Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
trb46

Central Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were without power for eight days back in January 2005 as a result of an ice storm that hit central Indiana. We did have a fireplace and FEMA provided us with a generator to keep the well pump going. I don’t want to experience that again.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My gosh, it's always the "worst", "coldest", "most horrendous", "most dire", "most life threatening". It's winter, it gets cold. It does this most every year, and it's too bad the weather reporters can't get their heads around that.

Truer words were never spoken. I live in the Canadian prairies. A few night ago the low was -34, the high -27 in the day. This is pretty well what every winter up here is like, during a few periods of our winter. I should know, I've lived here in either Manitoba or Alberta now for going on 68 winters.

I think using words like the coldest ever...etc...is all about ratings...getting people to tune in. As one famous news guy said when caught unaware about the latest 'scandal' in the news...it's a nothing burger...it's all about ratings.

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 345 gallon propane tank and it's buddy the whole house Generac are standing by. We have a lot of pines with overhead power lines. They are not friends.
We are far enough in from the coast to only get an inch or 2, hopefully the coastal families are OK.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule ever did.

DKean

Mays Landing NJ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live about 16 miles west of Atlantic City. Temperature outside is 23F. Snow is about 5 inches and it is snowing hard. 1/4 mile viability. About 7/8 years ago we had a durako come through and lost power for six days. We still had our fifth wheel with 6000 watt generator. After we sold the fifth wheel we bought a 20,000 watt whole house generator that runs on natural gas. So as long as the gas company doesn't run out of natural gas [emoticon] we are in good shape.

We traded our truck and fifth wheel for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. (8-30-13)Haven't used them in almost a year.

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Lessmore has aid its all about ratings. DW remembers huge snowfalls growing up. These were big enough snowfalls that a child could reach the telephone wires simply by standing on the snow. These days we get 10cm(4in) and just about everything shuts down from "the huge snowfall.

I used to live in NE Alberta. Temps regularly got down to the -40 range. It was only when temps got down that low that cold warnings were issued. This year, over the holidays an extreme cold warning was issued when temos were forecast for only -25C. I agree its all about who can be the most dramatic to get the most viewers/listeners.

Right now, our "huge storm" hasn't made much of an appearance. A very small flurry this morning and no wind. We'll see a little later if anything shows up.

Dan

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No electric heat or furnaces either but some have natural gas fireplaces. Not many with wood heaters or other non-electric sources I would guess.

You guessed wrong. Lot of homes have fireplaces (both wood and gas), wood, pellet or gas stoves and many now have generators. Most homes now seem to be built with an alternate heat source of one sort or another. While that helps to keep people warm it doesn't help with frozen pipe prevention.

I agree that the hype is amazing. This is a typical nor'easter that just happens to have an atypical characteristic of quickly deepening low pressure. A foot or more of snow at one time is not unusual, even in a short time frame. Temps are in the 20s, which is also normal. What's NOT normal is the length of time of the abnormally low temps-7 straight days that it never broke 20 in Boston. Heat wave in some areas, I know! It's also pretty normal for it to be bitterly cold after a storm like this but not the -10 to -20 they are predicting.

It is indeed all about ratings. One of Boston's femal news anchors quit abruptly. It came as quite a surprise as she was very well-liked. Turns out she was asked to dress "more sexy" but she refused and quit. This is apparently why we now see female newscasters now dressing like they are going out for a night on the town rather than in a business manner. It's all about how many people will watch, not about the content.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question the media distorts and over-dramatizes things for self-serving reasons. But not sure how meteorologists or gov't agencies can be said to be doing the same thing. According to NASA and NOAA as of today, an intense "bomb cyclone" is battering the U.S. East Coast.

Crowe wrote:

No electric heat or furnaces either but some have natural gas fireplaces. Not many with wood heaters or other non-electric sources I would guess.You guessed wrong. Lot of homes have fireplaces (both wood and gas), wood, pellet or gas stoves and many now have generators. Most homes now seem to be built with an alternate heat source of one sort or another.
Interesting! Around this part of BC, wood burning fireplaces and appliances have been banned in new home construction for quite a while now. Can't even use a backyard fire pit. They're now talking about anyone with a wood burning appliance having to register them and meet strict emissions standards by 2022. I grew up around burning wood in fireplaces and woodstoves and miss the smell and look of real wood fires.

Orion wrote:

Meanwhile, here on Southern Vancouver Island, we have all kinds of new growth poking out of the earth.
It sure is different over there compared to the mainland. Much drier and milder year round (well, normally). I lived there for 20 years. Had a place in the forest in rural Saanich when they had the "Blizzard of '96". That was really bad and dumped up to 4' of snow. We were trapped at the end of a dead end road, our power was out for 6 or 7 days and we almost ran out of food. They brought the military in to rescue some folks it was that bad.

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meteorologists or gov't agencies aren't that much different from the other entities, they all have to vie for the public's attention. They feel that the only way to get that attention is to convince us(the public, doncha know) that the present situation is much worse than the last life threatening situation, which was much worse than the one before that, which was much worse than the one before that, and ad infinitum.

Government agencies can be worse than the public sector when it comes to overhyping a particular situation.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was tracking a storm (Radar) this AM, Missed me by about half a state.. Saw photos o where it DID hit... All i can say is WOW (And glad it missed me).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was camping at Whiteface Mountain KOA in NY on February 18, 1979 when it was a state record low of 52 below zero just south of there in Old Forge. This so called bomb is a joke. Google "Blizzard of 1888" for a real winter storm. BTW the average temperature on Mars is 81 below zero, much colder than any spot on earth.

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS