Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: FORD's New V-6 3.0L TD 250HP/440 Torque?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> FORD's New V-6 3.0L TD 250HP/440 Torque?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so in a few months one can order this new Ford Diesel in the F-150 and it offers towing ratings of over 11,000 lbs. So please tell me why FORD cannot offer this new diesel engine in the E-350 E-450 Cutaway RV chassis? I remember in 1996, our Tioga 31N 14,500 GVWR on a Chevy GP-30 chassis used by class C manufacturers and the Chevy 454 had 290 HP & 440 ft.lbs. of torque. This new diesel would solve two FORD issues: 1. Fuel Economy & 2. Interior leg room as the 3.0L TD would require a much smaller dog house! I just read about the Sprinter Chassis issues, with respect to Unibody Constructions and availability of parts and using only specific lubricants. Quite frankly, if I was to purchase a B+ motor home, I think the FORD Transit with the inline 5 cycl. would be a better option than the Sprinter, because it gets better fuel economy, puts out more Torque, and FORD dealerships are a dime a dozen, meaning they are everywhere. I just wish someone would come up with a class B+ of C that has sufficient room, a queen walk around queen bed, and a min of 15 MPG. Another issue I have with the Sprinter, RAM ProMaster, & FORD Transit is the approx. 25 Gal. fuel tank. Our 1996 Tioga Class C had a 60 Gal fuel tank vs 55 Gal offered by FORD. What say you?

Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son has a 2018 ECOBOOST F150 crew cab. He is very happy with it. Good fuel mileage and power. 10 speed with the high tow package. He tows a tandem trailer with his 2016 Shelby Mustang on it to shows.
He says it runs circles around his 2012 Chevy crew cab pickup.
Will the diesel be as good. Will have to wait and see. You would think the ECOBOOST package would work in a E450.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, anything to make the FORD E series Doghouse smaller! But, your idea of replacing the 6.8 V-10 with a smaller V-6 Eco-Boost is an excellent idea. Personally I have bad knees and I need to be able to stretch out my legs! And we all want to be able to move from the cab to the main box of the class C or B+. Chuck.

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two thoughts here, one, I don't think Ford will invest in any significant engineering for the Econoline, like a new diesel engine. Putting that V6 in a more HD version of the Transit cutaway would have the same effect though. Two, the Ecoboost V6 in its current form doesn't have the duty cycle rating to survive in a commercial application like a cutaway chassis. The Eco V6 in the Transit is derated significantly from the F150 version, and not even available in the Transit cutaway.

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would guess the Ecoboost wouldn't get that great of mileage in a B+ or C since it would be relying on the turbos much of the time to keep the thing moving. The Ecoboosts are great in the pick ups because most of the time they are not spooling the turbos as much to move around a relatively light pick up. Look at the MPGs of an Ecoboost towing a TT to get an idea of the MPGs you would get in a B+ or C.

I'm sure an Ecoboost would power one well just not get much better mileage than the V-10.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Ok, so in a few months one can order this new Ford Diesel in the F-150 and it offers towing ratings of over 11,000 lbs. So please tell me why FORD cannot offer this new diesel engine in the E-350 E-450 Cutaway RV chassis?

Duty Cycle. This motor was tested under the light-truck test cycle, vs the the 3.2L which is in the Transit, which is tested under the Medium-vehicle test cycle. The 3.0 V6 would likely end up being severely detuned to meet the requirements of the more stringent medium-duty test cycle, at which point it probably wouldn't be any more powerful than the 3.2L.

Thats also the same reason why the 3.5L EcoBoost isn't offered in F250s. To meet the medium-duty test cycle to put it in the Transit, it was detuned to the point it no longer matches the 6.2L V8 for power, and once you add a lot of frontal area, the fuel economy benefit goes away.

On that note: The 6.2L V8 is now available in the E-series, although the V10 maintains superior tow ratings.

If you really want a diesel, and the Transit won't cut it, there is a company called ExpoVans which has a drop-in Cummins 6.7L package for the E-series.

E350 6.7L short vid

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Focus ST

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does this new Ford V6 diesel compare to the Mercedes V6 diesel?
Marvin

Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is more powerful!

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bagman wrote:

It is more powerful!

On paper, yes. But you can't really compare the two engines. If the Ford Lion V6 were used in a commercial application it would almost certainly be detuned for the reasons Bryan cited in his post. If the Sprinter engine were tuned for a light duty application (like the F150) it would likely have similar power and torque specs to the Lion engine.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bagman wrote:

This new diesel would solve two FORD issues: 1. Fuel Economy & 2. Interior leg room as the 3.0L TD would require a much smaller dog house!

The current E350/450 chassis and sheet metal are hold over from the last generation. Ford is not likely to invest money in changing either of those items for the few thousand vehicles a month that they sell.

bagman wrote:

Quite frankly, if I was to purchase a B+ motor home, I think the FORD Transit with the inline 5 cycl. would be a better option than the Sprinter, ...

Don't expect that 5 cylinder to be around for a long time. The new V6 will replace it, eventually. (Lower cost, more power)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> FORD's New V-6 3.0L TD 250HP/440 Torque?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS