Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Jeep Wrangler Prices
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Jeep Wrangler Prices

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
jamesroadking

Lake City, Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have been looking at purchasing a Jeep, not to tow behind an RV but to go exploring the trails in the Osceola National Forest near where I live here in Florida. I have owed a CJ7 back in the late 80's that I bought new for $9K.
I had a Suzuki jeep that I bought new back in the early 80's for $5k.
The new Jeeps are ridiculously priced for what you're buying. You can buy a crew cab that seats six with a bench front seat F150 4X4 or Chevy Silverado 4X4 that can be flat towed for the same price. WTF! That's right, Ford and Chevy mark down their prices up $10K off if you shop around. Not Jeep, the best I found was a measling $500 off the MSRP.
I test drove 6 brand new Jeeps, Rubicons and Sahara's on the highways to 75 MPH, and yes in the mud too. Fun in the mud, but terrible at highway speeds, around town at 35-45 MPH is OK. Would not want to drive for hours down the freeway.
The Jeeps are very antiquated, a 5 speed auto, everything else has 6 speeds now a days. Fords now have 10 speed autos. A very underpowered V6, why wouldn't they put a turbo on it like Ford does? They want an extra $1-2K for a hardtop, Why isn't a hardtop standard for that ridiculously high MSRP?
I saw a lot of them on the lots, but when I asked the kids that the Chrysler Jeep dealers hires for sales people, they told me that they sell maybe two a month.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a used Wrangler, but took me a long time to find the right one at the right price. As already mentioned they hold their value very well. There are a lot of cream puffs out there, often called Mall Crawlers with low mileage and never been off road, then you will find the ones that have been beat up some. It's also very common to find rentals on the market too. The rentals can save money but at a risk; often they are ridden hard. If they are out of Hawaii you need to consider the rust aspect.

I've had hose of vehicles from F150s, F350, Cadi, Avalanche and my Wrangler even after 4 years is the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever had. I still look forward to driving it every day, even wit the rougher ride and lack of refinements.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

But, we got that Jeep, a flawless 2 year old for right at $41K out the door. And we got factory warranty for a 3 years and 40K miles. As stated, the same exact Jeep, outfitted with the same exact packages, would have been just over $47K. So, we saved around $6K-$7K and got a flawless, never used off road, spotless, factory warrantied Jeep JKUR.

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the reply. $41K for a used Wrangler? Yikes! If it only costs $6K more I'll get one new. I've worked hard for 40 years. I deserve it and I can afford it. It looks pretty nice. I priced one new on their website for about $26K. That was a 2-door. I'll probably get a 4-door. I don't need a lot of fancy schmancy stuff. If it's got cruise control and bluetooth I'm good. I can probably get that new for $30K. And I'll probably lease if it has an option to buy at the end and the price calculation is fair.

Steve

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Mall crawler" owner here. On Nantucket it seems that for the past few years everyone who buys a home here buys a Wrangler for the driveway. Last year I bought a 2014 with only 3500 miles.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, even the ones I want ('03-'06) are pricey, and usually high mileage.
I don't think I will be buying one anytime soon...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Automatic, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am following this thread with interest as I have just begun to consider a Jeep. My last Land Rover (2003 Discovery)is still going strong at 200,000 miles but is too heavy to tow behind our Renagade Villiago. We have been towing a Kia Soul on a dolly and love the car but this is the first time in 30 years that we have not had a 4x4 for exploring when traveling. Since we will only need the vehicle for camping, it doesn't have to look good or be particularly comfortable. lizzie

ddndoug

St Louis area

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a word of caution if you're buying a used Wrangler especially a TJ series: Be sure to inspect the frame for rust, not only the outside but definitely the inside of the frame rails especially near the transfer case skid plate. The frames have a lot of ways to get water, salt, sand, and mud into the frames thru holes (tie down, etc.), but no way to get out. There are no drain holes on the bottom of the frame, to allow the crud to wash out. What most Jeep owners do (at least ones that are in the know) is to drill a hole in each frame rail at the low point. You will be absolutely amazed at how much gunt will get washed out with a hose.

Doug

2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Nothing. Jeeps are among the select few cars that are in high demand. Instead of spending thst much, unless you really want a Jeep, look instead at an older Suzuki. Sidekicks are pretty cheap, easy to work on, reliable as heck and a lot of fun to drive.

If you're into off roading at all once you buy one you'll wonder why you didn't do it long ago. They're great vehicles for off the beaten track and in bad weather. We purchased a new TJ in 2004 with the intention of upgrading in a couple years. When the new JK design came out we decided we liked the looks and performance of the TJ better.

Nearly 14 years later we still have the same Jeep. It has 3 times the miles being towed behind the motorhome than it has been driven. Having said that nearly half the miles on the odometer are off road. Given it's current state I would expect it to last at least another 10 years.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

FIRE UP wrote:

But, we got that Jeep, a flawless 2 year old for right at $41K out the door. And we got factory warranty for a 3 years and 40K miles. As stated, the same exact Jeep, outfitted with the same exact packages, would have been just over $47K. So, we saved around $6K-$7K and got a flawless, never used off road, spotless, factory warrantied Jeep JKUR.

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the reply. $41K for a used Wrangler? Yikes! If it only costs $6K more I'll get one new. I've worked hard for 40 years. I deserve it and I can afford it. It looks pretty nice. I priced one new on their website for about $26K. That was a 2-door. I'll probably get a 4-door. I don't need a lot of fancy schmancy stuff. If it's got cruise control and bluetooth I'm good. I can probably get that new for $30K. And I'll probably lease if it has an option to buy at the end and the price calculation is fair.

Steve

Steve,
You're welcome. This is one of those things that, you simply make a choice and go for it. When looking for cars/trucks/Jeeps/motorcycles/motorhomes, etc., some folks go for the top of the line and pay what they pay. Some, go for mid range and some, are happy with the base units of all of those. There is no right or wrong, only what you're happy with. Yes, we were close, as in $6K - $7K from a new one. But, as stated, we got the same exact Jeep as a brand new one, for that much less and, acquired a substantial factory warranty to boot. So, I mean, why pay the $6K-$7K more for the same Jeep and the same warranty?

Yep, you can get a baseline Jeep Wrangler for the price you mentioned. To us, we thought like you. We figured we earned what we considered a "Higher end" Jeep. But, we have to run the fine line of what we can afford, as opposed to what we want. So, we compromised by getting a two year old that was close to the top of the line and still got warranty.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go Here

And you can price the Jeep Wrangler fairly well on late models.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Jeep Wrangler Prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS