Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: poor frame design on travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> poor frame design on travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Grand Design brags about that tongue feature, pointing out how large the front storage is.

They must brag about it along the same lines as others brag about the benefits of "Azdel", "Amish Craftsamship", "lightweight", and "aerodynamic coroplast underliner".

Having the A frame members dropped gives you no more storage than conventional. When the A frame slides through the front apron and ties into the main rail webs like most, they're still below the floor LOL.

They do that drop typically to accommodate through the frame slide mechanisms or to make up for trailers with a high ride height. The OP has neither which tells me they had frames fabricated they could just throw on a bunch of different floor plans.

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, this is another option too.

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is nothing inherently wrong with that A frame design. Indeed many of the heavier units tend to use that design... But,,,, that design usually has the axles under the springs. This allows for greater ground clearance. You did not say, but I bet your axles are on top of the springs. If so, then this is a mismatch.

I can be corrected pretty easy by doing an axle flip. Removing the axles, welding new spring pads on top of them and reinstalling them (not actually flipping) under the springs. It will cost way less than trading the unit, and is a common method for increasing ground clearance.

Don't let others scare you with pics of bent frames etc... That is not your problem. Most TTs will not have that problem.. EVER.

Dog

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

With that type of A-frame/trailer frame I would be more concerned with 'failure'

[image]

I've seen that pic before in another forum and am almost certain was in a post by the actual owner. If it is indeed the same one that happened after an extended trip, over 15K miles, of traveling gravel frost heaved washboard roads in Alaska and the Yukon.

That has little to do with the A frame arrangement and more to do with overloading the trailer beyond the capacity of those tubes. If they would of been installed conventionally through the front apron and connected into the webs of the main frame rails they would most likely still have done the same. Look at the storage compartment. I'd bet dollars to donuts he had that trailer grossly overloaded.

You also do not know what type of abuse the owner threw at it. I have a favorite site at a PA state park that is on a hill overlooking the main entrance road. They have a huge speedbump, I call it a 6" curb lol, with a 10 mph speed limit. You would be surprised at the amount of people that come up that road doing 30+ mph and never give that speedbump a 2nd thought as they go bouncing over it, and you ought to see what a trailer and tow vehicle do when they nail it correctly. I have often thought of making up numbered cards so I can sit around the fore on Fridays sipping hooch and score people on form.

Huntindog wrote:

There is nothing inherently wrong with that A frame design. Indeed many of the heavier units tend to use that design... But,,,, that design usually has the axles under the springs. This allows for greater ground clearance. You did not say, but I bet your axles are on top of the springs. If so, then this is a mismatch.

While reading through this thread the other day I found a pic of the OP's model a year or two older, the axles were underhung below the springs. That being said, I would not be surprised for a manufacturer to do a run of models one way this week, and do a 180 next week because they ran out of A but had B sitting around.

What gives the OP's issue away are the two stair entry steps. Something is mismatched. Most trailers I have seen with a dropped A frame have 3 tread entry steps which is roughly an 8" increase in ride height.

* This post was edited 01/09/18 02:24am by Ralph Cramden *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I can be corrected pretty easy by doing an axle flip. Removing the axles, welding new spring pads on top of them and reinstalling them (not actually flipping) under the springs. It will cost way less than trading the unit, and is a common method for increasing ground clearance.

Don't let others scare you with pics of bent frames etc... That is not your problem. Most TTs will not have that problem.. EVER.

Good points.....we've all seen bent frame pictures with both type frames and Lippert wasn't even in the frame building business yet.
The bent frame in the picture had nothing to do with any welding issues....but more to do with choosing the wrong structures steel strength/lbs per ft. I guess it makes some feel good bashing Lippert in this case.

The bent picture is a good example of too much truck especially a one ton truck pulling a small TT and what can happen on certain road surfaces.

We see the same design on commercial trailers

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I guess it makes some feel good bashing Lippert in this case.

All good points but I reserve my right to bash Lippert after the problems I have had with their products, a lot more than frames, and the conversations I have had with some of their supposed "customer service" people.

The best was "You do know you are not supposed to move your RV with water in the fresh water tank don't you?" when the support system which is a standard Lippert part failed.

I asked where that documentation was located, and they claimed its located in the same place as I was already informed by Forest River, who referred me to Lippert BTW. "That's on the the little yellow sticker that says a full tank of water weighs X and needs to be subtracted for cargo capacity". I guess its dependent on how you comprehend the little yellow label.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

The best was "You do know you are not supposed to move your RV with water in the fresh water tank don't you?" when the support system which is a standard Lippert part failed.

Exactly what they told me when I had frame cracks. Maybe you heard it from me?

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Ralph Cramden wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Exactly what they told me when I had frame cracks. Maybe you heard it from me?

I have the name of the Lippert rep from whose mouth that BS spewed around here somewhere LOL. I don't think it was Lynnmor IIRC LOL.

I once had an issue with lack of factory sealant on the bottom of one of their securelock tent doors, which are used on almost every hybrid made less Forest River. That time the female tech rep I happened to talk with after much trying to get anyone there who actually knew they made those doors said "Well it is a hybrid so you should expect it to not be weather tight". What I expected was factory sealant between the aluminum perimeter channel and the main panel of the door not to be missed, like the others I looked at that had the sealant, so that when it was closed it leaked resulting in delam of the panel at the bottom.

There is no love lost between Lippert Components and I.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good grief...
Ok guys don't get your panties all twisted up. Reread what I said. I would 'spect the OP doesn't need or want others issues with Lippert that had noting to do with his questions/concerns.
As I said "in this case"....which your problems with Lippert has nothing to do with the bent frame picture or the OP questions/concerns.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Good grief...
Ok guys don't get your panties all twisted up.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> poor frame design on travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS