Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Not a Newbie, but been to long and need advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Not a Newbie, but been to long and need advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And commenting on the dually front, it's fine out where we live as many parking lots are designed for trucks since that's what a lot of people out here drive. I've also driven it to work and I just park in the way back. But it is a pain to take it anywhere more crowded. We just don't do it.. we either take my Explorer or our commuter Ford Fusion.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-Boost
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

2btowed

glendale,az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to a dually Ford,get one with the wide-track steering,your turning and backing will be easy.Had 2 different SRW and went to dually,what a difference in wind,pulling out of mud,sand, bigger brakes.My rig is 38ft9in and get bumbed out of some CG.The main thing is can you back it in..Thus the wide track steering.I mostly dry camp,so ..check all the levelers and make sure high enough,restroom availabile w/o opening slide a must,also can you open frig w/o slide out.Spend the money and get an inverter/charger and your life will be much easier.also a min of 4 batts.Get a great mattress!!! I love my triple axle,it goes over the washboards way better than a 2 axle.Had both..,Many great places to camp w/o the campground all over the West,AZ,Utah ETC.Remember its the journey,not the destination that you should enjoy....1 more year and I'm out there also...

08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

thegabrielles

Flowery Branch, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2btowed, thanks for the advice. I checked into the wide track steering and there is a kit to add it but everything I looked at from dealerships made no mention of that as an option. I am hoping for a SRW.

The access is definitely a must. I had been told that by several people and it looks like bathroom bedroom are easy enough to find with access but the fridge requires a slide out to access on a lot of 5'ers.

I am more than capable of driving any vehicle, I just choose not to make it more difficult with the bigger DRW and longer trainer. Hopefully, I can find what I am looking for with the shorter length/ weight and be able to safely tow with a SRW setup.

Kim and David
Andrew 17yrs old, had been to all 50 states at 8 yrs old plus several countries and the Carribean Islands
He has grown up and we are getting ready to retire and see more of this great country!

2004 Winnebago Journey WKP39K, purchased 31May18!

tinner12002

Lafayette Ind

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thegabrielles wrote:

2btowed, thanks for the advice. I checked into the wide track steering and there is a kit to add it but everything I looked at from dealerships made no mention of that as an option. I am hoping for a SRW.

The access is definitely a must. I had been told that by several people and it looks like bathroom bedroom are easy enough to find with access but the fridge requires a slide out to access on a lot of 5'ers.

I am more than capable of driving any vehicle, I just choose not to make it more difficult with the bigger DRW and longer trainer. Hopefully, I can find what I am looking for with the shorter length/ weight and be able to safely tow with a SRW setup.

With whatever you purchase, be aware of your pin weight compared to your GVWR and payload of the truck your purchasing.

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Not a Newbie, but been to long and need advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS