Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Medication Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bachelor

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, folks. I've been sick for several days (I think it's a flu), with symptoms in the chest and sinuses. I'm very skeptical about products hawked on TV, such a Theraflu and Mucinex. Have any of you found a product that actually works as advertised? Thanks for your suggestions.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bachelor wrote:

Hello, folks. I've been sick for several days (I think it's a flu), with symptoms in the chest and sinuses. I'm very skeptical about products hawked on TV, such a Theraflu and Mucinex. Have any of you found a product that actually works as advertised? Thanks for your suggestions.

The product I found to work best when I am sick is a visit to my doctor, not a post on the internet!

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mucinex actually works quite well- that's what my 89 year old fathers doctor told him to take. He explained that when it gets to your lungs, you don't want a decongestant, which works by drying up the mucus, rather you want an expectorant, which will loosen the mucus, so you can cough it up.
He said just regular Mucinex, not the dm, which has a decongestant.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Bourbon.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Bachelor

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Chris. I may give that a try. My doctor won't be available for several days. Besides, doctors sometimes prescribe antibiotics, which are ineffective for a flu-like illness.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

Mucinex actually works quite well- that's what my 89-year-old father's doctor told him to take. He explained that when it gets to your lungs, you don't want a decongestant, which works by drying up the mucus, rather you want an expectorant, which will loosen the mucus, so you can cough it up.

X2

Just got back from a 12 day trip to San Diego dealing with my 90-year-old dad who had the flu...BAD! During a 12 hour stay in the ER at Mercy Hospital, the advice above was repeated by three different doctors. This year is the worst in decades for the flu and it is extremely contagious, if you have it, please stay home!

My wife and daughter both got it from dad but somehow I managed to get by {and we all had our flu shots}.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hope the flu leaves AZ by the middle of feb, and I too have been told thats the best stuff to use, stay home,warm and hope it passes.soon.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

Mucinex actually works quite well- that's what my 89 year old fathers doctor told him to take. He explained that when it gets to your lungs, you don't want a decongestant, which works by drying up the mucus, rather you want an expectorant, which will loosen the mucus, so you can cough it up.

Yep.

Along with LOTS of fluids, which are necessary to thin the mucus so it can come out. Gross, but true.

If it's just a cold, you will get better.

If you keep on getting worse, you may have a sinus infection and/or bronchitis. For those things, you need a doctor. If yours is not available, go to an urgent care clinic.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

2oldman

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got flu shot? (previously of course)

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Got flu shot? (previously of course)

Only 7-10% effective this year.

I had a bad reaction to it a few years ago. First one I can remember having. I never got one again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS