Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been having an usually cold and snowy winter for the 2nd year in a row when it's typically mild and rainy. So I just checked the weather forecast to see when it's going to improve and I see the big story on weather today is a weather "cyclone bomb" bearing down on the US northeast coast that will wreak havoc and bring temps colder than on Mars. That does not sound good. Don't know how cold it is on Mars, but it must be freakin' cold. Not sure how a person prepares for something like that and what to do when/if the power fails. I hope everyone does okay.

A few stories here, here and here.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how a person prepares for something like that

Make sure there's food in the house (normal amounts, not 6 loaves of bread and 8 gallons of milk), get snow removal equipment ready, hit packy for wine, and ensure chocolate supply is adequate.

what to do when/if the power fails.

Enjoy.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My gosh, it's always the "worst", "coldest", "most horrendous", "most dire", "most life threatening". It's winter, it gets cold. It does this most every year, and it's too bad the weather reporters can't get their heads around that.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, this time it's REALLY, REALLY BAD!!!! Must be, I haven't seen the weather reporters so dramatic since -- oh, I guess it was last week.

btw, 75 day, 50 night around here.

Cal

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are people gonna do when the power is out for an extended period in that kind of extreme temp? No electric heat or furnaces either but some have natural gas fireplaces. Not many with wood heaters or other non-electric sources I would guess. It sounds like there's going to be a lot of snow too.

We just had a really bad ice storm here, worst I've ever seen. Many tall and short trees flattened & destroyed. We were lucky but thousands near us were without power for up to 4 days. We've only ever been out for around 24 hours and that was in warm-ish weather. I often think of the 2012 Winter Olympics we had here where they had to truck snow in from 100 miles away it was so warm. This was a farm near us a couple of days ago.

Spring can't come soon enough...

[image]

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My gosh, it's always the "worst", "coldest", "most horrendous", "most dire", "most life threatening". It's winter, it gets cold. It does this most every year, and it's too bad the weather reporters can't get their heads around that.

Yep. it's called "winter."

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen these "weather bombs" forecasted before. I have learned that to wait and see is best. Sometimes they are severe, other times we get a sprinkle of snow or a shower of rain at most.

Prepare for the worst, but expect "the best"-depending on your perspective

Dan

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meanwhile, here on Southern Vancouver Island, we have all kinds of new growth poking out of the earth.

'IT'S' always means 'IT IS'

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least around here in Vermont, many (though certainly not all) do have some sort of non-electric heat, be it a fireplace or wood stove or kerosene heater. I have a little kerosene heater myself, which I think would be sufficient to keep the plumbing above freezing and keep the tea kettle pumping out the hot water. It would not be a comfortable time to be without power for an extended period with this sort of cold, though.

Others can hook up their furnace to a generator somehow, hopefully in a safe and legal way.

A bigger problem for me is that my well pump doesn't work without power. I can't hook up the RV generator to it as it's a 240V pump (and the generator is only 120V).

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may have been colder than Mars at that particular time, but overall I'll take our Earth temps. The average temp on Mars is -80℉!

"A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C)."

What is the Temperature of Mars?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS