Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: RATS!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RATS!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jadednightdragon

RV park

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone!

I own a 2002 Alumascape. For the past month or so, we have been fighting a rat (well, field mouse) problem. We have found several holes (2 caused by these guys, and a bunch left by the good people of Holiday Rambler) that we've closed up. Despite all this, we still heard the darn things.

We have a tripod on ours, as we live in it year round. I was curious if they were some how getting up through the tongue. So I took axle grease and coated the top part of the tripod arms. In the morning we saw tracks from them. So, we've removed the tripod and we're looking for a way to "rat proof" it.

I don't want to use Great Stuff to fill it, due to the cable that comes out of it, so I'm hoping someone may have an idea of what we can do.

Thanks!
Theresa

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Conventional traps for your current visitors. Steel wool in the openings to deter future visits.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Conventional traps for your current visitors. Steel wool in the openings to deter future visits.

Yep.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Yep.

You might consider something like a squirrel baffle like people use on birdfeeders, to go on the tripod legs.

jadednightdragon

RV park

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure the present visitors have left, as we haven't heard anything. But we still have a whole bunch of traps everywhere. They got behind the wall radio in the living room.

I would be using a lot of steel wool, because there's the side holes. Do you think mesh fencing would work? Inside our tongue there's two opening that go along above the tongue, and I think that's where they're coming in. I've attached a pic, if that helps.[image]

If anyone is having this issue, these traps are THE BEST! I've tried using the traditional ones, and just about broke all my finger tips. I've done equal part baking soda, flour and sugar.

Edit: For some reason the pic won't show, so here's a link: Tongue Pic

* This post was edited 12/31/17 08:23pm by jadednightdragon *

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just get rid of the tripod for awhile and see if it helps. Tripods don't much for stability anyway.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard peppermint spray works.

Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Diesel Dually

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the opening you could cut hardware cloth, and attach it. On the bait, just stop using the sugar bait before spring or you will be attracting ants and roaches.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only real way to stop all the madness of mice or rats is 'traps'.

Ya for a couple of days you will be picking up dead rats in a trap but after trying other numerous ways, I have found you just have to bite the bullet and put traps out and be done with it.

since I moved out in the woods I have found they come in waves. If you set traps and kill 'all' that are there, you will be rat free for the year and maybe have to set them again.

My next mission was to find a trap that doesn't try to take your fingers off when setting it and a quick release so you don't have to get anywhere's near their dead bodies like those old wooden/wire traps!

These are the only traps I will use now they are just super to use. So easy to set without it biting you when you set it down like the wood ones. And they catch all of them, no more tripped trap no mouse.

Comes in 'mouse' size and 'rat' size. All plastic. And they WORK.
[image]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remember a mouse can get threw a hole the size of a dime, traps ,to catch them , fresh cab ,and peppermint oil to keep them away , never seen that style trap looks good. just a dap of peanut butter on the trap will get them .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RATS!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS