Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to buy and how pay
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Time to buy and how pay

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
schubi

still Germany

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

we are come from Germany. In a few month we start the full time tour during the States. So we have questions...

Can someone tell me if the Prices to buy an RV changes during the year ? In Germany the Prices in autumn and winter are very low, in the springs high.

Second question:

how i can pay the RV, when i buy from a private seller or a dealer ? Opening a bankaccount and transfer the Money from my bank is the first step, i think. And then...Cashier check ?

Thanks a lot

Stefan

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to an adventure.
First question, yes prices here tend to be seasonal as well, price follows demand.
Secondly, on private purchases, about the best way is to meet with the seller at their banking institution, especially if there is still a lien on their unit and complete the transaction there with the title immediately available to you. Forged cashiers checks have become a problem and many prefer bank transfers when possible.
Happy motorin

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is more of a location component in the market here than in Germany I believe.

Right now the prices in popular winter destinations like Yuma, AZ are likely to be higher than in the snow bound North Eastern US. However, there are many more units for sale in the winter destinations, so supply may be more than demand in some locations.

The point being, unless you are willing to travel 1000's of miles for some dollar savings, be happy with what you find in the area you are shopping in at the time you are trying to buy.

You will want to Google "How to open a US bank account if you are not a resident" or some similar search to see how difficult it can be. See if your present bank has a close affiliation with a US bank and/or will wire money directly to the sellers bank account.

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northern U.S. prices are seasonally similar to Germany. Florida different because the winter is a peak selling season while tourists are there for the season.

On new units, there are some reduced costs if you purchase near the factory and transportation is minimized.

Wire transfer from your bank to seller's bank is the safest method.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beware of any flood damaged units in TX, Fla, etc.
bumpy

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having recently bought and sold a boat in spain, there is no need for a local bank account. You can do an international transfer. For around $25k, our credit union charges $50.

The only catch with that is ensuring you get a clean title in your hands once the cash is transferred.

The bigger question is registering the RV. This is done at the state level and varies from state to state but most want an in state address to tie it to. I know there are ways around it but not having done it, I'm not sure exactly how.

Prices do vary by season but not by huge amounts and if you get the discount it's because it's not a good time to go camping in the area. If it were me, I would go looking in Arizona (Phoenix area). A lot of retirees spend the winter out there. A lot of them die or quit and then there is an RV to get rid of. They usually don't have the wear and tear kids put on the units and are generally better taken care of (no guarantees though).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have met a number of European RVers visiting the US on our travels. Welcome!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up north, cheaper in the fall, more in the spring. In the snowbird areas, it is opposite.
If you have $ in the bank here, yes whatever is agreeable to you and the seller. Cashiers check, wire transfer, big bag of cash.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

re. big bag of cash. aren't there issues with over 10,000 cash purchases?
bumpy

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pay? Easy. Once you find what you want you both go to his bank, you transfer the money, pay the fees, he gets the cash and hands you a clean title.
BTW do you already have your visa?
Several years ago when camp hosting I talked to a German couple who did exactly that. They had pre purchased a truck and trailer. Flew to South Dakota, paid for it and left for their 12 month journey. The husband worked via the internet and cell phone.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Time to buy and how pay
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS