cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much below MSRP should we be paying for a new TT?

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my wife and I are in the market for a new TT. We have had both a folding trailer and currently a hybrid so we are not new to RVing. Recently, we discovered Outdoors RV and really like them.

Since there is only one dealer in AZ, we donโ€™t have a comparison for pricing and what a reasonable price would be to pay. We have not purchased a new trailer before but I would imagine is pretty much the same as buying a car.

MSRP for the unit we are looking at (โ€˜18 Timber Ridge 27BHS) including some additional options is $45,669.

So, what have you paid for your trailer? How was your negotiatiating experience and please share any tips or advice you have. (Not specifically with Outdoors)

Thanks in advance.
50 REPLIES 50

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Mike is pretty much on. Again, I don't even allow anyone to add on anything. I ask for the price they want, check in hand, leaving the lot. They quote a price, and we can go from there. They try to add anything after we negotiate selling price, the deal is over. The only thing that is allowed to be added to the negotiated price is sales tax.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RTHARIO wrote:

Thank you for the info. We ended up making a deal with a dealer in California. They have the trailer with the interior color we want coming plus all of the options originally included with the unit here in Phoenix, plus theirs has the heavy duty bumper with receiver hitch and a toy lock plus a 160 watt solar panel installed by the mfg. We ended up with 23% off MSRP and we are happy with that.

We know we donโ€™t have a lot of leverage since nobody has the floor plan we want in stock but they didnโ€™t screw around and gave us a fair price first time around. From what we have seen thatโ€™s a reasonable figure for these units.

I am fairly certain this one has pre wiring for the 2nd AC. Thanks again for all the help.

Glad to see you got a decent deal. Congratulations. Never heard or seen an Outdoors RV unit but since they're on the other side of the country and don't have dealers on this side, makes sense. Enjoy.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RTHARIO wrote:
Hello all, my wife and I are in the market for a new TT. We have had both a folding trailer and currently a hybrid so we are not new to RVing. Recently, we discovered Outdoors RV and really like them.

Since there is only one dealer in AZ, we donโ€™t have a comparison for pricing and what a reasonable price would be to pay. We have not purchased a new trailer before but I would imagine is pretty much the same as buying a car.

MSRP for the unit we are looking at (โ€˜18 Timber Ridge 27BHS) including some additional options is $45,669.

So, what have you paid for your trailer? How was your negotiatiating experience and please share any tips or advice you have. (Not specifically with Outdoors)

Thanks in advance.

You should be paying around 67% - 73% of "REAL" MSRP, no PDI or delivery fees included into this MSRP (that's just a scam some dealers have). If you order or buy previous year models, closer to the 67%, high demand/ON THE LOT models will be closer to 73%. Dealers won't let models on the lot go cheaper because no one wants to wait for an order when camping season is here.

My previous Jay Flight camper was 70% of MSRP, and my current was 72% of MSRP. Both were High Demand models and were on the lot. The previous model was a year end model.

Other low demand models could had been much less, with some as low as 65% for low on demand, year end models. Unfortunately my models were not as cheap as those.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Rather_B_Fishin
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! I think you did pretty good for an ORV. We looked at them and they were at the top of our list by a long ways. The floor plan we wanted however is new and there were not many around and the ones that were on the lots we going for a premium. We talked to a couple of dealers and one was 10% off MSRP and that was it. They were close to the factory so no shipping costs and they couldn't keep the trailers on the lot. ORV's are top of the line and fairly limited in supply so they will cost more. They are worth it in my book but ended up doing something different at 1/2 the cost. Hoping maybe we can upgrade in 5 years or so and find a lightly used one if we stick with the trailer.
2017 F350, CCLB, XLT, 6.2L, 4.30's
2005 Four Wheel Camper - Grandby
2020 GD Reflection 337RLS 5'er (for sale)
Going back to a truck camper...

Grapehound
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with posts. We do it a bit differently as we do online searches for prices at dealers across the country. That gives us a good baseline on retail prices. PLACE: Then we focus on cold weather dealers in states ike Iowa or Michigan when it's time to buy. TIME OF YEAR: We try to buy in December, as no one is buying RV's in Michigan at Christmas time. DEALER: We also go to larger dealers where one unit won't make or break their year. LEFT-OVER:
Another tip is to look for your favorite model as a "left-over" model from a previous year. That way you get the full warranty but a big discount. CASH: we make things easy for the dealer and bring the cash with us so there's no financing hassles or delay, even if you have to fiance elsewhere.

We bought a 2014 Rockwood Fifth Wheel listed at $46,000 in December 2015 for a cash price of $28,700. This works out to about a 40.3% discount. Brand new, full warranty. Can't do too much better than that.
Larry B.

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for the info. Yes we did but from DDRV. The one we are purchasing does have the X4 package and the 235/80R16 tires so I will take some measurements.

My TV is a 2015 Ram 3500 and is on 35โ€ tires so hopefully that will sit high enough.

We are really excited about the trailer. Like you guys said, it seems to be very well thought out and built without corners cut.

Now is the waiting game since the TT wonโ€™t be here until the end of February.

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your purchase. Sound like a fair deal to me. Very tough to get 30% off when supply is limited. Several dealers we had talked to said they would sell more but can't get them. The hitch height is high but the off road option only adds 1 inch. Mine is around 30 inches to bottom of hitch. Ram 4x4's sit high and I had to turn the shank upwards to make it work. The tailgate will hit it so have to be careful.
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
RTHARIO wrote:
Thank you for the info. We ended up making a deal with a dealer in California. They have the trailer with the interior color we want coming plus all of the options originally included with the unit here in Phoenix, plus theirs has the heavy duty bumper with receiver hitch and a toy lock plus a 160 watt solar panel installed by the mfg. We ended up with 23% off MSRP and we are happy with that.

We know we donโ€™t have a lot of leverage since nobody has the floor plan we want in stock but they didnโ€™t screw around and gave us a fair price first time around. From what we have seen thatโ€™s a reasonable figure for these units.

I am fairly certain this one has pre wiring for the 2nd AC. Thanks again for all the help.
Congrats on the CA ORV purchase, RTHARIO! I'm assuming you purchased from DDRV?

Another FYI I forgot to mention: Most of the ORV's have the off-road suspension package. Hitch height on these units are extremely high at 30-32 in. On some trucks you may need a ball mount with a 8-10 in. rise to ride level.

Enjoy your new ORV! Good choice. They're a solid, well-built unit.

RTHARIO
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
RTHARIO wrote:
Update:

Iโ€™m haggling with the dealer. The MSRP for the unit is $47,683 including freight and options.

The haggling so far has been
Me: $31,000 plus fees
Dealer: $36,685 plus fees
Me: $35,500 plus fees and they install a slide topper
Dealer: $36,185 plus fees and they give me a discount on said slide topper

What do you guys think ? Any ideas ?
You came up $4500 pretty quick to $35,500 plus topper. At this point I would hold your ground and tell this dealer you are going to shop around.. Give it a few days! Keep the sales tax and doc fee out of it since these are locked in. Negotiate on just the price not including these standard taxes/fees. You are in the driver's seat in early Jan since he wants this TT off his floor plan at a quiet time of year.
play it cool.. My guess is after 48 hours he will meet your latest offer.. You are very close. Let him bridge the rest of the gap! Good luck!
Winter is high season for RV sales in AZ, where the OP is trying to work his deal. Plenty of sunshine with temps in the 70's. Think snowbirds. They're flying off the lots.

If you want to work the best deal on an ORV right now, gotta think Oregon or Washington. Cold, snow, and ice.

We were seriously looking at several models of ORV's last month. Trying to work deals in CA, OR, WA, ID, and MT. Discovered that 25 percent off MSRP is pretty much the going rate for ORV's. Did find one dealer in MT discounting 28 percent trying to move excess ORV inventory before winter hit. We made several cash offers at 30 percent. No takers.

FYI for the OP. The 2x model ORV's are typically equipped with 30 amp service and no 2nd a/c prewire. Some of these models are almost 30 ft long. Yes, they're well insulated with double-paned windows, but that may not be enough in AZ. The 2xx model ORV's can be optioned with 50 amp service and a 2nd a/c prewire. Something to think about when summer rolls around in AZ and temps hit 110-115 degrees.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
RTHARIO wrote:
Update:

Iโ€™m haggling with the dealer. The MSRP for the unit is $47,683 including freight and options.

You came up $4500 pretty quick to $35,500 plus topper. At this point I would hold your ground and tell this dealer you are going to shop around.. Give it a few days! Keep the sales tax and doc fee out of it since these are locked in. Negotiate on just the price not including these standard taxes/fees. You are in the driver's seat in early Jan since he wants this TT off his floor plan at a quiet time of year.
play it cool.. My guess is after 48 hours he will meet your latest offer.. You are very close. Let him bridge the rest of the gap! Good luck!
Winter is high season for RV sales in AZ, where the OP is trying to work his deal. Plenty of sunshine with temps in the 70's. Think snowbirds. They're flying off the lots.

If you want to work the best deal on an ORV right now, gotta think Oregon or Washington. Cold, snow, and ice.

We were seriously looking at several models of ORV's last month. Trying to work deals in CA, OR, WA, ID, and MT. Discovered that 25 percent off MSRP is pretty much the going rate for ORV's. Did find one dealer in MT discounting 28 percent trying to move excess ORV inventory before winter hit. We made several cash offers at 30 percent. No takers.

FYI for the OP. The 2x model ORV's are typically equipped with 30 amp service and no 2nd a/c prewire. Some of these models are almost 30 ft long. Yes, they're well insulated with double-paned windows, but that may not be enough in AZ. The 2xx model ORV's can be optioned with 50 amp service and a 2nd a/c prewire. Something to think about when summer rolls around in AZ and temps hit 110-115 degrees.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
I don't even discuss fees and other dealer add ons. I just cut to the chase.... what is it going to take for me to take the RV off the lot. Just one number. Not playing around with a stack of different numbers and playing head games. There are many good dealers that will quote a total for a trailer or RV, one complete number to take the trailer or RV off the lot. All this tacking on fees and other nonsense is just that.... nonsense. it is playing Three Card Monty by unscrupulous salesmen and getting the customer all bound and confused on details as to throw them off balance and fall for a poor deal. Dealers that want to play like that, I walk away and go elsewhere. I do the same thing with my other major purchases. We may negotiate the number, but it is one number, not a stack of numbers like fees and other garbage. I have walked away from dealers before and I have no problem walking away from shoddy dealers again.

And financing is never part of the price off the lot negotiation for the new RV or trailer. That will come later if needed. Same thing for a trade in. Trade in negotiation should be kept separate from negotiation on price of the new trailer. Never combine the two or you will likely get shorted. I always start negotiations for anything from the standpoint of out right buy, no trade in. Once we get that price locked down, then I may bring up using a trade in. And we can haggle over that as a separate deal. And regardless of how that negotiation goes, the original trailer deal is still settled already, so no monkey business and such can be played at that point by the dealer. No pressure on my part. I can walk away at any time and will be out nothing. Then another dealer will get the shot to earn my business.

I have no problem with a dealership earning a fair markup. They have bills to pay and families to feed. But they don't get to throw different things into the mix to mess things up to their advantage. Negotiation is an equal thing. We settle on a final price and that is that.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
RTHARIO wrote:
Update:

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are making mistake at only looking at a single manufacturer/model. Once you have to have a specific model, the dealer has you.
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Someone commented about different MSRP at different dealers on the same unit. I think I've seen that happen on RV Trader. It may be that some units have more options installed so that would raise the MSRP. I also say 25 to 30 percent discount seems to be the norm, but in the end you need to shop around and compare and see what is the best price you can find on the rig that you want. I might pay a little more if it is closer to where I am or where I want to be (geographically).
That was me - and yes I checked. All optioned the same, but all over the board in terms of price. Agree on paying slightly more for the closest dealer.

There are a few brands out there that actually ship with a retail pricing document, Rockwood / Flagstaff is one. It shows the itemized shipping cost also. Its helpful for comparison when shopping and you have to go in to it with a grain of salt because you never have to pay anywhere close to it. Some dealers will leave them in the unit and some remove them, and I am sure some remove them then print out their own LOL. From what I have found though the numbers are consistent from one dealer to the next if not altered. I actually had one that had the dealers cost listed in another column that I was able to lay my hands on at one time.

Looks like this. I did not buy the trailer this came from but could of drove it off the lot all in for $19,500. I actually know the lady who bought the exact trailer on this invoice from another forum, she paid over $24,000.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?