Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Are we insane?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Are we insane?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
miles999

Central Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

It sounds like you'll be spending the majority of time in one place, or moving around areas where you'll have not a lot of time to use your toys.

Thanks DrewE, you make a valid point that we had not yet thought through, hence the reason for our post. We are now thinking we should not limit ourselves to only one segment of the market.

miles999

Central Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

As you don't have kids at this point, your options for places in Sacramento to buy a home are wide open.

There are a lot of older smaller homes out there with small price tags. And even if the market goes down, they are unlikely to put you under. The areas where these homes are located are not any worse than where the rv parks are located.

If you total the payments for the truck and trailer and the cost for the park, you could get a small home for around the same.

Sacramento gets very hot in the summer so that AC will run almost constantly in an RV.

True, with no kids we have more options available than most. We are concerned with the lack of quality housing when you begin limiting your budget to less than $350,000 and the ones we have viewed in that range need updating meaning more money. Very familiar with the heat as we lived in the Central Valley from 2012 through 2016, summers can be brutal. In regards to payments for us we will simply have to decide the lesser of the evils presented with all costing us....and determine which contains acceptable risk.

* This post was edited 01/07/18 09:41pm by miles999 *

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have to decide on the finances, but you might consider a trailer rather than a 5th wheel. You could probably manage with a less expensive truck.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 12:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No you are not insane. You are really weighing your options. Best if luck.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

miles999 wrote:

We think buying a house would carry the largest risk of all in that we might need to “bring our checkbook” to the closing when we sell due to the short time we have owned it. The Sac market should be good in 2020, but …… Renting is extremely unattractive for two reasons: difficulty of finding a house that allows that many pets and completely throwing away our money for someone else’s equity.

I think buying a house may be the best option,,house value goes up..
RVs on the other hand keep losing value and you still need to pay rent wherever you park..unless you want to boondock or WMart..

Once you factor in taxes, maintenance, remodeling etc..., houses typically lose money. Particularly if you may only be there for a few years before selling and taking the realestate commission hit. Maybe not as fast but not a lot of quarter million dollar 5th wheels out there.

I would also be hesitant on the toy hauler. We have friends with a new 38' toy hauler and it has a living space the size of our old 28' 5th wheel. They don't have nearly as much space as our new 34' 5th wheel. If you aren't going to be on the move a lot, probably not worth the lost space, just get a small trailer for the cycles.

If you can find a long term site, you could save a lot by skipping the truck.

What are the specs on your current truck? You can usually pull a lot more travel trailer with a 1/2 ton than you can 5th wheel.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no difference between renting and full timing in an RV. They are both an equity losing position. Buying a house is generally considered a safer investment, but being short term, it may or may not be. And certainly maintenance, care, upkeep and unexpected expenses are a factor.

If it was me, I'd rather rent. It's much more comfortable and a lot less likely to leave you stranded (no heat, no water, no whatever,...big expense to fix). Save the RV for when you get to the better destination down the road. Just My Opinion.

* This post was edited 01/08/18 06:55am by troubledwaters *

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once your spouse gets a job as a NP-how much time do you realistically think you will have to use an RV?

Reliable internet will be important. From my experience you should not rely on a campground connection. Cable to a house or apartment is much more reliable and has faster speeds.

I have a friend doing a NP program on line here in NM. She needs quiet, uninterrupted time, and desk space. I am not sure if even a large 5er will have a quiet, stable, work space free of distractions, especially if you are trying to cook a meal, tend to dogs, etc while she is trying to study/concentrate.

Buy a house. If you loose some on the resale, it will not be as much as you will loose on the resale of a big 5er and truck.

One more thought: Do not limit your job search. Look into State Department/UN/Overseas construction company (Haliburton/Brown&Root/etc) positions overseas. State Dept. uses NP in many of the embassies and the pay, benefits, life style is great. I was on embassy duty, and while some places are harder than others, they are all pretty good living. UN and Construction Companies can give great pay but some of the locales are remote.

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to check out Private RV parks near where you will be working/studying.. Many of them offer LONG TERM parking.. IF you move into a TRAILER, Well there are basically two issues with Trailers and long term parking.

1: Tires may need replacement (though 2 years I don't think so) and insect infestation.. Insects do not get into RV's that move all the time. But can with long term parking. (I found out the hard way) Well that is SOME (Crawlers) do not get in.

Wheel bearings may need repacking and jacks lubrication before you move (Routine maintenance, not and issue).

Now: Are you Insane?

The answer is yes. but there is Insane and INSANE. one is good, (The way you and I are) the other.. Well ... California is not Insane in the bad way.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

kohai

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Realize you're asking about RVs on an RV site and you are going to get pro-RV answers. [emoticon]

RV's go down in value and are tiny. Houses take 2-5 years to recover your closing costs.

Rent a place. That gives you the most flexibility with the least commitment.

2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote for the camper scenario. But I'm biased too! Get it now and put the house up for sale immediately!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Are we insane?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS