Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Complete Dissatisfaction with Camping World Repair Job
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World Service and Inst...

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World Service and Installation

> Complete Dissatisfaction with Camping World Repair Job

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mike.milburn1775

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New poster, however I am looking for tangible recommendations on how I should proceed. Short version. Jan 28 2016 I was driving from San Diego to Austin in my 2013 Thor Daybreak. My son was following in my truck. It was around 8 am, we had stopped for the night, woke up, got gas and as I got up to around 50 (highway speeds) my son said the RV made its way across the Eastbound 10, through the median and across the Westbound 10 before coming to rest in a group of bushes/trees. I had suffered a stroke and woke up 45 minutes or so later in the ER, completely unaware of what had transpired. At my insurance company's recommendation, I had the RV towed to CW El Paso for repairs (their initial claims adjuster went to the junk yard and gave us a rough estimate on a van that was there vice my RV.) So I continued my quest for Austin with the RV staying behind for a fix (which looked primarily cosmetic without looking underneath for additional damages. I was initially told by the insurance company it would be a matter of weeks. They reneged and instead said it could be months. Fast forward to early November. RV is repaired and delivered to my new address here in Austin. Looked great, nice paint job. I went to level it and it sounded like a steel bending orchestra. I stopped immediately, tried to retract, but the leveling jacks had been bent (most likely in that 55 MPH trip across 4 lanes of highway and a median. So they come to tow it to the next closest camping world in New Braunsfels, put it on a list and low and behold there was actual debris from the original wreck (tumbleweeds, branches, etc) jammed in all sorts of locations. The jacks were obviously bent, a rear crossmember was obviously severely bent, the gas tank looked like I had taken a sledge hammer to it. So it essentially never made it to a lift.

Since its been a year now, do I have any legal recourse. I'm not really looking to make a mint here. But that's a full year of monthly payments, maintaining insurance premiums, etc, without my coach. And quite frankly I don't know that I will ever feel safe driving that thing with my family aboard (much less the potential damage to other drivers on the road.) Again, not looking for a payday, but I am getting shafted on this thing and the silence from both CW and Progressive is deafening. I'm a newb all the way around so I would definitely appreciate any constructive criticism. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the Ins co will not help you might be on your own. I would
Talk to thor and see what they recommend. Maybe have the factory repair or the people that made the chassis.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The very first thing is to notify, nicely,the Ins. Company about the additional damage from the accident.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your insurance adjuster did not do his job- Camping World only repaired what the adjuster said was damaged and offered settlement for. Granted Camping World could have and should have discovered the damage. I am an attorney, but not licensed to practice in Texas. What you are dealing with is undiscovered damage and you are not looking to be unjustifiably enriched. Call the people who settled the initial claim and ask that it be reopened.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems CW isn't cutting it. Take your Thor to another place that knows how to properly do repairs. Anyone authorized by Thor can do the work, it doesn't have to be CW.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Your insurance adjuster did not do his job- Camping World only repaired what the adjuster said was damaged and offered settlement for. Granted Camping World could have and should have discovered the damage. I am an attorney, but not licensed to practice in Texas. What you are dealing with is undiscovered damage and you are not looking to be unjustifiably enriched. Call the people who settled the initial claim and ask that it be reopened.

Correct response. Don’t lawyer up yet either. Talk to the insurance company first.

Amazing CW didn’t do a thorough walk thru.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Seems CW isn't cutting it. Take your Thor to another place that knows how to properly do repairs. Anyone authorized by Thor can do the work, it doesn't have to be CW.

I think he is also concerned about who will pay for it. Taking it somewhere else doesn’t solve his problem.

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello mike.milburn1775,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam. I apologize for the experience you have had.
I would like to look into this further. Please provide your contact number in a private message.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your insurance co wants to ignore you file a complaint with your states insurance commissioner. You will get results.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

stripit

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an ex-body shop manager any time we suspected 'off road' was involved with the collision, we crawled under or lifted up the vehicle to ensure any damage was spotted and estimated for repairs. I have to say if the repairing shop failed to look your rig over top to bottom they failed. The insurance adjuster only approved what the shop told him/her of the items found. Contacting the insurance company and stating more unfound damage should open the claim again and you can go anywhere you feel good about to have the secondary damage repaired.

Stacey Frank
'07 Winnabago Class C
'08 Lexus 400H
'15 Cadillac SRX
Blue Ox towing system

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World Service and Installation

> Complete Dissatisfaction with Camping World Repair Job
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World Service and Inst...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS