cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First RV trip to Sierras

Mattysv
Explorer
Explorer
looking to make my first trip to the sierras(in a RV that is) this may. Any suggestions? I read that I maybe be some what limited due to the 27ft TT I have. Looking for somewhere quite to take my wife and daughter for a week, typical activities like hiking, fishing etc. Any input or reccomendatio would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt
13 REPLIES 13

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Late April - early May you might find campgrounds still closed for the season depending on how weather goes in the next few months. The higher up, the more likely for closure until June/July. In the northern sierras, the past few years have seen openings delayed until July due to snow still on the ground or fire damage from the prior season.

Forest service campgrounds won't have hookups, but are great about dogs (dogs can go on trails and beaches unless specifically prohibited).

On the eastern side, you'll have more boondocking opportunities with the BLM lands, if you want to try for a couple nights.

With the kids that young, you don't have to worry about them getting bored - they'll be excited about most everything. ๐Ÿ™‚

One trick I've learned is to choose a campground without a boat launch. You end up with fewer large groups of partyers and a quieter campground - even if the lake has lots of boats.

I don't go that far south usually, so most of my recommendations would be in ElDorado, Plumas, and Tahoe forests.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Mattysv wrote:
looking to make my first trip to the sierras(in a RV that is) this may. Any suggestions? I read that I maybe be some what limited due to the 27ft TT I have. Looking for somewhere quite to take my wife and daughter for a week, typical activities like hiking, fishing etc. Any input or reccomendatio would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

On the internet use the app "Good Sam RV Parks". Just type in the city/town in all the areas you might be interested in RVing in. The app will locate all the RV parks in the area. Then start selecting the RV parks and you will get a complete description of each park and what services, site lengths, water, dump, electricity, costs per night etc etc etc. Or you can just buy the Good Sam RV book for under $10. Camping world or Wall Mart or any good book store has them.

Mattysv
Explorer
Explorer
so many choices it's hard to even start

Mattysv
Explorer
Explorer
Possible that a german shepard maybe making the trip with us.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have two favorites in the western Sierras. Both are great and it would be hard for me to choose one over the other.

On Shaver Lake is Camp Edison. Sites are great with full hookups. The lake offers water adventures and there is plenty of hiking opportunities. May will be cold and there may be snow on the ground or a possible snow storm so watch the weather.

The other is Sequoia RV Ranch in Kaweah near Three Rivers Ca. It is just outside of Sequoia Nat'l Park and can be used as a base camp to visit the park. There is a river flowing through the property with great trout fishing. It is at a lower elevation than Shaver Lake.

Mattysv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in long beach so I can hit either side of the Sierras. Shaver has been on the radar but I also spent quite a bit of time when I was younger around June and Crowley. I would like something a little bit on the quieter side for a change. Hooks ups would be nice but sent a must(don't tell my wife I said that). I'm not sure if may ofthe areas may still be closed but I was hoping to go end of April or early to mid May. There will be two family's going both families with our own trailer and each with a 2.5 year old daughter. Thanks for all of the input!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of campgrounds on the East side of the SIERRA. How quiet do you want?

Mammoth Lakes RV in town of Mammoth Lakes is central to the Southern part. From Lone Pine up to Bridgeport there are literally hundreds when you consider FS, BLM, parks, resorts and campgrounds. Like it is down here in So. Cal., reservations are required anywhere with hook ups and near fishing and camp supplies. Tom's Place, Crowley, Twin Lakes, Walker Gorge/Walker area, Bridgeport all have either FS or Private parks. We always like Chris Flats in Walker Gorge but we haven't camped there since we bought a home in Mammoth Lakes in 1983.

We have never camped on the West side but friends go to Bass Lake North of Fresno every year. There are a lot of reservoirs and lakes East and North of Fresno.

Pick an area and then Google RV campgrounds in that area. Try the FS listings, BLM in Bishop has a map of areas open to boone docking or on line.

Where are you in So. Cal. area?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A simple answer is go north and boondock camp in a National Forest.
Before school is out, Sequoia NP and especially the NF around it is a great place to go.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
What time of year?

Will you have pets along?

With both of those unknown, my recommendation is Mammoth. Zillions of hikes and places to camp, close to town for supplies and city entertainment if you want it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
On the east side, French Camp USFS north of Bishop and Tuttle Creek BLM near Lone Pine both have dumps, water and fishing. Glass Creek and Lower Deadman USFS north of Mammoth have fishing. These are my favorites.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How far north do you want to go?

Do you want hookups? Or do you want to dry camp?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
On the east Iโ€™d recommend Silver Lake RV park at June Lake. For the West, Camp Edison at Shaver Lake hands down! Better reserve early but worth it.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
Give us some idea of where in the Sierras you want to go. It is a long range and has two sides. The major road on the west side is Highway 99 while the east side is reached by Highway 395.

There are many great places to camp, depending on the time of year you vist.

More info = better answer.