Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Jeep Wrangler Prices
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Jeep Wrangler Prices

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

When Jeep was taken over by Chrysler, they had a regular 3-spd auto for years and years. Must have worked well 'cause they were all sold when they were at the dealerships. Then, when the '04 model TJs came out, they were fitted with a 4-spd auto. Again, must have worked 'cause THEY WERE ALL SOLD. You don't see any graveyards of older, brand new Jeeps with 3-spd and 4-spd autos rusting away, 'cause they didn't sell.

"THEY WERE ALL SOLD"

Several people here point out that all the Jeeps sold so they must be worth the price on them. Well, that's obvious. What I'm wondering is can you name one model produced by a major car company that did not sell every vehicle they produced and they had to pay someone to scrap the extras? Of course they all sold. Someone will buy every car they produce (and they will adjust the prices if needed).

I was not whining about anything. My original question was just to understand if there is some reason why people will pay almost the same for a used car as what they can get one new or if I was reading the prices wrong? Apparently Jeep Wranglers just hold their value really well. Personally I'll spend a few thousand extra and get the new one. I might as well if it's not going to depreciate much anyway. In fact, I'm planning to LEASE a new Wrangler JK about Feb 12. Stay tuned.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Every time this comes up, the Jeep owners jump in trying to justify to themselves and the world why they chose to overpay for a vehicle that isn't proportionately better than any other car. My DD went through this logic when she bought a Wrangler and it didn't make sense to me then either.

Pretty confident that's your opinion. As I said, I didn't overpay and recieved a pretty nice deal for what I purchased. I also was looking at pickup trucks and for what I wanted was well into $55000. "I guess some would call that overpriced too". There's no justification needed to buy what you wish. There's many other vehicles on the road costing big bucks too. Some here would call those way overpriced.

Driving down the road to get to here or there, the cheapest car on the road will do it. Why pay over $20,000 if that's all you want or need. However there's different things offered for a reason. People have certain needs and requirements. It could be a lifestyle, certain needs due to climate, needs due to location, needs due to hobbies.

Heck, one could say ( maybe even your DD ) the same of what you paid or overpaid for your RV, it doesn't make sense either. You could always camp in a tent.

BlindGuynAR

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeeps are just crazy.

I paid $42k for my 14 JKU Anvil Rubicon brand new. With it having 36k miles now I bet I'd still command low to mid $30's If I were to sell it. They just don't lose value like others do. Huge demand, but that could be a bubble that bursts at some point.

I think 2 door models are much more reasonable though so if you don't need 4 doors look in that direction.

2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Every time this comes up, the Jeep owners jump in trying to justify to themselves and the world why they chose to overpay for a vehicle that isn't proportionately better than any other car. My DD went through this logic when she bought a Wrangler and it didn't make sense to me then either.

The Wrangler, especially the Rubi, is the best for what it was made for. Period, dot, end of story.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2013 SHO, 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

zb39 wrote:

If you can only get $500 off of MSRP your a lousy buyer. PM me I can get thousands off a new now with just a phone call. Good grief it's not that hard.

Won't get thousands off a Wrangler.

Yes you can. I have one to prove it.

Then you are one of the few.

In 2012 I bought my Rubi for $36,500. Nav, leather, two tops. It wound up being about $1900 under the sticker. That is just unheard of these days unless you get the right dealer with the right Jeep and the right time of year.....

My 2012 JKUR has 37,000 miles, moderately modified, and would fetch $32-33K easily. A new one can be had for around $45K. So there isn't much incentive to back off the price of a new one when they have used ones that are fetching a ton O' money...so unless you know someone or just have patience, I would think you can get your JKUR Recon for about $45K. About $4K off MSRP.

36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought one, hasn't got 500 miles on it yet. 2018 wrangler, first Chrysler product I've ever owned. I'm 62, have never stepped on a Chrysler sales lot, test drove a jeep and bought it, same day.
Quieter inside than the equinox we traded in, lots to like, full frame, steering box still hooked to the steering column with hard pieces, no electric steering needing reflashing, a manual transfer case, solid axles front and rear, shitloads of power and relatively decent handling, and a vehicle that holds it's value.
What's not to like?

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

08 Jk 2 door. Useless back seat unless it's kids getting in. Purchased new in 08, January 1st.
After reading these comments I now know why folks ask me if my JK is for sale. i took it in for air bag replacement and saw the new ones on the lot. I already plan on keeping mine and doing an engine swap when the time comes.
The quality is there,having owned and driven K-5 blazers for many years the Jk is the perfect town vehicle, it turns easily and despite a few blind spots is easy to drive. I use it in the desert and as a toad. I went for the 2 door because it was trailered inside my 32 ft, gooseneck cargo trailer before the class C. The 4 door was too long.
Scott, enjoy reading your posts. I too shudder at the fact some pick-ups are being had for 70K. My 06 2500 Duramax has 80K miles on it,pre def additive, perfect.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

08 Jk 2 door. Useless back seat unless it's kids getting in. Purchased new in 08, January 1st.
After reading these comments I now know why folks ask me if my JK is for sale. i took it in for air bag replacement and saw the new ones on the lot. I already plan on keeping mine and doing an engine swap when the time comes.
The quality is there,having owned and driven K-5 blazers for many years the Jk is the perfect town vehicle, it turns easily and despite a few blind spots is easy to drive. I use it in the desert and as a toad. I went for the 2 door because it was trailered inside my 32 ft, gooseneck cargo trailer before the class C. The 4 door was too long.
Scott, enjoy reading your posts. I too shudder at the fact some pick-ups are being had for 70K. My 06 2500 Duramax has 80K miles on it,pre def additive, perfect.

Hey Klutch,
Thanks for the comment. You know, A Jeep is like any other vehicle, it appeals to some, and not to others. Is it possible for Jeep to sell the Wranglers for a cheaper price, no matter what model and how it's equipped? Who knows. Do they need to lower the price, apparently not.

A new pickup, even a moderately equipped one, no matter the brand, is pretty much out of my reach, pretty much forever. But, apparently not for some. Here in Lake Havasu City AZ, we see plenty of rather new trucks idling around town, many snowbirds don't know where the accelerator pedal is, oops, did I say that?

Anyway, we also see hundreds of Jeeps too. In fact, the wife and I comment as we've seen, many times, at a four way stop sign, a jeep facing in all directions. At present, our local Jeep dealership, is completely out of Jeep Wranglers. At least we've not seen any on the outside lot as we've driven by the last few times.

After owning, towing, modifying, and driving 9 different Jeep Wranglers in over a 35 year period, without a doubt, the JK model is by far, the most pleasant to drive, in all driving scenarios, on an off road. Did we pay considerably more for this "used" (27K miles on it when we got it) 2015 JKUR than any other Jeep Wrangler we've owned, yep, sure did. Never in my life did I think I'd pay over $40K for a darn Jeep.

But, times are times. Pickups are anywhere from $40K to $90K, depending on all the specs. Motorhomes new are anywhere from $100K to easily over $500K (for normal "sort of" income folks). Again, pretty sure a new one is out of my reach forever.

So, we have what we have and enjoy it immensely.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/18 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

Anyway, we also see hundreds of Jeeps too. In fact, the wife and I comment as we've seen, many times, at a four way stop sign, a jeep facing in all directions. At present, our local Jeep dealership, is completely out of Jeep Wranglers. At least we've not seen any on the outside lot as we've driven by the last few times.

Scott

You had me worried for a minute. I just did a search of local inventory for new 2018 4-door Wrangler JK Sport S, and they have dozens in the Dallas area. Most of them are boring colors, but there are a few that I can tolerate.

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone say rust. Mine is used hard only repairs I have done is brakes,a couple brake lines,o2 sensor and a radiator. It's a 2001 sport I purchased used in 2003 for $14,000.00
It's on its second plow [emoticon]

[image]
[image]

I'm looking for another one. This one is a new 2017 Sahara with leather and a 6 speed stick for $32,000.00 I'm still on the fence.

[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 01/29/18 07:45am by mike brez *

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Jeep Wrangler Prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS