Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Fulltime traveling with 5er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Fulltime traveling with 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned a bit of overkill on the truck but better too much than too little.

We have done similar (see signature).

If you are good on a 30' boat, a 30' 5th wheel will seem downright spacious...especially since there is no need to launch the dingy just to take a walk.

Your budget will get you a nice setup though a 2015 truck will eat up the bulk of it. We just picked up a 2009 34' 5th wheel last year in very nice condition. The prior 28' unit was only $4500 and was pretty much trouble free for a decade of use.

Big thing to make sure of is no water damage. Everything else is pretty reliable and/or easy to fix.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@theoldwizard1 : Exactly, hence the decision to go for 3500HD. thanks for all the tips. For the camping we are looking to boondock 50/50 campsites, like when we are on boat sometimes on anchor somewhere secluded sometimes in marinas :-), and i have my eye on external dual-fuel generator only thing i am still undecided if i want one built in or external, actually comments on this would be really welcome.

As for build, is the build quality really an issue ? eg. gelcoat, frame, furniture etc. ? just asking because price for new trailer is almost the same as boat so one would expect same quality.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

I personally suggest looking for a truck that has all 3 of these features already installed: Integrated Brake Controller, Exhaust Brake, and Cruise Control. (Turn on all 3 and you almost never have to touch the brake or accelerator peddles unless traffic forces you to slow down).

Exhaust Brake is only required on a diesel engine.

(exactly ... "hint, hint!)

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@valhalla360: thanks :-) well our fav. boat is Oceanis 38 so little bigger, but it also have 3 cabins and engine all that eats loads of internal space.

Any suggestions what to look for when we short list couple of trailers and start checking them ?

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yeah i would prefer Diesel ;-) but looking at both engines.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacil wrote:

...generator ... if i want one built in or external ...

No debate here. Get one built in. It's much less complicated, not subject to theft, and has a permanent place to transport it.

Only draw back, if you need the generator (say for your house if you have a power outage at home), you may need to run long extension cords. Otherwise, I strongly advise one built in, not stand alone.

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@DutchmenSport : Point taken, and still dual or just propane one ? In the case of built in i would probably prefer propane only as i dont want to have to build another separated tank for the gas ?

Anyone has experience with aftermarket installation of the generator ? or should i look for the trailer with one already ?

DennisVR

NorCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a generator that's built in, it will already have the gas tank installed.

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously, but again it would mean another tank installed or having to be installed for gas. while i already carry propane hence the question about duality of fuels

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacil wrote:

For the camping we are looking to boondock 50/50 campsites, like when we are on boat sometimes on anchor somewhere secluded sometimes in marinas :-), and i have my eye on external dual-fuel generator only thing i am still undecided if i want one built in or external, actually comments on this would be really welcome.

Well if you are used to living (at least overnight) "on the hook", then you know that a good battery bank is important. Your 5er probably does not have an inverter, so buy an inverter/charger. One that accepts shore power and generator power.

As for a generator, I really do not have experience in that area. My gut says get an external one. You can buy some that are already setup for dual fuel. Hondas are nice, but there are other good quality ones out there for about 1/2 the price.

bacil wrote:

As for build, is the build quality really an issue ? eg. gelcoat, frame, furniture etc. ? just asking because price for new trailer is almost the same as boat so one would expect same quality.

Not necessarily a good comparison. Besides you said you were looking at used. Water leaks are usually the biggest issue. On any used RV you really need to get on the roof and do a close inspection for tears or caulking pulling away. If the floor is the least bit soft, run don't walk away (just like a soft deck on a yacht).

* This post was edited 01/05/18 06:20pm by theoldwizard1 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Fulltime traveling with 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS