Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford finally releases specs for F-150 3.0L diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford finally releases specs for F-150 3.0L diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 34  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allamakee1 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

The last I checked it was around 40% 3.5 EB, 25% 2.7 EB, 25% 5.0L and 10% 3.3L. So the base engine with the least power(290 hp)/best fuel economy is only purchased 10% of the time and customers opt for costlier more powerful/less efficient engines options 90% of the time.

Lets use your math the same way you did and assume the 3.5 and 2.7 will sell equal numbers of trucks, despite what Ford is actually saying. So they would split that 65% in half. I'll even give the more powerful 3.5 the benefit and say that's 33% of the market. So the engine that is most powerful/less efficient is only purchased 33% of the time and customers opt for cheaper less powerful/more efficient engines options 67% of the time.

See what I did there.....

When I talk about the last I checked numbers I am not talking about the numbers in the article from mid 2017. I am referring to actual numbers from the last time I checked dealer connection which we get from Ford since we own four Ford medium duty dealerships. I would post a link to the info, but you will need a log in and password to view it.

Allamakee1

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok..... So even if we accept your hidden numbers that still leaves the most powerful/less efficient is only purchased 40% of the time and customers opt for cheaper less powerful/more efficient engines options 60% of the time. That's not the vast majority you were preaching earlier.

This has gotten way off topic. My agenda was to give information and my experience on an available 3.0 diesel for anyone interested when they clicked on this thread. Lets get back on topic. I would like to learn more about the Ford diesel from anyone else and maybe what they have done to obtain such a high tow rating. Given my experience I was surprised by the rating.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allamakee1 wrote:

Ok..... So even if we accept your hidden numbers that still leaves the most powerful/less efficient is only purchased 40% of the time and customers opt for cheaper less powerful/more efficient engines options 60% of the time. That's not the vast majority you were preaching earlier.

There you go again leaving out information to fit your agenda. Combined the higher powered engines options(3.5L EB/5.0L) make up about 65% of engines sold. The less powerful versions of the two make up for 35% of engines sold. The 2.7L EB is an more fuel efficient alternative to the 3.5L EB and the 3.3L is the more fuel efficient alternative to the 5.0L for those that don't want turbos.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are those sales numbers you accessed regional, national, international, combined? I would be interested in knowing how many of the F550's currently sell powered with a 6.8 verses the 6.7, even though this is off topic from the introduction of the 3.0 in this discussion. It's a parallel subject with little chance of convergence.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI 1.9

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Are those sales numbers you accessed regional, national, international, combined? I would be interested in knowing how many of the F550's currently sell powered with a 6.8 verses the 6.7, even though this is off topic from the introduction of the 3.0 in this discussion. It's a parallel subject with little chance of convergence.

I will look, but it may not be able to until next week until I can. I will IM you what I find. BTW, the info comes on dealer notification letters so I will have to search through the most recent letters if any of them were about this.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allamakee1 wrote:

So the engine that is most powerful/less efficient is only purchased 33% of the time and customers opt for cheaper less powerful/more efficient engines options 67% of the time.

See what I did there.....

And none of that is relevant to the 3.0 diesel as it is less powerful and more expensive. Not sure where this discussion is going.

Purchasing the diesel in the half ton variants for fuel economy is similar to purchasing an extended warranty in that you are paying more up front in anticipation of a payoff at a later date. If you keep it long enough and fuel prices do not do something stupid you will come out ahead. Simple as that.

Allamakee1

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Allamakee1 wrote:

There you go again leaving out information to fit your agenda. Combined the higher powered engines options(3.5L EB/5.0L) make up about 65% of engines sold. The less powerful versions of the two make up for 35% of engines sold. The 2.7L EB is an more fuel efficient alternative to the 3.5L EB and the 3.3L is the more fuel efficient alternative to the 5.0L for those that don't want turbos.

I’ve stated what I intended to in regards to a 3.0 and to address your options from an actual 3.0 diesel owner for anyone interested in this situation. Obviously people can display data points to fit their agenda, but since there are no more valuable points to discuss/debate let’s let our debate die to get this back on topic. People can go back and read both of our opinions and let them make up their own minds for their own situations.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, sorry about your truck. Keep us updated about how the dealer resolves the issue. I can't image the frustration you are dealing with. Brand new truck and this issue. I'm really surprised, I thought the newly redesigned fuel pump would have solved those issues. Truly frustrating.

In regards to those $70K diesel trucks, here is a 2017 Ram 4 door Cummins with a fair amount of options for $44K. I'm sure with less options you could do even better. Not sure where you guys are buying trucks, or how in the world you afford them... but $70K for a TRUCK? Unless I am making a living off that truck, I am not spending that kind of money. You can get a decent MDT hauler and drive commercial for that kind of money... insanity!!!
https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new/Ram/2017-Ram-3500-Caldwell-boise-101762b20a0e0ae76cb81e67492cc902.htm

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

VernDiesel

Dayton OH

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Shinerbock’s idea for J2807 of moving that standard from 40 to 55 mph. 9k would also be a much more realistic & practical max tow rating for the suspension etc of an even properly optioned 1/2 ton truck. At least with respects to towing TTs & THs.

Incidentally I tow most grades with most TTs at 55 mph. I’m comfortable with that speed on a grade with a large double axle bumper pull TT. It’s also a sweet spot with my truck for gearing, fuel, & cooling. Same with coming down that grade. Set the cruise and the turbo brake & transmission normally holds the speed. Sometimes a lil supplement with the trailer brake controller for timing the passing of semi or if it’s a really heavy load. Took a 15,800 CVW load down a long 6 percent no drama no foot braking. (I have tune w turbo brake). Flatter terrain I normally set cruise at 65 & occasionally go up to 70 on a pass. Another sweet spot for gearing fuel economy stability & time vs speed. All being with WDH sep up according to Cat scale. Not that I’m a slow grandpa sometimes unloaded on an up to 80 speed limit interstate I’ll set the cruise 80 plus. I just don’t tow that way commercially or not.

I know the tow routine I described above wouldn’t satisfy ShinerBock. Thats fine their are people who will want and continue to buy a faster EB or big diesel. But others will be tickled with the easy no drama no buzzing rpms high fuel economy & reliable experience I described from a 3.0 liter turbo diesel be it Ford or Ram. BTW 370k plus on the lil diesel & no plans of trading it off.

* This post was last edited 01/13/18 09:46am by VernDiesel *   View edit history

Transportn Airstreams TT boats Mfg 2 dealer RAM EcoDiesel factory brake controller tow mirrors hitch camera receiver 1,290/12k no-sway WDH Axle to frame air bags Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive

Adam R

ut

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have also been awaiting the release of a diesel in both the Tundra (more specifically I want a diesel 200 series Landcruiser) as well as the F-150. Realistically a F-350 makes more sense for what I plan on doing eventually, but in the interim, I could get by with a F-150 diesel for a few years. However, when I compare a 6.7 F-350 to a 3.0 F-150 on purely the cost difference in fuel expense, it's just not that big of a difference to justify the less capable F-150. Figuring 15,000 miles a year, and 18 mpg vs. 30 mpg for the two vehicles, the F-350 would burn 333 more gallons per year. At $3.50 a gallon, that works out to $1166 a year or roughly $100 more a month to drive the bigger, heavier (safer) and more capable F-350. Unfortunately, at least for me, it just would not make sense to buy a diesel F-150.

Also, with the excellent performance and broad torque curve of the Eco-boost, I'd have to give the nod to that engine if I was going to buy a F-150. It's a great performer.

However, I think these engines will sell well, perhaps very well. Since most people are really bad at math, they will focus on the 30 mpg and not look at the actual cost difference between the Ecoboost and diesel options. The Ecoboost is less expensive and an extremely capable and suitable engine for anything a F-150 is spec'd to do. While there may be some breakeven point to justify a F-150 diesel, unfortunately it is many thousands of miles down the road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 34  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford finally releases specs for F-150 3.0L diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS