Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
babock

Los Angeles, CA

Full Member

Joined: 12/18/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/13/18 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

lgarcia wrote:

No slides for us...Results in a fast setup.


I hear ya. Our slides take an extra 60 seconds or so to deploy [emoticon]

Lots of reasons to chose slides or not, but speed of setup is likely not one of them [emoticon]
I agree...talk about a non reason for not have having slides!

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/13/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve heard (maybe read) that you shouldn’t use a slide that is partially deployed. That actually makes sense. When fully in or out, the slide frame seats against the frame of the opening. Essentially the slide can “hang” from the opening toward the inside or outside. When partially deployed all of the weight is on the rollers and tracks.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/14/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Does it state anywhere in that 40 page manual that it is OK to use the slides when retracted?

If so, then YOU should provide a link... Just stating it doesn't make it so.

Manufacturers are often silent on things that they prefer to be quiet on. They like to be as they know that people may want to use their product in a way that is detrimental... They will then deny a warranty claim when damage occurs.
Only if they specifically state it is OK, will they stand behind it 100 percent.
Lifted trucks are a great example of this unspoken policy.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a slide when retracted is just floating above the floor unsupported..... HAS to be weaker than when it is deployed and fully supported.

As I stated before, some maunfacturers DO warn against this. And some are silent. I am unaware of ANY that state it is OK.


In a situation like slides, the proof of prohibition would be on the manufacturer not the user. If it went to court it would be on the manufacturer to prove that it was obvious and reasonable for a user to know it shouldn't be used when undeployed. How is that obvious and reasonable when a motorhome has seat belts on the couch that sits in the slide? Or that a trailer has cupboards in the slide that may be gotten into during quick stops.

A lifted truck is different because it is an aftermarket add on to the vehicle. The manufacturer is denying claims due to an alteration of the factory product. A slide is NOT an aftermarket add on. It IS part of the original factory product.
MH slides are not TT slides. Have you ever seen a seat belt in a TT?

I am not going to get into what it would take for a legal fight ... That talk is prohibited on this forum.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.



colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 01/14/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:



FYI

For those that are advocating being able to use the TT with the slides in.....
You are NOT supposed to use the slides when they are retracted.
the slides are mostly unsupported and at their weakest then. Most all manufacturers warn against doing this.
I am unaware of ANY that say it's OK.
While I would agree with the flat floor slideouts, not all trailers use that design. Some slide out like a shelf and have the same support as when they are extended. The flat floor design uses the trailer floor for support of the front of the slide.

TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/14/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I am not going to get into what it would take for a legal fight ... That talk is prohibited on this forum.


Why make it a "fight" at all? Simply post some facts, pictures, or other proof of your statements. Facts are NOT prohibited on these forums. Unsubstantiated claims are often challenged.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/18 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Huntindog wrote:



FYI

For those that are advocating being able to use the TT with the slides in.....
You are NOT supposed to use the slides when they are retracted.
the slides are mostly unsupported and at their weakest then. Most all manufacturers warn against doing this.
I am unaware of ANY that say it's OK.
While I would agree with the flat floor slideouts, not all trailers use that design. Some slide out like a shelf and have the same support as when they are extended. The flat floor design uses the trailer floor for support of the front of the slide.
I have not seen any slide that wasn't a flat floor for many years. Are they still making them?
If so, the numbers gotta be pretty low.
I would not ever buy one.


SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/18 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I have not seen any slide that wasn't a flat floor for many years. Are they still making them?


Not the case at all ... most Coachmen Freedom Express models with a slide have a slide that is flush with the floor but my own 192RBS would be an exception, having neither a flush floor or above floor platform slide but rather a sofa slide which can be used whether retracted or extended. In contrast the entire Coachmen Apex line uses platform slides which are elevated above the trailer's main floor and use an entirely different slide mechanism. As a previous K-Z owner I'm also aware that many models manufactured by that company use above floor slides as well. I've never owned a Lance but as I recall all their models also use an above floor slide system. Further investigation would no doubt also reveal plenty of other examples of above floor slides.


2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS * 2003 Fleetwood Yuma
2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX * 2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe * 1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

FYI

For those that are advocating being able to use the TT with the slides in.....
You are NOT supposed to use the slides when they are retracted.
the slides are mostly unsupported and at their weakest then. Most all manufacturers warn against doing this.
I am unaware of ANY that say it's OK.


SoundGuy wrote:

FYI

Declaring this doesn't make it so. [emoticon]

I just went through all 48 pages of my "Coachmen Travel Trailer / Fifth Wheel Owner's Manual" and nowhere does it make any mention of any kind saying the slide(s) can't be used when retracted. My own 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express has now been through 5 camping seasons and I use it with the slide retracted much more often than I do with it deployed, especially here at the house where I'm in it pretty well every day. I've had no issues with this slide to date and because this is our first slide trailer I question whether the day will come when it won't behave as it should but I have no reason to believe it would have anything to do with using the slide in the retracted position. If anything, any failure would be the result of misalignment or excessive wear caused by repeated use. Coachmen doesn't caution against using the slide in the retracted position and without documented proof to the contrary nor should you without a link to documentation that indicates otherwise.


Huntindog wrote:

Does it state anywhere in that 40 page manual that it is OK to use the slides when retracted?

If so, then YOU should provide a link... Just stating it doesn't make it so.

Manufacturers are often silent on things that they prefer to be quiet on. They like to be as they know that people may want to use their product in a way that is detrimental... They will then deny a warranty claim when damage occurs.
Only if they specifically state it is OK, will they stand behind it 100%.
Lifted trucks are a great example of this unspoken policy.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a slide when retracted is just floating above the floor unsupported..... HAS to be weaker than when it is deployed and fully supported.

As I stated before, some maunfacturers DO warn against this. And some are silent. I am unaware of ANY that state it is OK.


Your argument is ridiculous, just as is your silly blue text. [emoticon] If any manufacturer believed that using any of their slides while in the retracted position was detrimental they would say so clearly. Nowhere in my aforementioned Coachmen TT / 5th Wheel onwer's manual which would cover all Coachmen products in these categories does it say anything at all about not using the slide in the retracted position. I have a zippered 3-ring binder in which I keep all my trailer related documentation, adding to it as I may add something (such as an inverter) to my trailer. I have everything related to this trailer, including also a 40 page Lippert Components "Towable RV Components Manual". Pages 1 thru 12 deal specifically with 4 different types of Lippert slideout mechanisms and describes in detail just how the systems work, what maintenance may be required, and how to deal with any issues that may arise but nowhere does it warn against using the slide(s) when in a retracted position. The closest it comes is to say the unit should be level before the system is operated, that it must not be operated with the unit in motion (DOH!), and it should (obviously) be clear of any obstructions when in operation. If "some manufacturers warn against" using a slide in the retracted position as you claim then point us to documentation that supports this claim, otherwise you're just blowing wind. [emoticon]

TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always remove sofas, appliances, chairs, tables, and footstools before retracting slides. "Everyone" knows that they will collapse otherwise.

temccarthy1

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/15/18 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

FYI

For those that are advocating being able to use the TT with the slides in.....
You are NOT supposed to use the slides when they are retracted.
the slides are mostly unsupported and at their weakest then. Most all manufacturers warn against doing this.
I am unaware of ANY that say it's OK.


SoundGuy wrote:

FYI

Declaring this doesn't make it so. [emoticon]

I just went through all 48 pages of my "Coachmen Travel Trailer / Fifth Wheel Owner's Manual" and nowhere does it make any mention of any kind saying the slide(s) can't be used when retracted. My own 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express has now been through 5 camping seasons and I use it with the slide retracted much more often than I do with it deployed, especially here at the house where I'm in it pretty well every day. I've had no issues with this slide to date and because this is our first slide trailer I question whether the day will come when it won't behave as it should but I have no reason to believe it would have anything to do with using the slide in the retracted position. If anything, any failure would be the result of misalignment or excessive wear caused by repeated use. Coachmen doesn't caution against using the slide in the retracted position and without documented proof to the contrary nor should you without a link to documentation that indicates otherwise.


Huntindog wrote:

Does it state anywhere in that 40 page manual that it is OK to use the slides when retracted?

If so, then YOU should provide a link... Just stating it doesn't make it so.

Manufacturers are often silent on things that they prefer to be quiet on. They like to be as they know that people may want to use their product in a way that is detrimental... They will then deny a warranty claim when damage occurs.
Only if they specifically state it is OK, will they stand behind it 100%.
Lifted trucks are a great example of this unspoken policy.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a slide when retracted is just floating above the floor unsupported..... HAS to be weaker than when it is deployed and fully supported.

As I stated before, some maunfacturers DO warn against this. And some are silent. I am unaware of ANY that state it is OK.


Your argument is ridiculous, just as is your silly blue text. [emoticon] If any manufacturer believed that using any of their slides while in the retracted position was detrimental they would say so clearly. Nowhere in my aforementioned Coachmen TT / 5th Wheel onwer's manual which would cover all Coachmen products in these categories does it say anything at all about not using the slide in the retracted position. I have a zippered 3-ring binder in which I keep all my trailer related documentation, adding to it as I may add something (such as an inverter) to my trailer. I have everything related to this trailer, including also a 40 page Lippert Components "Towable RV Components Manual". Pages 1 thru 12 deal specifically with 4 different types of Lippert slideout mechanisms and describes in detail just how the systems work, what maintenance may be required, and how to deal with any issues that may arise but nowhere does it warn against using the slide(s) when in a retracted position. The closest it comes is to say the unit should be level before the system is operated, that it must not be operated with the unit in motion (DOH!), and it should (obviously) be clear of any obstructions when in operation. If "some manufacturers warn against" using a slide in the retracted position as you claim then point us to documentation that supports this claim, otherwise you're just blowing wind. [emoticon]


Hey "Sound Off" Guy
We have a Keystone Ultralite Bullet TT and my Keystone manual says " Do not sit on the sofa or dinette when slide room retracted nor step on the carpeted floor as it is not supported in retracted mode" There are a LOT of Keystone Ultralites out there and Bullet and Passport are just 2 of Keystone's Ultralite brands. We are very careful not to step on edge of slide floor when retracted as it is clearly about 1 inch off floor. So-- those warnings do actually exist!


Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS