cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Chassis Opinions

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Life changes and requirements change and this week we are going to see a Winnebago Era 70A. After spending months at a time on the road in a 36 foot with slide and amenities, we are looking for something to get us "from here to there" (but with amenities 🙂 ). We travel with 2 dogs and a cat and my DW is a celiac, so motels and restaurants just don't work.

I handled much of the service on my previous coaches and had places to do the "heavy lifting". How are Sprinters? Is chassis service easy to obtain? Also, I saw on a video that there is some fluid to be refilled every 10K miles for the emissions. I admit I haven't researched this yet, but is this a bit deal or simply keeping a gallon of something handy to top up the tank when checking fluids.

Thanks for any info,
Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36
22 REPLIES 22

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone mind sharing what they paid for an ERA 70A?

Perhaps % of MSRP?

Thanks.

Lee
Lee

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Just an update. We took the Era A out yesterday, toured it thoroughly, and ended up buying it. They put a lot of thought into this model, very few of the "lets put this in so we can point to it" frills.

We are having solar installed and the sofa unbolted so we can remove it and put it in our garage. I am hoping their service department doing the prep work and solar install lives up to their sales department. So far it has been a pleasant, straightforward experience with no surprises.

We pick it up in a week or so and head out on our first trip 3 weeks from now.

Dave

There is still one opening at the Annual Class B Rally in May. 🙂
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Just an update. We took the Era A out yesterday, toured it thoroughly, and ended up buying it. They put a lot of thought into this model, very few of the "lets put this in so we can point to it" frills.

We are having solar installed and the sofa unbolted so we can remove it and put it in our garage. I am hoping their service department doing the prep work and solar install lives up to their sales department. So far it has been a pleasant, straightforward experience with no surprises.

Dave

Congrats. Let us know how it goes.
Always interested in first hand experiences, good and (hopefully not) bad. What impressed you the most, what surprised you the most, etc..
Still waiting on ours to hit the assembly line, and looking forward to it.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I still would not buy a Sprinter based RV. If they come out with an electric model with a range of 200 miles I'd be most interested.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
Repair prices on all vehicles are high, we have had no major problems and few minor ones.

they all are high but some are higher than others. some depends on having our neighborhood mechanic be able to service it vs. taking it to the dealer.
bumpy

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Thank you Asheguy. I have noticed the license plate in your signature over the years and wondered how you got along in your class B. I think I'm starting to understand.
Dave
My wife came up with that choice for our Class B license plate almost immediately. Class Bs certainly meet that description, but we have found the size of our Class B to be completely adequate. They are not for everyone though.
- Our Blog -

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Asheguy. I have noticed the license plate in your signature over the years and wondered how you got along in your class B. I think I'm starting to understand.

Dave

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
That's good news, and always good to hear.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
141K miles on our Sprinter diesel class B and it's still going strong. Most negative comments about Sprinters do not come from owners. Repair prices on all vehicles are high, we have had no major problems and few minor ones. A friend of ours just got an estimate of over $2000.00 to fix the fuel gauge on his Chevrolet pickup. $600 of that was just to remove the gas tank.

We would make exactly the same decision on buying a Sprinter Class B now as we made about 13 years ago. We have had excellent service from it.
- Our Blog -

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MDKMDK,

Ty!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Ah shucks, 'tweren't nuthin'. 😉

(You're very welcome)

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

Thanks
Your info was great
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
hpdriver do you have a url for that information?

2016 unveils a half billion dollar assembly plant. Hard to leave that behind?
https://www.ccjdigital.com/mercedes-benz-vans-goes-all-in-with-new-u-s-sprinter-production-plant-updates-sprinter-and-metris-lineups/

About halfway down. "Daimler will continue to use diesel engines in its Sprinter commercial vehicles."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-10/with-mercedes-exit-u-s-diesel-car-market-shrinks-even-more

3rd paragraph "Daimler was approved last month to sell diesel Sprinter commercial vans after long talks with U.S. regulators."
http://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-drops-diesels-for-2017/

The future of MB Sprinters Worldwide and North America. Some new options and some standard equipment will remain.
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1712-2017-mercedes-benz-sprinter-innovation-campus/