cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 5 Finally Paved ???

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
A fellow in our Park in Los Barriles told me yesterday that he was talking with an RVer a few days ago who said that Hwy 5 has just been paved - the entire new section is open and paved.

Has anyone been down Hwy 5 in the past week who can confirm or refute this report?
7 REPLIES 7

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I'm interested is because we don't go to San Diego. We exit through Tecate or Mexicali to go north on the eastern side of the mountains. Highway 5 is perfect for us in terms of the route.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Remember Mรฉxico is the land of maรฑana.

Hoy no, maรฑana a lo mejor...(today no, maybe tomorrow)

navegator

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are asking about 15-20 miles torture stretch from Coco Corner to where it meets Mex 1 - it was far from completion before Christmas and I really doubt they've changed their habits and pace. 2019 maybe.

San Quintin traffic is not that bad, you're still going 30-40 mph, and you are on a normal paved road, don't have to worry about tires. Traffic lights and unmarked speed bumps slow you down more than traffic, on this stretch.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't expect bargain basement prices like before shortcut was "discovered" Original owners have sold and fled and new owners are milking-the-cow. As crummy as traffic is from Ensenada through Lazaro Cardenas, I'll still go that way rather than jog from San Diego to Mexicali.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We need more excitement around here anyway.

navegator

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
OK, answered my own question.

I managed to track down the source of the news, which had been passed on through 2 other people before it reached me.

Turns out that the guy who was the source of the report came down Hwy 5 just before Christmas and was impressed by progress because he hadn't been down the highway for a couple of years. He reported that a fine gravel "cap" had been placed on some of the torture section, which made it easy to drive.

Bottom line though is NO, the torture section HAS NOT been paved. Still takes an hour and a half to get through.

A friend is planning to go north on that section mid-February, so I'll get up to date information from him at that time.

Sorry for getting everyone excited.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
That highway is almost 270 miles long. The part from Mexicali to San Felipe is excellent. Smooth. Just a couple topes.

Past SF, it's a bit rough for the 30 odd miles I've driven it.

Were you asking about that last 26 miles of torture where 5 joins with 1? So maybe clarify which section of 5 you're asking about. Last I heard, it's still nasty. But I'd like to know too.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.