cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Cart or A G M 12 volt Batteries

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
bought a diesel pusher and wonder what the best type of battery to put in it 12 volt age or golf cart batteries,
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
22 REPLIES 22

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:

Whatever you decide go 6 volt...

6 volt AGM so no watering 1300 bucks
6 volt lead acid if you want to do maintenance. 600 bucks
I would do that if it weren't for the fact I can get two 12v 200ah lithium ion batteries, complete with on-board battery monitors, for about $1.4K. Read it and weep, I'm just the messenger.

Sorry for being redundant.

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
AlaskaShooter wrote:
Another option to consider if you have heavily fertilized and watered your orchard of money trees. New battery technology. Prices will hopefully drop over time.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/

Light weight and lots of grunt.
Or just get the batteries from China.

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be using materials mostly obtained from China (helps to be near a port city) because all the stuff comes from there, anyway. I can get 500 watts of solar panels at 36V for $100 plus shipping. Charge controller from there, too. I can get two 12V 100ah li-ion batteries for $1000. *Two.* No brainers, really.

Yeah, yeah I know, buy American, American workers. No. Just no. I have made many decisions with those two things in mind, but at my age and income level, I no longer have the choice of doing that and frankly, considerations I must not utter, here, leave me apathetic about all that. I'm doing what's best for my family, and it's not open to debate. Besides, where do you think Renogy gets THEIR panels?

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Another option to consider if you have heavily fertilized and watered your orchard of money trees. New battery technology. Prices will hopefully drop over time.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/

Light weight and lots of grunt.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
OP - Thanks for serving - twice!!!

No right or wrong answer here, just options:)!

If you do not feel you'll be off Shore Power much of the time, say 20-30% or less as an example. And are frugal on power usage, the you could start out with two four batteries to start. See how things go. As mentioned by others, wet cell batteries, GC2 6V, larger 12V, with a dab of mineral oil or a watering system where you just easily squeeze a turkey baster ball to top off all cells - would be an inexpensive way to go. If you want the added safety of having more reserve power, you could go with 6 batteries to start with and be done with it.

-Three pairs of Sams or Costco 6V wet cells would be the economic way to go
-Bump up price some to a Trojan or Crown battery, and you should see a bit more overall AH's in the bank, and a potentially a longer lasting battery
-Bump up to larger size (Taller, but same footprint, and you again add to the price and also to the total AH's in the bank. For example, if you have the head room in the battery bay, Trojan have the T-125's and T-145's, which add AH's tp their conventional GC2 T-105 battery

-If you don't want to bother with any maintenance concerns at all, and don't mind spending some more money. You could go to AGM.As mentioned, in the 6V GC2 config. Or you could go to 12V 8D's, and probably get three into the same space that X's 6 GC2's will fit. The do charge a bit faster, so if you do start boon docking more, you will have faster recharge times via generator with AGM's.

So, really you're in the driver's seat. And if your batteries are say midlife, you might look into conditioning/equalizing them, and then having the load tested, to see if they still have some life ahead for you. If so, then you could go get some usage with the coach, and see what you feel your battery energy needs are. This could help you make your decision between all of the options.

Can be a PITA, with lost of opinions on Wet vs AGM vs now Lithium:)! And this gang, myself included, are more then willing to help you spend your money:)!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I might try that. I'll give it a couple of months and see how much water I have to add. I've got a smart 4 stage charger.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
timjet wrote:
2 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series will give you about 210 AH and cost about $170. 2 12 volt AGM's connected in parallel will give about the same AH and cost about $600.
AGM's are maintenance free, golf cart batteries are not.

I'm switching my house batts from AGM's to golf cart batts.

What maintenance?

I put a little mineral oil in each cell in my batteries 3 years ago when I bought them, the levels are still at the same level today.

Itโ€™s plugged in 24/7/365 when not on the road.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
timjet wrote:
2 12 volt AGM's connected in parallel will give about the same AH and cost about $600.

No doubt AGMs will cost more; they ARE better.

That's the price my RV dealer tried to give me......from NAPA.

Found the same batteries from an independent battery dealer at $400 a pair. Quite a difference.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
2 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series will give you about 210 AH and cost about $170. 2 12 volt AGM's connected in parallel will give about the same AH and cost about $600.
AGM's are maintenance free, golf cart batteries are not.

I'm switching my house batts from AGM's to golf cart batts.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, better to separate this into several questions:

Start vs Deep cycle

Battery technology (wet vs AGM)

6 VDC wired in series vs 12 VDC
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
They do make 6V AGM golf cart batteries ((Trojan T105-AGM) and 12V AGM golf cart batteries ((Trojan T1275-AGM)

Both are more expensive than conventional flooded (wet) cell golf cart batteries. Two 6V golf cart batteries will always store more energy than on 12V golf cart battery.

A quick and dirty way to compare battery capacities is just check their weight. Two 6V golf cart batteries weights about 140 lbs. One 12V golf cart battery weights about 81 lbs.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your post begs a question. Your coach has two battery banks. You will have two TWELVE VDC batteries that start the coach. Your house system will have anywhere from 4-6 SIX VDC batteries. DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO. You asked which you should buy, AGM or Golf Cart. AGM batteries come in both 12VDC and 6VDC configurations. AGMs are way more expensive but they are maintenance free and as pointed out, can be mounted any way you choose. GC2, Golf car batteries, 6VDC have to be mounted with caps up and need to be checked periodically to ensure the water levels are correct. Personally, I bought mine at Sams Club for about $100ea. I put a teaspoon of mineral oil in each one and found I've never needed to top them off....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chassis batteries are Starting Type. does not matter if Flooded wet, Maintenance Free or AGM.. They need to provide a lot of peak amps (As compared to capacity) for a short time

HOUSE you need a lot of capacity (AMP-HOURS) as opposed to peak amps.

Now folks claim all sorts of advantages for AGM.. With one and possibly 2 exceptions I have not found those claims to be valid. The exceptions:

1: No "This side up" sticker.. You can mount them on their side, on end, however you wish.

2: Very very low gasing (If you are using them INSIDE the living area)

In the specific case of LIFELINE AGM (not other brands) Faster recharge IF and only IF you have a converter or other charger able to ship the amps (Most do not).

And they have one big di$advantage.. CO$T.. Way more expensive

Thus for the house I recommend GC-2's
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Northstar 850 truck camper and the batteries are stored inside the camper under the seat of the dinette. This installation requires the 12 volt wet cell batteries be stored in cases that are vented to the outside of the camper. I will be going to 12 volt AGM batteries for safety sake as venting from two enclosed cases is a real pain to open the cases for maintenance purposes.