Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good spot to spend the winter in Mexico
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Good spot to spend the winter in Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Talleyho69

Silver Strand Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were able to buy our house for what our Safari cost new.

We also will be selling the place on Silver Strand this year, living in Zihuatanejo full time.

We are beach people, and it came down to water temperature. California water is too cold for us, Z water is perfect. Love the climate, and the bugs aren't bad. Really.

Once we realized that we had spent 6 months a year here for 11 years, the decision was easy to make!

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations!

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOT A JOKE
The bugs can get fierce ANYWHERE if a hurricane sucks them from a marsh or lagoon. No-see-ums hatch in standing salt or brackish water. This is why enramada owners wet down their sand with fresh water every morning.

The most negative point about living in a steep walled enclosed bay is the hills cut off the badly needed summer breeze. Many times went to Z where temps were 90+ with 80+ humidity while Las Penas was mid eighties with 60% humidity. My secret is a hideout -- a small interior room. No windows. Recliner and internet. Window air conditioner through the concrete wall. When my Mexican neighbors saw what I did, hideouts started being constructed in some homes. Right on the water, it is 7-8 degrees cooler than it is 200 yards inland.

Both Quicksilver and the casita have 36" square grid teak shower platforms. Nothing feels as good against my feet. And multiple showers a day make it a delight. My kid has been bugging me for an LPG clothes drier. Really handy in the summer months.

CRACK OF DAWN: Upandattem. Coffee. Tour garden and admire the sun rising on the Pacific ocean. The sun rises and sets on the winter ocean here. The coastline is west to east here, just a tad to the northeast.

Around ten or so in the summer the sun gets hot. Cruise on down to the enramada. Listen to gossip and neighbor Andrea's lurid jokes. Daughter, son-in-law are not coffee people. Dalia, age 12 is a snob. She insists on poaching my whole bean fresh roast.

Liquify tropical fruit. Freeze upright in sandwich bags. When it's blinding hot suck on the contents of a bag. The girls drink pint slushies (sugar forbidden) it chills them to the point of goose bumps in 85F weather.

NOTHING works as good as pure Pennyroyal Oil to thwart all classes of insects. One single solitary drop applied to the hands. Rub on all unclothed flesh. Pennyroyal Oil protects against Jejenes grandotes, and Tabanos, which laugh and bite straight through an oil slick of 100% DEET.

Men get strange whispers when carrying an umbrella. That is, only until the mgic word is whispered --- CANCER. A "Para Sol" does its work. Portable shade tree. Parked in the sun for many hours? Carry a silver colored tarp and half dozen of those featherweight packing blocks. Arrange the blocks. Toss the tarp across the top of the car. Cover the windshield. Slam the ends in the doors. Magic to stop car a la oven.

Slippers at night for bathroom runs -- scorpions. This tip will bring laughs until one is stepped on. Ultraviolet flashlight for checking bathrooms for scorpions at night. Again, this brings gales of laughter --- until the nighttime air is rent with screams and paint peeling expletives.

Talleyho69

Silver Strand Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like our life just a bit south of you.

Get up with the sun, hit the beach and run with the dogs (Mexican weimaraners) and swim. Return them to the casa and paddle board. Then, anything else done during the day is a bonus. Hang in the shade, use the "quiet" room, shower when you get gross.

Life is wonderful!

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

75k will buy a lot of house or land in Mexico. Lots of gated communities, quintas in far from town areas. Granted it may not be beach property but it is definitely middle class neighborhoods.

We found a new house in SMA outside the historic area with an empty lot next door that would make a great outdoor area for 75K everything included with rooftop terrace.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69

Silver Strand Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds fabulous if you aren't beachies, and we don't want a gated community-we live here with everyone else.

We love SMA and would love to go back and forth from the beach, but, as you said, we aren't in that position.

The four of us will have to meet sometime in the near future and compare homes.
And thanks for your insurance help, we'll likely need more!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Church and Cathedral frontispieces get old therefore invisible after awhile. Leaving the remainder of a "Colonial City" as the basis for whether the area holds enough intrinsic interest. For me only San Cristobal de Las Casas would fill that hole.

In areas of tropical savanna the vegetation itself can be mesmerizing. Couple that with the life, the people and the beach and it may appeal a whole lot more than simply being in Mexico. Not to under rate that. For me my family is 80% of the reason I prefer down here to "up there".

A summer afternoon spent under the patio overhang, listening to the roar of rain, tingling with chilly downdrafts watching the children pirouette soaking wet in the rain is enjoyable. Teasing Brenda. And Jesus' family. About how superior made from scratch tortillas taste (black death stare from the women) is priceless. So is the refreshing utter lack of importance of "news" from up north.

Watching Pilar and Dalia, taking vegetable vendors apart at the seams over price squabbles at Sunday tianguis. The two girls racing to pluck chickens - the winner wins a new pair of pants 2nd place a blouse.

Hearing the screams of an opossum who had the misfortune of sticking its nose against the electric fence guarding the henhouse.

Baking of mango pies and croissants at the crack of dawn. Torturing the pueblo with a 10 Kg charge of green Chiapas coffee beans roasting in a peanut cage inside the adobe wood fired oven. The girls, listening for the second crack of the beans. Locking the patio doors, so the beans son't grow legs and run off at night (Freshly roasted beans need to breathe for 2-days before vacuum packing).

Soaking ripe vanilla beans in pure alcohol then boiling off the alcohol.

Need limones? I reach through the kitchen window and pluck one off the tree.

Watching "Chango" climb a coconut palm barefoot. Then dealing with clusters of huge green coconuts. Jesus cuts a quarter-size hole in one with a few chops of the machete. Coconut water is the hot-setup on s summer afternoon

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

Sounds fabulous if you aren't beachies, and we don't want a gated community-we live here with everyone else.

We love SMA and would love to go back and forth from the beach, but, as you said, we aren't in that position.

The four of us will have to meet sometime in the near future and compare homes.
And thanks for your insurance help, we'll likely need more!

We´re not city folk. We like the country and our space. We only have ten neighbors on our road, very quiet, rustic and very Mexican.

Speaking of insurance, have you investigated Mexican home owner policies?

Talleyho69

Silver Strand Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I filled out a form on the Lewis and Lewis website and received no answer.....

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use AXA for home insurance. We had an incident (minor flooding) four years ago and they paid in three weeks. Very satisfied. Mexican home owner´s policies are very reasonable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Good spot to spend the winter in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS