Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Are we insane?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Are we insane?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Um ... "insane?" You live in California ... I think your are probably in the middle of the "Bell Curve." [emoticon]

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on how much you like living in an RV. They are small. It is like living on a boat. You trade the lack of space for the coolness factor and mobility. Plan to get rid of a lot of stuff and put the rest in storage. My brother lives in a motor home on his property. He house sits for people and relishes all the room and convenice of a regular house even it just for a few weeks.

For a short term stay in CA of 2-3 in a hot real estate market, the other good idea would be to buy a house that needs some work, and plan on doing some sweat equity by fixing it up. You would be flipping the house, and make some money for the next RV.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I glanced at your post but quickly quit because it's just too long. Try editing some.

Jayco-noslide

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned 3 homes over 20 years in the generally stable Dallas market. I've spent the last 20 years renting apartments and I have been very happy to watch other people take care of the yard, the AC, the roof, the insurance, the taxes, yada, yada, yada. I've also saved enough money with my college degree to retire at 62.

When times are good people tell the world how stupid renters are to be throwing away their money. When the recession comes and housing prices crash you don't hear that song as much. When you own real estate you always have to pay the taxes, the insurance, the repairs, and when termites bloom in Spring (like they did for me 20 years ago) you'll think "How do I get out of this nightmare?"

Meanwhile, back to your main area of interest, you need to decide:

1 - Are you trying to live as cheaply as possible?
or
2 - Do you want to travel around in an RV?

You can live very cheap if you buy a used trailer with no tow vehicle and pay someone with a truck to tow it to a mobile home park where you lease long-term. If, on the other hand, you want to travel around in your RV life gets much more expensive. It's your choice.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better get a large trailer , 2 adults , 2 small dogs , a cat and two HOGS !

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another advantage to the RV decision....

House I had went up and up and down in value. You see the neighborhood went to POT (yes that kind and the othe kind as well) House next door had a drive by and was later fire bombed. so property values got flushed.

Now with the motor home.. I get in a neighborhood like that.. Push a few puttons. Turn a key, PUll a lever, Push a pedal and I'm outta there.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

miles999

Central Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once your spouse gets a job as a NP-how much time do you realistically think you will have to use an RV? Long term, yes, in the first couple of years after relocating, probably not as much as we would like.

Reliable internet will be important. From my experience you should not rely on a campground connection. Cable to a house or apartment is much more reliable and has faster speeds. This is a very big concern for us which is probably our biggest con for the next two years.

I have a friend doing a NP program on line here in NM. She needs quiet, uninterrupted time, and desk space. I am not sure if even a large 5er will have a quiet, stable, work space free of distractions, especially if you are trying to cook a meal, tend to dogs, etc while she is trying to study/concentrate. A very valid point!

Buy a house. If you loose some on the resale, it will not be as much as you will loose on the resale of a big 5er and truck.Not worried about the truck as much if we can go non dually, if dually, yeah not very practical driving a dually on a daily basis if it's not pulling.

One more thought: Do not limit your job search. Look into State Department/UN/Overseas construction company (Haliburton/Brown&Root/etc) positions overseas. State Dept. uses NP in many of the embassies and the pay, benefits, life style is great. I was on embassy duty, and while some places are harder than others, they are all pretty good living. UN and Construction Companies can give great pay but some of the locales are remote. Had not thought of that, thanks for the tip!

miles999

Central Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted so far, as a group you have been providing relevant info and given us some additional factors to consider.

I do realize that we are asking RV folks for advice which may tilt in favor of the RV lifestyle; that is a given. But what we do know is that in our experiences with other RV folks in the past as a whole they will not hold back and provide you with the realities of choosing the lifestyle; this was our intent to solicit frank and honest feedback.

Thank you to all!

ol' yeller

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I polled everyone else here in the asylum and we unanimously decided you are not insane. Good Luck in your adventure!

2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A Class C
Oh yeah, the wife & Beagle come along too!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

....So our scenario has us determining if: we should purchase a home knowing it will be back on the market in two to three years, rent a house, or go ahead now and jump into full time RV’ing....

Buy a house.

California real estate is back selling above list price with bidding wars and will continue to do so for 10 years+. Real estate market is cyclical we just had the crash and now it's on the rise and will stay there.
*THIS is an investment.

Buying an RV. Same as renting you will be eating up all your savings and monthly income as long as you stay and/or travel in an RV. The term Full Time RV'ing is traveling in an RV. Is sounds like you just want to 'live' in an RV.
*THIS is NOT an investment.

You don't just 'jump' into Full Timing 'RV'ing'. You plan and save for it period. And usually as a retirement choice not 'living' in an RV.

That's just the facts without coloring it with 'the allure of being free in an RV'. Because it is nothing further than the truth. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Are we insane?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS