Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Who Patented Gas Absorbsion Refigeration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Who Patented Gas Absorbsion Refigeration?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

You talk about the Sercvel being superiour due to greater weight. Weight (When it comes to stuff in an RV) is something to be reduced. That may be the reason, Dometic and NOrcold (et-al) may have traded some of the reliability to reduce weight.. NOTE: This is only a guess. nothing more. but .. AN educated guess.

You beat me to it. A fridge that weighs half a ton is in no way superior for an RV application.

Admittedly some of the newer electronically controlled ones have some issues but I'm aware of several RV fridges that have been trouble free for 20-30yrs...which exceeds the typical life cycle of an RV. Once it lasts the life of the RV, additional lifespan really doesn't provide any benefit.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a gas absorption refrigerator fan for RV use. They're the ultimate solution to RV refrigerated food storage, IF:

1. They're built well and with safety features - but still light in weight. (These characteristics don't always have to be mutually exclusive.)

2. They're installed properly. (This is sometimes a problem for the RV manufacturers.)

3. They don't need to be level. (Design their internals that are level-sensitive so that they're supported by a gimbal mechanism OR mount the entire refrigerator within a gimbal frame.)

You see numbers 1. and 2. not being complied with all the time. Number 3. is still waiting to happen.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original question was absorption refrigerator not RV refrigerator. The Crosley Icy Ball was I'm pretty sure not the first, but it was pretty unique and the patent was issued in 1929. Here is a link to more than you ever wanted to know about them. http://crosleyautoclub.com/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html I have one and it still works. My guess from the style and serial number on mine that it was made around 1928. I know of a couple of modern version if the Icy Ball that was made to take camping for cooling.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"3. They don't need to be level. (Design their internals that are level-sensitive so that they're supported by a gimbal mechanism OR mount the entire refrigerator within a gimbal frame.)"

This is exactly right. It seems like a no brainer. Perhaps the fridge would have to be smaller in the frame to self level, or the fridge body need to be bigger to accomodate the gimbal. But it would also need to be locked for transport. Going down the road it would swing about. I just wish they would do it.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the story of the invention of refrigeration interests you, you might enjoy reading the book White Banners by Lloyd Douglas. It's a fictional account, but it is a gripping tale.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2013 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 5.0L V8
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
Equalizer 800-8000 Weight Distributing Hitch

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder why they don't have a simple thermostat to shut off the flame when the system overheats.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

over heart When ?

off level the temp is right , but fluid is not returning to correct point in the system

over heat during a malfunction ? I think that would require some kind of internal pressure switch, burner seldom fail my getting to big a flame and too much heat

a leak in the system creates a loss that raises pressure, the fire happens when the hydrogen gas leaks/erupts from the bursting pipes

i think that infamous recall fix from a few years ago
involves a heat sensor
and the electronics can only be reset a limited number of times
then the whole thing has to be yanked and replaced !

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Who Patented Gas Absorbsion Refigeration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS