Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Mini Split Air Conditioner / Heat pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Mini Split Air Conditioner / Heat pump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Walkdog

Longview

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anybody boondocking adopted this techno to there RV to have cold air in summer and heat in winter 24/7 while using solar?

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't tried it in an RV. I've built lots of solar systems in off grid cabins and none of them are large enough for such a thing, at least here in VA where it gets both really hot and humid in the summer and really cold in the winter.
HVAC simply uses a LOT of electricity. While a solar system can be built large enough to run one the economics of it seldom work out on a cabin or vacation home. Only the largest (most expensive) systems could make that work. In an RV, it's really not going to happen.
The nicest off grid system I put in was 5,000 watts of solar, an 8,000 watt inverter, and 27 kWh of battery storage. They don't have AC and they heat with propane.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some folks have successfully run tiny 5000 btu air conditioners from solar on RV's. But that is not much in the way of cooling.

If you have deep pockets and are willing to use a 48 volt battery bank based on LI technology, mated to 1600 to 2000 watts of panels, it may be possible to do serious cooling. But heating is in a way harder as current air based heat pumps don't work well below about 4 c (39 f)

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Walkdog

Longview

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a lot of the mini split ac/heat use around 4.5 to 15amps. SEER rating around 20-30, soft start ups. Isnt that good for a solar ac setup?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuctlessAire-Energy-Star-12-000-BTU-1-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-Variable-Speed-Inverter-220V-60Hz-DA1221-H2/300696598

Don't know if links like this are allowable, I guess i'll find out soon

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Walkdog,

I think you are doing the original "star trek". I.E. going where no man has gone before. I wish you every success. If it works out please please please share the results.

Residential mini-splits are often 240 volt based?

Walkdog wrote:

a lot of the mini split ac/heat use around 4.5 to 15amps. SEER rating around 20-30, soft start ups. Isnt that good for a solar ac setup?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuctlessAire-Energy-Star-12-000-BTU-1-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-Variable-Speed-Inverter-220V-60Hz-DA1221-H2/300696598

Don't know if links like this are allowable, I guess i'll find out soon

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into an AC unit for a boat... Built with a Danfoss style compressor. Similar to the mini split but optimized to save power.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Walkdog

Longview

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking into the future with a 800 amh lithium battery bank, 600 amh if I can get away with it and hoping to run air all night long while in Texas. I'm thinking this mini split is the way to go. Maybe, I don't know enough about all this just look at what the amps stuff draws and try to go from there

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For starters, they are extremely efficient so no one can fault them that way. Typically, the avg unit runs on 220VAC and requires a 15 amp breaker. Decent brands are amazingly quiet compared to our roof air units.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Walkdog

Longview

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not for sure the one I posted does it, but there are some that use 12v for startup or something to the effect. Most AC units take most of your power by just starting up and this one i'm thinking about actually hooks into 12v as well and uses a soft startup.

Walkdog

Longview

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a ****** when it comes to this stuff is reason i'm posting asking. To me everything I've read it seems mini splits are more efficient than the currently used top AC's for RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Mini Split Air Conditioner / Heat pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS