Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Antigua 215sb Roof Repair...updated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Antigua 215sb Roof Repair...updated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed the FRP panels this week. Heres a shot showing pretty clearly the water damage stain area. I took the luan upper layer back to whatever point in was fully adhered, then removed all loose material, brushed the surface and vacuumed it ready for glue. Where there was a difference in thickness of the old layers I laid a big bead of liquid nail against that edge to fill the gap a bit.

[image]

hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cut a full width sheet of FRP (90-1/4" x 48"), coated the existing deck and the back of the FRP with DAP Weldwood Contact Cement which doesnt disolve the foam.

[image]

hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 2nd piece was cut and glued to fit the area that was prepared.
[image]

I will let it set up til next weekend and then apply 60 mil EPDM and re-install all the edge trim as detailed previously (butyl tape, screws, inserts, caulk). I also ordered a new Refrigerator vent cap as the original is cracking and breaking up just by me bumping it doing this work.

hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glued down the EPDM sheet.
[image]
[image]

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work!

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See photo below on a foam vs. adhesive issue. I used DAP Weldwood Contact cement to adhere the new FRP top deck layer to the existing deck layer. 95% of the existing deck layer was the factory Luan and a couple small areas were exposed "styrofoam". I had read in multilple forums that this contact cement would not dissolve the foam. Thats not entirely true in my actual field application. When rolled on in a thin layer, it appears to hold to the foam, but because that condition is now fully concealed I cannot say for sure. In this photo I had a small 3/4 inch gap where my new deck FRP didnt quite span the gap I made. So during the preparation to install the EPDM, I poured this gap which was 1/2 inch deep full with contact cement and it ate right through the foam. I quickly scraped the remaining cement out of the void and let the rest dry. The fix was I filled it with "gaps and cracks" aerosol foam which expands a little (but not 4X). I let it cure and swell, about an hour, cut it flush with the top deck and we overlapped this seam with Seam Tape and then EPDM.
So the lesson is dont lay the contact cement on too heavy in foam or insulation!

[image]

Jayco254

Eastern Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know some Lowes carry 4X8X1/8 Luan board. Seeing as my Jayco has rot some where on it most of the time I get mine from the Washington, Mo. Lowes.

Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Luan bad, FRP good!

slavco

Waterloo, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hybrid dw wrote:

Luan bad, FRP good!

First of all, wow awesome job! Thanks so much for posting pictures, it's always amazing to see the progress and how people tackle these repairs, so again, thank you!!

How does FRP compare in strenght to Luan? I realize the 1/4" Luan they put on there doesn't offer much but the styrofoam sandwich does seem to hold well together.
Are you able to walk on top of the FRP section?

Slav

hybrid dw

florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slavco wrote:

hybrid dw wrote:

Luan bad, FRP good!

First of all, wow awesome job! Thanks so much for posting pictures, it's always amazing to see the progress and how people tackle these repairs, so again, thank you!!

How does FRP compare in strenght to Luan? I realize the 1/4" Luan they put on there doesn't offer much but the styrofoam sandwich does seem to hold well together.
Are you able to walk on top of the FRP section?

Slav

Slav - FRP when bonded fully enough is stronger than Luan due to the fiberglas in it. (Certainly much stronger than water damaged, delaminated Luan). This question deserves more detail than that really. If anyone reading is in the construction or building design industry this may bore you.

Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) panels in this use is the 1/8th inch thick version sold at Home D***t. This is essentially pvc with glass fibers embedded (not mesh) that is vacuum formed into a 4 x 8 sheet with a bumpy texture on one side, smooth on the other. These panels are intended to be Wall coverings to produce high durability, they are not meant to be put in a load bearing condition...so this is my hack of FRP.

The Camper Structure is designed to rely on the engineering practice of diaphram bracing. The aluminum frame skeleton of the "box" is braced by these Luan composite panels(Luan/rigid foam/masonite). The Luan (wood) is approx 3/16 inch thick and cannot by itself be relied upon for load bearing...it has to be a bonded assembly of other materials to resist forces. My choice to use FRP is to replace a material susceptible to water damage (wood) with one that is not.

As for walking on it, only stepping where I know the aluminum frame is key or where the bathroom walls support the deck above.

Keep your eye on this thread for updates, I aint done yet!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Antigua 215sb Roof Repair...updated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS