Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also...

This storm is nothing more than an old fashion "Nor-easter"
What's with all these new names for common events.

And..
Were did this 'Super Moon' nonsense come from.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Super", "Ultra", "Mega", take your pick.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My 345 gallon propane tank and it's buddy the whole house Generac are standing by."

This, even though it's been at least 3 years since we had a "storm of the century" here in Los Anchorage.

* This post was edited 01/06/18 07:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

JaneSiver

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DKean wrote:

We live about 16 miles west of Atlantic City. Temperature outside is 23F. Snow is about 5 inches and it is snowing hard. 1/4 mile viability. About 7/8 years ago we had a durako come through and lost power for six days. We still had our fifth wheel with 6000 watt generator. After we sold the fifth wheel we bought a 20,000 watt whole house generator that runs on natural gas. So as long as the gas company doesn't run out of natural gas [emoticon] we are in good shape.

Yep,we doing same thing,just bought Generac(6244) 20k watt whole house generator.Thanks god we dont have problem with our gas company.Great solution for me.
At first I thought that I would overpay, as a result, the cost of the generator paid for itself.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/18 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I lived in Detroit.. And got this class A.. I modified the motor home (Added a heavy duty outlet or 3) and the houaew (Generator transfer panel and inlet) so that I could run vital functions (Refrigeration and Furnace, Computers SELECTED lights and such, Microwave we cooked with gas) off the RV's genertor. At least once a year we had to do that.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Manitoba. Every winter there's periods of time, during the winter, where the temps are -30 to -35. Couple years ago it hit -41. That was cold and was the temp only...no wind chill added.

I'm almost 70 and the weather has been like this..since I've been around. I also did live in another prairie province..Alberta (Edmonton)...and the weather was similar to Manitoba.

My family has been here on the Canadian prairies since 1878...farming the land. Imagine what people did back in the 1870's, 1880's...no cars, no generators, etc...but they survived. Somehow.

Most of the information nowadays about bad weather, comes from the media...or weather channels that we didn't used to have. Part of the issue in my estimation is that back in the '50's/'60's...news usually ran for half an hour, around 6 PM each evening.

They covered local, provincial/state, national and international news...also sports and weather. Thirty minutes a day seemed to cover everything and we were well informed.

My observation is that nowadays with news channels running 24 hours a day...they kind of run out of things to say..so they say it over and over again..or hype it up...after all they're all competing for the same demographics and want the best ratings. Advertisers buy adverts from whatever media reaches the biggest audience.

Fine, but what happens is that we get 'news' that has to be presented in a way that encourages us to watch/ read/listen their channel.

Well what do you think happens when 'news' becomes a product ? Products have to be sold and to be successful in the business world, you have to be an effective salesman/ saleswoman.

BTW...self disclosure... years ago I was in the media business. Also worked as a salesman.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/18 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And, in my opinion, 30 minutes a day still gives me more than enough info. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather bomb heading towards east coast - colder than Mars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS