Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Jeep Wrangler Prices
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Jeep Wrangler Prices

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler as a towed vehicle behind a motorhome. My first thought was to buy one a few years old to save some money. So I looked up the price for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 with automatic transmission and 36,000 miles on NADA. It says the retail price should be $23,000. That seemed high so I wanted to see how much is the same car new. I went to Jeep and priced a new 2018 with 4X4 and automatic transmission: $26,500. That's before any negotiation so I'm thinking I can get a little bit off that price at a dealer; maybe $25,000 out the door. Who would pay $23,000 for the same car 4 years old? What am I missing here?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing. Jeeps are among the select few cars that are in high demand. Instead of spending thst much, unless you really want a Jeep, look instead at an older Suzuki. Sidekicks are pretty cheap, easy to work on, reliable as heck and a lot of fun to drive.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Nothing. Jeeps are among the select few cars that are in high demand. Instead of spending thst much, unless you really want a Jeep, look instead at an older Suzuki. Sidekicks are pretty cheap, easy to work on, reliable as heck and a lot of fun to drive.

Thanks for the reply. I actually owned a Geo Tracker 20 years ago and it was a fun car. What is the deal on the Sidekick? Can it be towed 4 down WITH automatic transmission? (I'm too old to drive a clutch any more) Does it have 4 wheel drive? Is it pretty good off road? Do they still make it?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sidekicks were the next generation of cars. Same as the Geo Tracker. Yes the 4X4 can be towed 4 down. Automatic? Not sure, but it should be OK too. Our last Sidekick was a 4door 97 viltage. Other than a front end alignment when we first bought it, we loved the cheap little car. Loved it so much we traded it for a 2007 Grand Vitara. Now, 75K miles later the only thing its needed is a new fuel pump. You might look at a bit newer Vitara or Grand Vitara older than 2006.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best towed we ever had was a type 1 VW ( 1970 )
The next was awn old square back Cherokee jeep. That had more room for stuff and other folks than we ever needed.

Now there is only the 2 of us we are towing a 07 Wrangler.

I'd be looking for a late model used. 97 and up, it is all condition.. they are what we know as component cars. as long as the body is good every thing else can be replaced.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never could find a used Jeep for what I considered a reasobable price. Finally bought a new four door wrangler. Checked out two doors but some people who would sometimes ride in the back seat could not manage to get in. Around here every used car dealer has a Jeep on their lot and it is usually gone in a day or two and a different one shows up. I think they keep the car auction houses busy. Anyway went new and I see some late model jeeps priced higher than what I paid.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imgoin4it wrote:

Anyway went new and I see some late model jeeps priced higher than what I paid.

I don't understand that. If the price is close I'm going new. Maybe even a lease just so that the anti-lease people here will get riled up. :-)

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

imgoin4it wrote:

Anyway went new and I see some late model jeeps priced higher than what I paid.

I don't understand that. If the price is close I'm going new. Maybe even a lease just so that the anti-lease people here will get riled up. :-)

beware which model jeep you are looking at, there are several cheaper than others.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the recent (as in say, last 5-10 years) high popularity of Jeeps in general, the prices are holding very well for the Wranglers, almost no matter what year. The JK is the newest model, starting in '07. That's also when Jeep came out with the 4-door Unlimited. The '07 to '11 has the less preferred 3.8L V-6. But, while it does have the lesser power motor, those years are still bringing fairly high resale prices.

The newer Pentastar 3.6L 285HP V-6 was introduced in '12 and has really helped bolster the sales of that year and up. But, the engine is not the only high attraction for these Kleenex boxes on wheels. They introduced a 5-speed Auto in '12 too and that is appealing to many folks. While the standard 2-door is still very popular, the 4-door is by far, the higher selling unit. And, as stated, is pretty close to the highest ranking, price holding used vehicle on the market.

When we were looking for one about 18 months ago, we were hit by the used car "sticker shock" too. We kept coming up against high prices on high mileage Jeeps. We dabbled in the potential new ones for a day or two but, for what we wanted, a fully equipped, brand new Rubicon Unlimited, we were looking at well over $47K out the door.

So, we kept looking at used and found our present one at a dealership. And that is a '15 JKUR with 27K on the clock for $38K, not including taxes and whatever else those lousy Jeep dealers want to charge for a used vehicle. But, we got that Jeep, a flawless 2 year old for right at $41K out the door. And we got factory warranty for a 3 years and 40K miles. As stated, the same exact Jeep, outfitted with the same exact packages, would have been just over $47K. So, we saved around $6K-$7K and got a flawless, never used off road, spotless, factory warrantied Jeep JKUR.

Yep, if you want a nice Jeep, especially with some nice bells and whistles, you're gonna have to pay. We've owned 9 Jeeps to date and, we wouldn't have anything less. We've driven Sidekicks, Trackers, and small vehicles like those and, nope, ain't happening. There are some deals out there for the Jeep Wrangler but, you have to be at the right place at the right time to grab them. Good luck.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spotted a very nice 97 on craig's list with very nice equipment both tops and an after market set of doors, at $13,000. it sold in 2 hours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Jeep Wrangler Prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS