cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Wrangler Prices

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler as a towed vehicle behind a motorhome. My first thought was to buy one a few years old to save some money. So I looked up the price for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 with automatic transmission and 36,000 miles on NADA. It says the retail price should be $23,000. That seemed high so I wanted to see how much is the same car new. I went to Jeep and priced a new 2018 with 4X4 and automatic transmission: $26,500. That's before any negotiation so I'm thinking I can get a little bit off that price at a dealer; maybe $25,000 out the door. Who would pay $23,000 for the same car 4 years old? What am I missing here?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
102 REPLIES 102

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In some states (especially Montana), taxes, title transfer, and registration fees are not included in the purchase price. The seller does not collect them. The buyer has a period of time (40 days, here) to get the paperwork done at the DMV office. The dealer prints a temporary registration good for 40 days. A private party seller takes his license plates off the vehicle, and the signed/notarized title and/or Bill Of Sale is the temporary registration.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
And taxes and registration vary widely too, so price before taxes and registration makes more sense.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

CrimsnTide17
Explorer
Explorer
palme1 wrote:
Scott, that was before taxes.

Willie

So.... basically close to $40,000 (at least here in Calif.)
Tax, License, Documentation...

From Edmunds - don't know the accuracy.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html#chart

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jeeps vary widely in price depending on the options and model. Last year in Los Angeles there were base model Jeep Cherokees that were new but last year's model going for under 17k.

palme1
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, that was before taxes.

Willie

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
palme1 wrote:
We just bought our first Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Willys to tow behind the motorhome. Loved the looks, rides great, really towable and I got a 2018 that listed at $40,518 for 36K even. Took a little negotiating and even walked out once, but near Raleigh, NC they are selling like hotcakes. I also looked at used, 1-3 year olds, but prices were near what I bought new for. About to retire and hit the road.

palme1,
May I ask, is that "$36K" with or without taxes? Or, should I ask it this way, was that OUT THE DOOR pricing?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

palme1
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our first Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Willys to tow behind the motorhome. Loved the looks, rides great, really towable and I got a 2018 that listed at $40,518 for 36K even. Took a little negotiating and even walked out once, but near Raleigh, NC they are selling like hotcakes. I also looked at used, 1-3 year olds, but prices were near what I bought new for. About to retire and hit the road.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
From Bloomberg today:

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV sold more vehicles to regular U.S. consumers than Ford Motor Co. last month, a rare victory that shows the strength of America’s SUV boom. Soaring deliveries of Jeep sport utility vehicles..."

Dave

Lots of jeep fans have been waiting for the forth generation jeep to come out and it's finally here.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
From Bloomberg today:

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV sold more vehicles to regular U.S. consumers than Ford Motor Co. last month, a rare victory that shows the strength of America’s SUV boom. Soaring deliveries of Jeep sport utility vehicles..."

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems to be happening with a lot of desirable vehicles. It is a function of demand. Vehicles last a lot longer now. I agree that there is some impetus to buy new. But a vehicle that doesn't get used much, there is also incentive to buy an older one that has been taken care of. 50, 75 or even 100 k miles is no big deal if the previous owner took care of it.

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Right is a JK

thanks

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
Hi,

we are from Germany and starting our RV fulltimer in May in Virginia. I am seaching for a Wrangler Sport for towing after a RV. I have a offer for a new one for 26.000$ no extras. For a used one i must pay 22000-24000, 2014-2016 an 20-30.000 miles. I dont understand that. How far are the used cars negotiable? Please tell me your experience.
Thanks

They hold their value. A new one for 26k Must be a 2 door jk
Don't think you can get the new jl for 26k
Koons jeep in Virginia has some of the best jeep prices around.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

we are from Germany and starting our RV fulltimer in May in Virginia. I am seaching for a Wrangler Sport for towing after a RV. I have a offer for a new one for 26.000$ no extras. For a used one i must pay 22000-24000, 2014-2016 an 20-30.000 miles. I dont understand that. How far are the used cars negotiable? Please tell me your experience.
Thanks

et2
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
You can get 5% below dealer invoice on a new ordered jl Wrangler.

I just went and looked at them....wow. Upper 40s to 50K. So expensive!

There's a price point for everyone. Maybe you didn't look hard enough. One can buy them all day long under $40,000.

https://www.suburbanchryslerdodgejeepramofannarbor.com/all-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=new&yea...