Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sirius XM in truck - can it be extended to RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Sirius XM in truck - can it be extended to RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
EV2

Iowa/arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fpoole wrote:

Hmmm... Well, here's what I did... and it works fine...

Had/have Sirius on truk for some 2 yrs free. Then cut out, had to get the Subscription. Did the middle tiered option, then wanted to run it through the Truck Camper Radio/speakers.

For $4 more per mon, you can stream Sirius on a device, phone or table. I then have the BT option on the camper radio and I link up the two. I just plug in the charger for the Tab/phone with the Sirius app on it to keep it charged, link it up and works great.

It is still the Sat connection, just like in the truck, you don't need internet so it doesn't chew up data, so no need for internet etc. Just a clear signal and you play around with for positioning.

You can also use Pandora and others, but they do take up data so I wait till I'm Throttled, Vzn Jetpack and switch between the two as needed.

Hope that helps..

You saying that you were getting a satellite connection on your phone?

fpoole

PNW and Beyond

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did, but I'm wrong...

Streaming is by Data, Vrzn in my case, not Satellite as the car/truck radio is..

I misunderstood and initially didn't see any Cell Data being used nor was it clear on the website that they actaully use your Cell data connection, so I was wrong.

It does use the Cell data, and chews it up very well mind you, sigh...

(apologies for the delay in response and correction, never got a notice. I kept thinking about and finally looked deeper into it, thus the correction.)

Hope that helps..

Posted this in the FAQ at Sirius:

Not clear. I thought the Streaming part, turns out to be cell phone, was Satellite, but it appears to be Cell data, Verizon in my case, data stream, thus using up my Monthly CELL data allocation. Would be helpful if that was stated "CLEARLY" It's NOT connected to the Satellite as the car radio subscription is.

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Retired Old Geezer/Goat)
2016 5500 Tradesman, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19,5 DRW, Dual tanks, 4x4, 10ā€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 Arctic Fox 990 Camper 480w Solar 6-6v Batteries
GlowStep Stow Nā€™ Go
frank

Pooles website

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SAR Tracker wrote:

Almost 11 years ago, I got a Sirius portable. It receives the sat signal, converts it to an FM signal, and your AM/FM radio plays the results. I've played it at a "wagon circle" of RV's in the desert, with each RV tuned to the FM frequency. Works GREAT! Not limitless, though. Range is only about 50' or so, but enough to play in the RV from the truck.

That's how we do it and have been doing it for years.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/18 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when I had a RAV4 I had a XM docking receiver, with a dock for the RAV4 & one in the trailer. I moved the receiver back & forth between the two.

When I moved to a new Tacoma, the XM radio was integrated enough with the rest of the communication system that I really wanted to keep the built in system. Called XM Radio, eventually got switched to the retention people, and talked them into letting me keep both radios ( the portable & the truck) for $20.00 more per year than I was paying for the single portable. Currently paying a total of $66.72 every 6 months for the two radios.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Sirius XM in truck - can it be extended to RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS