Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sprinter Chassis Opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Sprinter Chassis Opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life changes and requirements change and this week we are going to see a Winnebago Era 70A. After spending months at a time on the road in a 36 foot with slide and amenities, we are looking for something to get us "from here to there" (but with amenities [emoticon] ). We travel with 2 dogs and a cat and my DW is a celiac, so motels and restaurants just don't work.

I handled much of the service on my previous coaches and had places to do the "heavy lifting". How are Sprinters? Is chassis service easy to obtain? Also, I saw on a video that there is some fluid to be refilled every 10K miles for the emissions. I admit I haven't researched this yet, but is this a bit deal or simply keeping a gallon of something handy to top up the tank when checking fluids.

Thanks for any info,
Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sprinter diesel no longer sold in North America. I would eliminate it from your search.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

newBera

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 2013 70A not long after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. One of the factors in the purchase was the relatively large refrigerator. My wife wanted the extra storage under the beds. I love driving the Sprinter. My first RV was a gasoline powered 32' Class A and I hated driving it. Of course I had to tow. I love the diesel engine in the Sprinter, the way it doesn't slow on hills. We don't have to tow but I can. My only problem with the Sprinter are the constant rumors on sites like this that talk about dash lights coming on, having to replace this engine part, etc. I just get the service performed regularly and, for the most part, haven't had much trouble. (I have had to replace a few cheap Winnebago coach parts.) It is not a problem to add the DEF fluid. I just add it either when it asks for it or whenever I arrive home. No problem.

hpdrver

Mansfield, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad information. Mercedes announced they would be ending the sale of diesel autos but Sprinters would still be sold with a diesel. Mercedes is revealing a new generation Sprinter in Europe next month .

* This post was edited 01/07/18 05:24pm by hpdrver *

Texas Two Step
2017 Winnebago Via 25P
2005 Jeep Wrangler

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hpdriver do you have a url for that information?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you,ll get much better answers if you will go to a sprinter forum, we love ours.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newBera, that is too funny. The salesman said "I think you need the X with the extra seats removed"... and then we saw the small fridge! Thanks for the info on the DEF.

Dave

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

you,ll get much better answers if you will go to a sprinter forum, we love ours.
maybe, but after 15 years on this forum I've come to respect the responses.

I do appreciate that you are a happy owner.

Dave

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you buy the mercedes diesel, be sure to have a full wallet if something goes wrong.
bumpy

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

hpdriver do you have a url for that information?

2016 unveils a half billion dollar assembly plant. Hard to leave that behind?
https://www.ccjdigital.com/mercedes-benz-vans-goes-all-in-with-new-u-s-sprinter-production-plant-updates-sprinter-and-metris-lineups/

About halfway down. "Daimler will continue to use diesel engines in its Sprinter commercial vehicles."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-10/with-mercedes-exit-u-s-diesel-car-market-shrinks-even-more

3rd paragraph "Daimler was approved last month to sell diesel Sprinter commercial vans after long talks with U.S. regulators."
http://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-drops-diesels-for-2017/

The future of MB Sprinters Worldwide and North America. Some new options and some standard equipment will remain.
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1712-2017-mercedes-benz-sprinter-innovation-campus/

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Sprinter Chassis Opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS