cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what roof vent to use

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked on line and the two versions I see are a spinning one by Camco called the Cyclone and one Called RV 360. I would guess the cyclone would work better. What are thoughts, or experiences With these products. Is there a other one that may work better?
12 REPLIES 12

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
In my old motorhome I installed the Cyclone and it worked great. On my current motorhome I installed the 360. The 360 didn't fix my problem. I will probably install the Cyclone on this one.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Not to be cynical but I've always wondered why they were needed. The common ones have always worked for me.
Is there some special situation where they are helpful? :@

I actually agree with Scott. but use ONE that is a "Weather Vane" type (I think that is the 360 but not sure) I may get another some day.

But I do not knwo that it makes a difference.

The 360 is not a "Weather Vane type." The 360 has no moving parts and is a lower profile than the vanes.

360 Siphon
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Not to be cynical but I've always wondered why they were needed. The common ones have always worked for me.

I actually agree with Scott. but use ONE that is a "Weather Vane" type (I think that is the 360 but not sure) I may get another some day.

But I do not knwo that it makes a difference.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 360 on my Motor home and it is a life saver. Prior to the install we would get a sewage odor when traveling. After I installed the 360, the odors are gone. We never had any odor problems when sitting still at a campsite, only when traveling. I have not and will not install any of these devices on my Travel Trailer as we don't occupy it while traveling down the road. As for the wind vane type, it has moving parts and WILL wear out. Your choice, for a motor home, I consider it a necessity, for anything else it is just a waste of money. If you have odor problems sitting still you need to fix the Air Admittance Valves and toilet seals and one of the fancy vents will not solve those problems. After the install of the 360, I still eventually after a couple of years had to replace one of the Air Admittance Valves. The valve problem showed up as a smell even when sitting still and was traced to the valve under the galley sink, it was stinky sitting still and moving just depending on the wind direction.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used $1.25 PVC Ts on previous MH to solve a odor problem...this MH came with them from the factory.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The RV 360 has worked well for us on two RV's so far. It's also factory installed on some models of a number of RV brands like Newell, Palomino, Airstream, etc. On a previous RV, I replaced a Cyclone with the low profile 360 after a small tree branch ate it. The 360 also has no moving parts to gum up.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
femailyetti wrote:
I have looked on line and the two versions I see are a spinning one by Camco called the Cyclone and one Called RV 360. I would guess the cyclone would work better. What are thoughts, or experiences With these products. Is there a other one that may work better?
We have the Cyclone and are happy with it. One - it looks cool, and two - it works as a weather vane.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I would install. No moving parts and it doesn't look cool but the advantage is that there are no moving parts and it doesn't need to look cool to work. Just look around a bit for a better price. Should be 10-12 dollars.
https://www.amazon.com/Chaffee-Engineering-VUJW-White-Vac-U-Jet/dp/B009IJRRGO
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I had a problem with the vent gas getting into the roof vent. The vent pipe was to close to the roof vent. I put on the cyclone and the problem stopped. Is it any better do not know but it solved my problem.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
for the most part they are a wallet drain.

its true that positive ventilation in a waste tank helps to quickly break down the waste, but "quickly" is relative.. unless its an unusually large tank where it will set for quite awhile, it will need to be emptied before the positive ventilation has a chance to make a difference.... and if the system smells so bad inside the coach that it needs positive ventilation to suck the odors out, there is a problem elswhere..... and unless there is a double vent in the system where fresh air can go in, how is the device going to suck anything out the tube its mounted on?
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I am redoing my roof, they may just be for a gee wizz factor. Just throwing it out to see if people believe its a upgrade, or just a wallet drain lol
There even seems to be a solar powered version, with a little fan in it you can install. Mostly leaving Friday night and staying over Saturday as far as use goes. I don't guess the tanks are going to get that full.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad