Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New BAtteries Won' Charge

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
I am glad to be back. I missed all of you. Not all at one time though...
Situation: I have replaced my two house batteries and the chassis battery, but I can't get them to charge on shore power. they are hooked-up correctly, shore power was off while I was working on them and the Wizard electronic brain says it is in "boost" mode.
Even my little Battery Tender for the chassis battery is blinking green quickly.

1997 Ford Fleetwood Southwind Storm
thank you for any help!
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari
19 REPLIES 19

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
haha! I Googled "Battery Circuit Breaker" and got a video of a guy replacing one. I had no clue what those little things were. but yes there is s TINY little black button on the end of each. I've reset two and now back on shore power for their battery charge I hope. The chassis battery tender is still blinking green rapidly. still won't charge I think. more mystery.
thank you Richard and all the rest of you guys

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked for proper function all the fuses and circuit breakers I can find. I found my RV's version of the BCC and enclosed pics of all.
Where is this elusive hard to see circuit breaker in the BCC? All breakers in house box and the 12v fuses next to them are fine. All fuses under the front dash are OK (radio, A/c fan, etc).
I would post pics, but this site does not seem to be photo friendly

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
Aha! I believe I have found the battery control center beast. It is not a "center" in a box on my 1996 model chassis, but scattered around on the firewall in front of the engine. Awkwardly placed for a 6' guy. Up high, so stooping and squinting are necessary.
I will have to check the circuit breakers/fuses.
I found this little blog that has been some help to me:BCC Blog

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I have the chassis battery and house batteries secured to the frame at same bolt as delivered. I've moved the battery tender away to a separate screw. Where is the BCC?
What does it look like? As silver box under the refrigerator, a black panel in front of the engine?

edited for another question

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
wildmanbaker wrote:
I believe Jerry has the answer. I believe the converter output goes directly to the house batteries. The only fuses are on the output of the converter, before it goes to the house batteries.

On the OPs MH, the converter output does not go directly to the batterys. The converter output goes to the fuse panel beside the circuit breakers, inside the coach. Then 2 wires, from the fuse panel, goto 2 resetable circuit breakers in the BCC. Check the circuit breakers in the BCC. The may be tripped. You will have to look closely, the resets are on the end of the breakers and hard to see.

Richard

Thank you I have learned something today about older Fleetwoods.
Jim
Wildmanbaker

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the detailed diagnostic suggestions! I will check all the above.
The RV is parked in the driveway, so no road emergency. Its been raining for days here and looks like more days of rain, so I will have to wait to work on this thing.
I WAS wondering where the battery circuit breakers were.
BTW, I replaced the 2 highly rated original house batteries with exactly the same make/model/voltage.
The original chassis battery was a Walmart Everstart dated 8/2010. Maybe a new record for those cheapo's.
Thanks again and I will let you know status!

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Mustang gt do you still have a problem ?
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
1 on your dash you have button that connects both battery s when pushed
2 should here a click
3 if no click start the rv and try the button again
4 should have 13.8 from the alt. To both battery s
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had some deeply discharged batteries where the voltage was too low for the charger to recognize. The solution for this is to use jumper cables and a good battery to get things started.

MrWizard
Everytime someone comes to me with this problem
The first thing i ask, are the new batteries the same as the old
Did you replace 6v with 12v or vise versa
The next thing i look for is a dropped wire

Check the voltage at the converter
If it's 13.8 or higher, 14+ is better
Start looking for loose or missing connections

Do not assume blinking lights mean something is working
Use a meter and check the voltage
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
I believe Jerry has the answer. I believe the converter output goes directly to the house batteries. The only fuses are on the output of the converter, before it goes to the house batteries.

On the OPs MH, the converter output does not go directly to the batterys. The converter output goes to the fuse panel beside the circuit breakers, inside the coach. Then 2 wires, from the fuse panel, goto 2 resetable circuit breakers in the BCC. Check the circuit breakers in the BCC. The may be tripped. You will have to look closely, the resets are on the end of the breakers and hard to see.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wildmanbaker

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Your rig has a box called BBC battery control box. Its under the hood everything goes to that box. Converter batterys gen.there are 2 charging relays inside
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
The ground for your battery is connected at the frame with a nut and bolt.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar