Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Just curious - why Lithiums are so heavy?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Just curious - why Lithiums are so heavy?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AGM and Lithium batteries are heavier due to there is NO space between the plates for the electrolyte. So, the battery case is completely full of the lead type plates. Go to a battery store and pick up a 24 series lead acid deep cycle battery and then pick up the same 24 series AGM. You will be surprised at how much heavier the AGM is. Doug

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

100 AH, flooded, 66-69 lbs.
100 AH, Li, 29-31 lbs.

Brain-dead sellers jumping on a new bandwagon, "One-fifth the weight of a traditional battery", yahooo....

More usable capacity, yes, but not 2 or 3 times more. 70-75% of Li vs 50% of flooded, this is 1.4-1.5 times more capacity.

I'm curious, is there any drop-in Gr31 Lithium, 12V, with BMS, that weighs less than 25 lbs?

When they talk about 2-3 times more are they talking about per pound of battery as opposed to the rated amp-hrs.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

Electric car battery works in different conditions, it has (I think) liquid cooling system that drop-in batts don't.

Some do. Most do NOT.

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I don’t know if I would do it all the time but we run our cars down to 5 to 10 percent once in awhile when we make a certain trip

Is this not what you are ALLOWED to take from the battery and not the same thing as ADVERTISED ampere hours on individual Li-ion batteries?

Is there not a chart that explains depth of discharge of a Li-Ion battery versus expected cycle life? I seem to be having trouble finding one...

Yah. Think you are right. Dead is not dead. Just a limit set by the car company. I don't know what percentage that is though. I think the car starts to limit as well at the end, or at least the one does. Kind of a last ditch effort to save power. It allows one restart after it turtles so you can move to the edge of the road. Maybe a kilometer. Like I say. Hasn't happened to us yet but I have read stories on the other forum.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

AGM and Lithium batteries are heavier due to there is NO space between the plates for the electrolyte. So, the battery case is completely full of the lead type plates. Go to a battery store and pick up a 24 series lead acid deep cycle battery and then pick up the same 24 series AGM. You will be surprised at how much heavier the AGM is. Doug

Although it is difficult to find, deep cycle batteries of the same size as a regular flooded battery also weigh more.

Quick rule of thumb for the same sized batteries. More lead = more weight = more GOOD !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Charger voltage depends on the number of series cells and the cell chemistry
The avg new 14+v converter is to high for a 3* 3.7v setup
The liFePos are 3.2v per cell and use four cells in series
4*3.2v

I would add, I would not consider anything else but a LiFePO lithium battery.

2oldman

Pahrump

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

AGM and Lithium batteries are heavier due to there is NO space between the plates for the electrolyte.
Huh?

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy volt cells are liquid cooled
Tesla's Model S, also liquid cooled

Watched videos on taking them apart

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another "problem" with Li batteries that lead acid or classic dry cell batteries don't have is: Li batteries don't smoothly taper off voltage as they begin to need recharging - they just kindof are full voltage all the time or suddenly put out inadequate voltage right when they die.

I see this all the time with the Li batteries in my flashlights. The flashlights are either nice and bright or suddenly too dim. I prefer batteries that provide slower declining voltage values as they die.

This characteristic of Li batteries could leave some RV users suddenly power starved if their Li battery systems don't include easily accessible and understandable meters indicating how many amp hours are left in the battery bank.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Another "problem" with Li batteries that lead acid or classic dry cell batteries don't have is: Li batteries don't smoothly taper off voltage as they begin to need recharging - they just kindof are full voltage all the time or suddenly put out inadequate voltage right when they die.

I see this all the time with the Li batteries in my flashlights. The flashlights are either nice and bright or suddenly too dim. I prefer batteries that provide slower declining voltage values as they die.

This characteristic of Li batteries could leave some RV users suddenly power starved if their Li battery systems don't include easily accessible and understandable meters indicating how many amp hours are left in the battery bank.

Very good point. Simply relying on voltage is not effective to determine state of charge for a lithium ion of any technology, including this forum's favorite the LiFePo4

Without coloumb counting, your bank could die (or rather be shut off) by the BMS at an inopportune time.

When buying a LiFePo4 pack, make sure the BMS includes an easy to use "fuel gauge", and check it frequently.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Just curious - why Lithiums are so heavy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS