cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sirius XM in truck - can it be extended to RV

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of buying a new truck. The new truck will have free Sirius XM for a year.

Does anyone know of a way to receive the Sirius XM in the RV without having a separate Sirius XM receiver and separate subscription?

Is there some gadget out there that can extend the sound from the truck radio to the RV? Both are Bluetooth compatible if that makes any difference.

There has to be some way of extending the radio sound to the RV.

Ideas?
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
13 REPLIES 13

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I had a RAV4 I had a XM docking receiver, with a dock for the RAV4 & one in the trailer. I moved the receiver back & forth between the two.

When I moved to a new Tacoma, the XM radio was integrated enough with the rest of the communication system that I really wanted to keep the built in system. Called XM Radio, eventually got switched to the retention people, and talked them into letting me keep both radios ( the portable & the truck) for $20.00 more per year than I was paying for the single portable. Currently paying a total of $66.72 every 6 months for the two radios.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Almost 11 years ago, I got a Sirius portable. It receives the sat signal, converts it to an FM signal, and your AM/FM radio plays the results. I've played it at a "wagon circle" of RV's in the desert, with each RV tuned to the FM frequency. Works GREAT! Not limitless, though. Range is only about 50' or so, but enough to play in the RV from the truck.

That's how we do it and have been doing it for years.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
I did, but I'm wrong...

Streaming is by Data, Vrzn in my case, not Satellite as the car/truck radio is..

I misunderstood and initially didn't see any Cell Data being used nor was it clear on the website that they actaully use your Cell data connection, so I was wrong.

It does use the Cell data, and chews it up very well mind you, sigh...

(apologies for the delay in response and correction, never got a notice. I kept thinking about and finally looked deeper into it, thus the correction.)

Hope that helps..

Posted this in the FAQ at Sirius:

Not clear. I thought the Streaming part, turns out to be cell phone, was Satellite, but it appears to be Cell data, Verizon in my case, data stream, thus using up my Monthly CELL data allocation. Would be helpful if that was stated "CLEARLY" It's NOT connected to the Satellite as the car radio subscription is.
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
Hmmm... Well, here's what I did... and it works fine...

Had/have Sirius on truk for some 2 yrs free. Then cut out, had to get the Subscription. Did the middle tiered option, then wanted to run it through the Truck Camper Radio/speakers.

For $4 more per mon, you can stream Sirius on a device, phone or table. I then have the BT option on the camper radio and I link up the two. I just plug in the charger for the Tab/phone with the Sirius app on it to keep it charged, link it up and works great.

It is still the Sat connection, just like in the truck, you don't need internet so it doesn't chew up data, so no need for internet etc. Just a clear signal and you play around with for positioning.

You can also use Pandora and others, but they do take up data so I wait till I'm Throttled, Vzn Jetpack and switch between the two as needed.

Hope that helps..

You saying that you were getting a satellite connection on your phone?

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Almost 11 years ago, I got a Sirius portable. It receives the sat signal, converts it to an FM signal, and your AM/FM radio plays the results. I've played it at a "wagon circle" of RV's in the desert, with each RV tuned to the FM frequency. Works GREAT! Not limitless, though. Range is only about 50' or so, but enough to play in the RV from the truck.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I use an aftermarket Sirius receiver. It sits in a little holder on my truck's dash and plugs into the stereo. When I'm home I remove it and put it in an other holder in my shop where it plugs into my shop stereo. If I travel much in the wife's car I stick it in there. Only one subscription required but I can take it lots of places. They even make a portable speaker/amp "boom box" that you can put the receiver in and take it to the beach or something.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
The Sirius subscription on a new vehicle is usually the top tier service, including streaming audio. You can use your phone or tablet with a blue tooth speaker.

ours wasn't and didn't include the streaming audio but that was back in 2010.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... Well, here's what I did... and it works fine...

Had/have Sirius on truk for some 2 yrs free. Then cut out, had to get the Subscription. Did the middle tiered option, then wanted to run it through the Truck Camper Radio/speakers.

For $4 more per mon, you can stream Sirius on a device, phone or table. I then have the BT option on the camper radio and I link up the two. I just plug in the charger for the Tab/phone with the Sirius app on it to keep it charged, link it up and works great.

It is still the Sat connection, just like in the truck, you don't need internet so it doesn't chew up data, so no need for internet etc. Just a clear signal and you play around with for positioning.

You can also use Pandora and others, but they do take up data so I wait till I'm Throttled, Vzn Jetpack and switch between the two as needed.

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide you actually like and want sirius, when the year is up, dump the subscription, go out and buy a portable. Then you can move it between vehicles and RV at will.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
its not a practical idea first you would be wearing down the battery in the truck when listening. the Bluetooth on vehicle radios will not transmit to a speaker they will only receive from a Bluetooth device and the range is only about 30 feet on it. you could cut into the speaker wires and install a Line Output Converter and transmitter but you do not want to leave the truck radio on and wear down the battery not a good idea. the streaming option requires internet service or a good data plan to support it.

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
The Sirius subscription on a new vehicle is usually the top tier service, including streaming audio. You can use your phone or tablet with a blue tooth speaker.
Provided you have a mobile data connection or WiFi internet access that allows streaming.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Campers wrote:
We are in the process of buying a new truck. The new truck will have free Sirius XM for a year.

Does anyone know of a way to receive the Sirius XM in the RV without having a separate Sirius XM receiver and separate subscription?

Is there some gadget out there that can extend the sound from the truck radio to the RV? Both are Bluetooth compatible if that makes any difference.

There has to be some way of extending the radio sound to the RV.

Ideas?

you should be able to add internet reception to your S/XM account for a few $ per month.

otherwise...if your truck radio is BT capable you might see if a BT enabled speaker can connect to the radio but I'm not confident. in our Jeep the BT capability on our radio allows us to connect our phones for hands free operation (phone calls, some streaming FROM the phone TO the radio, not the other way 'round.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle