Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Order of purchases?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Order of purchases?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, RV ownership is not a "cheap" way to live and an expensive hobby if you are not a full timer.

Your RV expenses for the RV will be:

Your RV loan
Your RV (specific RV) insurance
Your RV License Plates / Title / DMV registration to legally use it on the road
Fuel for traveling
Campsite costs
Insurance to maintain on your tow vehicle (with a rider for your trailer)
License Plates / title / registration for your tow vehicle
Loan on your tow vehicle
Propane fill-ups for the RV
Maintenance and repair costs for the RV (and you will have them)

If you are looking for a "cheaper" way to live, an RV is NOT the way. It is as expensive (or more) than renting or purchasing an apartment (or in some cases, buying a house).

There are no tax write-off's for an RV, (none I've ever been able to find, although some say an RV can be treated like a second home ... it's never worked out that way for me ... per H&R Block ... and they are the experts).

Then if traveling on the road, you always have the risk of mechanical failure, breakdowns, collisions, and of course ... traffic fines if you speed or disobey the laws on the road.

Don't get me wrong though. If it were financially impossible to do all this, none of us would own an RV. All I'm saying is ... it's not a "cheap alternative" to a sick-and-brick house. It will cost as much (or maybe even more), depending on your specific lifestyle.

But to get back to your original question. If you are parking the trailer full time, you would be much better to get a Park Model and park it in a conventional Mobile Home park. In the long run, it will be cheaper than maintaining an RV and you'll have the full hook-ups. And you can winterize the unit based on the location you settle on, and it will fit the Mobile Home park style. Whereas, skirting a travel trailer in a more conventional campground may not be acceptable.

If parked full time in one location, you'll need better water hook-ups than simple garden hoses running from a spigot and your sewer connections will need to be more permanent also. Flexible vinyl sewer hoses won't hold up the duration of time. You'll need to attach PVC piping or something more permanent from your tanks to the park supplied sewer system.

If you are parking the camper permanent in one spot, there is no need for a large tow vehicle. Work out a deal with the dealership to have the trailer delivered to your permanent spot and you won't need a truck at all.

However, if you do plan on traveling from location to location and need the tow vehicle, I suggest getting the truck first so when you buy the trailer, you've got something to tow it from the very beginning, and can also get the proper hitch work done immediately.

By the way, if you get an F350, or 3500 (GM or Dodge), you'll have plenty of truck to tow pretty much anything in the range you are considering. If you REALLY want stable towing, consider a dually, and if really want "power" make it a diesel. If you are towing a lot ... your choice for an F350 / 3500 dually diesel will never be a regret.

Here again, if really parking permanent ... trailer first, no need for a truck.
If towing and moving ... truck first, then trailer.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can have to much trailer but you can not have to much truck.

Buy the trailer first. It will determine your truck requirements and your camping spot requirements.

Start with a used unit for both trailer and truck. You can often find a truck/trailer combo for sale together. Pay cash, owing money on something you decide you do not like after 6 months is a constant irritation. You can sell a used unit for close to what you paid for it, maybe for more if you made improvements.

For $3500 you can have my 5er [emoticon], but I not the truck, and I will deliver for 1/2 cost of fuel.

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NMDriver wrote:

Sure you can have too much truck.

We know people who full time in 20' travel trailers.

It would be silly and a waste of money to buy a new 1 ton diesel dually to pull a little 20' travel trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

There are no tax write-off's for an RV, (none I've ever been able to find, although some say an RV can be treated like a second home ... it's never worked out that way for me ... per H&R Block ... and they are the experts).

If you believe any of this statement, you are sorely mistaken, especially the last phrase.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

accsys wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

If you believe any of this statement, you are sorely mistaken, especially the last phrase.

Up until the new tax laws, we've been able to report the interest on our RV loan since it's considered a vacation home (has to be fully self contained).

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

ricks99

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

accsys wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

Up until the new tax laws, we've been able to report the interest on our RV loan since it's considered a vacation home (has to be fully self contained).

And don't forget the sales tax and property tax write-offs, too!

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the F-350 (Big honking pickup) comment. Thugh I'm not an "F" fan (Ok Chevy 30 or Dodge Ram 3500, all the same class). I will admit Ford does make decent trucks though (my complaints have more to do with cars).

I'm not sure the order makes much difference. But I will make one suggestion.

IF you plan to move from time to time. Consider a class A with a smaller car in tow.. REASONS:
1: MPG.. That F-350 towing say 30-40 feet of 5er will get likely about 8 MPG
My 38' A towing 4,000 pounds of Chevy Lumina APV.. Same

The F-350 "Bobtail" (Without trailer) will likely MPG in the TEENS
That 1992 Lumina in the 20's and a modern equal vehicle 30-s or more.

2: RAIN.. When I'm driving in a pouring rain and feel the need for a Rest Stop...

I DO NOT GET WET

There are additional reasons as well

When my Lumina died.. Well I still had the Motor home to drive
When the motor home died The Neon which replaced the Lumina was still operational. (the motor home suffered a "road kill" of the engine. Freak incident involving a pot hole and the oil cooler. So insurance (nationwide) paid over 7 Grand for the replacement (used) engine)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ricks99 wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

accsys wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

And don't forget the sales tax and property tax write-offs, too!

And the solar tax credits for the panels on the roof.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

hussbuss

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the new tax laws, Interest on your RV will still be deductible if it is on a personal loan and is fully self contained and used at least 14 nights per year. I would start saving campsite invoices as proof. Now if your RV is on a Home Equity Loan, it will not be deductible. Easy fix, change it to a personal loan. Just my observations, but I have read up on the new rules a bit.

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

NMDriver wrote:

Sure you can have too much truck.

We know people who full time in 20' travel trailers.

It would be silly and a waste of money to buy a new 1 ton diesel dually to pull a little 20' travel trailer.

Everyone gets to have an opinion.

Yes and I know people who start out with a 40ft 5er. Your point being that having more truck than absolutely necessary is silly. Well that is just a silly thing to say. BTW you do not even need a truck to pull a 20ft trailer I did it with an Astro Van.

Most of those people you are calling silly start small and recognize they will want to upgrade to a bigger trailer after a few years. It is called getting a feel for what you like. Not such a silly way to operate.

I will agree that buy anything vehicle new is a waste of money, but I never said the OP should buy a NEW truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Order of purchases?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS