Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Order of purchases?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Order of purchases?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As my first post says my wife and I are considering full timing. We are looking at Keystone Montana 5ers and F350's. We will also need a full time spot with full hook ups. One consideration is what is the order of purchase? I have very good credit and great car credit and a above average income and a few bucks in the bank. However, I will have to take a loan for the rv and for the truck. And then I will need to get a spot. If this is going to happen I am trying to put it together in about a month or two at the most. Where do I start???

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been full timing for 12 years. Call me and we can discuss in detail.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course!!! I forgot. I will...

* This post was edited 01/03/18 10:11pm by JandVcruise2018 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't pull a trailer without a truck....

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit Dog has a point, but the size of the truck determines the largest trailer it can safely pull.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A full time spot? Do you plan zero travel? If so, an apartment most probably may be less expensive.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 02:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really critical if the truck or trailer comes first but make sure you have an idea of what the other will be before buying the first (ie: if you buy a truck that can handle a 15k trailer, make sure you like the offerings under 15k before hand.)

As far as a full time site, are you talking at a commercial campground or on private land?
- Commercial campground: No big deal. Try one for a month and if you don't like it, hook up and find another.
- Private land: Check out the zoning laws first. Particularly in built up areas, many prohibit living in an RV. If you find land that allows it, go price up adding a driveway, sewer, water and electricity. It can get very expensive very quickly.

As you don't seem too experienced, I would suggest getting a less expensive used rig to try it out first without loans. New rigs take a big depreciation hit the minute you drive them off the lot. This gives you a chance to learn what you like or don't like with a much lower risk. Then in a year or two (or possibly never), you go buy a new rig knowing what you like or don't like.

If you aren't moving, Pianotuna has the right answer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought the TT first, so we would know how much truck to get. We could have bought the truck first and looked at TT's later knowing that we had an upper weight limit.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

A full time spot? Do you plan zero travel?....

X2
If you are going to park it permanently why on earth do you need to buy a new truck and with a loan? If you are not traveling with the RV?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JandVcruise2018 wrote:

As my first post says my wife and I are considering full timing. We are looking at Keystone Montana 5ers and F350's. We will also need a full time spot with full hook ups. One consideration is what is the order of purchase? I have very good credit and great car credit and a above average income and a few bucks in the bank. However, I will have to take a loan for the rv and for the truck. And then I will need to get a spot. If this is going to happen I am trying to put it together in about a month or two at the most. Where do I start???
Start by getting past the consideration, and making a concrete decision. Sounds like your under some pressure to make this decision, which is not good. And yes - the question about why you need a "full time spot" needs an answer.

Sounds like you just need an alternate place to live and somehow think living in an RV will be romantic/less expensive.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Order of purchases?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS