cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What size screw?

Sunnyjim245
Explorer
Explorer
OK, got the instrument panel out but now I have a problem. The screws that hold it in were 8-32 which are too small to thread into the panel, 10-32 are too large. M4 is too small and M5x80 will only go in about a turn. What is this? Thanks!
2005 Bounder 35E Workhorse W22 towing Dodge Durango 4x4
9 REPLIES 9

Sunnyjim245
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I think the original screw was a M4.5 X ? Anyhow I am going with what the previous owner had ie. an 8-32 with a nut. Consider this thread closed. Thanks for all the replies!
2005 Bounder 35E Workhorse W22 towing Dodge Durango 4x4

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
get a couple of zIP ties leave them unattached and put them in don't let them fall through the holes and then put in your screw more or less may be used

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Use thes and the proper screw.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-45413?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-dorman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you try a 10-24?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
10-32 tap. Buy the exact drill as called out by the tap at the same time.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the holes are just wallowed out from what I'm reading. Just superglue toothpicks or matchsticks in the holes and use the 8X32. The screw will cut new threads.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
put new threads in panel to hold standard sized bolt.
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure that it is not a sheet metal screw, with wide threads, instead of a machine screw?

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's a Bounder so in my experience there's no metric in it.

But if the hole had threads and stripped out, I guess you'd need to use a self taping screw the next bigger size?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.