibiotic was best course.

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Well, whatever hit me is just about gone. Only an occasional lingering cough. So, I've stopped all meds. Hopefully, I won't suffer a relapse. The symptoms were nasty!

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well, I went to Walmart yesterday and purchased their equivalent for Theraflu, under WM's brand 'Equate'. The ingredients are similar to the highly advertised Theraflu's. I took one dose about mid afternoon and got really good relief for about 12 hours. My sinuses were virtually clear and I didn't start sneezing until about 4 AM this morning. That being so, I'll take the med this evening, so it should last the entire night. I've had good results with 'Equate' products.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
mucinex... no matter if its a cold or the flu.

I have found nyquil gelcaps to work also, but the only downside is, they will keep you in a stupor until you stop taking them... arguably, this may not be a downside, as when one has a severe case of the flu, the best way to suffer thru it is to be "out of it" until it passes... either way, LOTS of liquids and no solid foods.... your body will do best if it gets its nourishment thru bouillon broth and juice's...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Got flu shot? (previously of course)

Only 7-10% effective this year.

I had a bad reaction to it a few years ago. First one I can remember having. I never got one again.

Understanding the life cycle of the flu virus is important. The virus starts its life in Asia and moves around the globe over the year. What variant the shot is made from (and effective against), may not be the variant going around in your region at a particular time.

The doctor should only prescribe antibiotics if the flu has developed into bronchitis or pneumonia. The best way to prevent either of those is to blow your nose frequently and NEVER suck the phlem back in.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

A little side note, while I was looking for relief from a cold,and as a Coumadien, (Warfarin) user I am restricted to what OTC and Prescriptions I can use. I Found This ,I thought it may be helpful to others.

Thanks for that- my Dad had a bad cold also, and is on warfarin, and I bought him zinc lozenges- luckily he read the warnings, and the specifically warn against using if you're on the blood thinner.
That cold bug was going around here, and it is hard to shake- the doc said most took several weeks to get over it.
-- Chris Bryant

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will go along with the others on this and recommend Mucinex,(Guaifenesin)that is what I have used in the past and it worked very well.

A little side note, while I was looking for relief from a cold,and as a Coumadien, (Warfarin) user I am restricted to what OTC and Prescriptions I can use. I Found This ,I thought it may be helpful to others.

Oh and BTW I am just starting to feel better from a bad cold that hit Christmas........With the help of these things.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Only 7-10% effective this year.

I had a bad reaction to it a few years ago. First one I can remember having. I never got one again.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Mucinex actually works quite well- that's what my 89 year old fathers doctor told him to take. He explained that when it gets to your lungs, you don't want a decongestant, which works by drying up the mucus, rather you want an expectorant, which will loosen the mucus, so you can cough it up.
He said just regular Mucinex, not the dm, which has a decongestant.

Yep.

Along with LOTS of fluids, which are necessary to thin the mucus so it can come out. Gross, but true.

If it's just a cold, you will get better.

If you keep on getting worse, you may have a sinus infection and/or bronchitis. For those things, you need a doctor. If yours is not available, go to an urgent care clinic.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
hope the flu leaves AZ by the middle of feb, and I too have been told thats the best stuff to use, stay home,warm and hope it passes.soon.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant wrote:
Mucinex actually works quite well- that's what my 89-year-old father's doctor told him to take. He explained that when it gets to your lungs, you don't want a decongestant, which works by drying up the mucus, rather you want an expectorant, which will loosen the mucus, so you can cough it up.
He said just regular Mucinex, not the dm, which has a decongestant.

X2

Just got back from a 12 day trip to San Diego dealing with my 90-year-old dad who had the flu...BAD! During a 12 hour stay in the ER at Mercy Hospital, the advice above was repeated by three different doctors. This year is the worst in decades for the flu and it is extremely contagious, if you have it, please stay home!

My wife and daughter both got it from dad but somehow I managed to get by {and we all had our flu shots}.

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Chris. I may give that a try. My doctor won't be available for several days. Besides, doctors sometimes prescribe antibiotics, which are ineffective for a flu-like illness.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use Bourbon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad