Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Pulling a jeep
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Pulling a jeep

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

smj wrote:

Blue Ox makes / made a surge type brake system, also. It fits in between you receiver and tow bar. It works very similar to the Ready Brake. I have both but have never used the blue ox. ( I bought it when I needed a replacement quickly for my ready brake . The ready brake was repaired very quickly, so I didn't need to rework my setup to use the blue ox. It's still in the box).
I use the ready brake to flat tow my 4 door jeep rubicon on 35" tires, about 5000 lbs. It works really well. I have towed over and within the Sierras and the Rockies many times. The jeep brakes aren't applied when using only engine braking down a long grade. They don't activate unless you apply moderate or strong braking of the tow vehicle. I think its a great solution and doesn't require extra parts to be installed in the driver's floor area every time you tow. In fact its a very simple mechanical device with very few parts to fail, no electronics at all. Only special consideration is the tow bar must be within 2" of being level when the rigs are on level ground. This prevents binding of the brake mechanism.

As far as OP, I have a 3.5" lift and 35x12 tires with no wear problems from towing over 10k and 30k+ on this set of tires- KO 2 .
good luck,
Stuart

We use one of THESE

I like this idea ,it requires air brakes and the average "C" lacks that.

Cider

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post to original question about key in ignition. I believe, but not positive, that 2009 was the last year that the steering wheel lock was involved. I may be wrong, but best bet is to check owners manual, or, take key out of the ignition and turn steering wheel lock to lock to see if it locks up. If so, need to leave key in ignition and may also have to disconnect battery as part of flat towing the rig. Our is a 2008 JK and we use a "dumb" key to keep wheel unlocked with a built in battery disconnect switch installed. Hope this helps you on the original question.

packnrat

soon to be the state of Jefferson U S A

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 12:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if your handy with basic hand tools. you can remove a steering wheel locking ring and or the locking device from the steering colume.
just make sure your T case is flat towable as some are not. you would burn up the rear bearing.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Pulling a jeep
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS