Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Considering Consignment with Camping World, any experiences?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Considering Consignment with Camping World, any experiences?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to do one of two things with my old rig:

1: Trade it in for next to nothing. When I plan to trade it in, my overall costs are cheaper than a hotel for the length I owned it, and the number of days camped.

2: Haul it to PPL, pay them the $500 to have them detail it, and set the price to NADA low. I would say $5000 for my 2011 TT. Yes, I am selling it for less than half of what I paid for it... but if I amortized the number of nights (320) I've used the rig for, it has been relatively cheap.

I don't care to deal with craigslist cheats or ebay scammers.

As for Camping World, since they pay for this forum, I will always consider them as a source for my next RV, and definitely patronize them. They have some interesting entry level class "B"s and class "C"s which, after a little bit of polish, would be pretty reliable and inexpensive units.

* This post was edited 01/09/18 09:15am by ctilsie242 *

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have to ask, who is PPL?

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 dog nights wrote:

have to ask, who is PPL?

PPL

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

BadgerMcAdams

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

3 dog nights wrote:

Have seen the video, read the experiences of people re: insurance while on the lot
Still have to accept the fact, they have the traffic! Looking for personal experience, not antidotes.

[emoticon]

Thats a plain silly excuse.

Just because CW may have "traffic" it doesn't mean that their sales people are going to push or show YOUR rig. They are in the business to sell NEW units which they will get bigger commission on.

>>>SNIPPED<<<

I have been at both Camping Worlds here in the Phoenix area several times, and not one single time has a saleperson asked me if I wanted to see a Used Consignment trailer or even mentioned that they have them on their lots. But they sure did want me to look at all the New trailers they had...

Just saying...Traffic does not mean they are driving people by Your Trailer...of if they do, it is in the golfcart on the way to the New trailers.

Take it for what it is worth...

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

I would never consign to an outfit that also sells new RVs (dealership). They will push new first and maybe show yours at times. Also, be sure you hold the title, don't give it to the consignment lot, just a warning.

Each State is different, but in Michigan, (as an example) - a dealer selling titleable vehicles MUST have the title on their premises. So that's going to require a HUGE amount of trust. And I agree with the others that your unit will be used to sell "new". Craig's List is how we sold our last 2 RVs; and I've just been introduced to "Facebook Marketplace" which keeps items and customers somewhat local. It's free.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 dog nights wrote:

have to ask, who is PPL?

See post #2

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 dog nights wrote:

We are looking at selling our 5th wheel and moving to a class A, was thinking of putting with Camping World on consignment, was wondering the good, bad and ugly of doing so. Any stories?

Advertise it yourself - try Craigslist.

Also Escapees has a for sale forum (free, of course) - which seems to move RVs pretty well.

~

allenb12

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worked great for me I told them what I wanted and 5 weeks later that is what I got.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Jut make sure that you fully understand what you will pay for and what Camping World will pay for. Read the documents you sign thoroughly before you sign. If you don't understand something, get a third party to explain it to you. Also, you should know that your insurance probably will not cover any losses you incur while your unit is consigned. Check with your insurance agent.

And after you've done all this, you would be wise to walk away from anything to do with Camping World.

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unlike many on this site, I'm not into bashing Camping World. I do think putting a rig up for consignment in a place selling new and used trailers is not a good way to do it. Naturally, they want to sell their new and used rigs for that is their best profit. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to put it on a lot I would do some research and find a reputable consignment lot. Most towns have them and people looking for used rigs will gravitate to those lots. Good luck.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Considering Consignment with Camping World, any experiences?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS