Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question about knee replacement for those that have one.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Question about knee replacement for those that have one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to have a knee replaced tomorrow. Thought of a question for those who have had this done.

How much strength did you lose after surgery? I asked the Head nurse and she says it varies with the patient. But then she has never had one replaced. Just curious what to expect because I will be having the other knee done 6-8 weeks after the first one. Getting kind of nervous. Thanks, John

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 187,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't answer your question but good luck tomorrow.

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 27 Lifelines
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of friends that had replacements, they said that the pain was pretty bad, but the more they walked and exercised it the better it go. I had one that had BOTH replaced at the same time and he stated he really messed up doing that and would not recommend it to anyone. Good Luck with the Replacement and I hope it heals quickly and you can get back to a normal life.Good Luck and Happy Camping

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

grizz272

frozen tundra, WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both knees replaced. Use your meds as the Dr says. When it comes to PT, if you do it right it will hurt take the pain meds 20 minutes before you start the PT. The noise your knee will make during PT real interesting and can feel really strange. Popping, snapping and a lot of other noises. This is normal. Strength loss is not bad in the muscles. The joint on the other hand is quite a bit. How ever part of the reason for the PT is to get the strength back. The strength will come back fairly quickly. DO YOUR PT. NO PAIN NO GAIN.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. Will be leaving the house shortly, got a whole 30 minutes of sleep last night. Guess I am more nervous than I thought. It has to be better than the way it is now. Ready to get it done and go camping!!! LOL

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you won't read this for a few days. I've had both done. I am 75 and the last one was 11 months ago. How well you do is based on how hard you work. I hope you started the strengthening ahead of time. It was important to me. I am still recovering from the last one. Complete recovery takes time, especially at 75.

I was very fortunate with my first replacement because I had to recover two years prior from ACL surgery and my left knee was very strong from the work I had done for that.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one of mine replaced at age 75, five years ago and here is my take and thoughts:

If I had to do it again, I would have done it fifteen or twenty years before I did. That is how long I lived with the pain prior to it.
Right now it is as if I was a kid again on it.

First are you in good shape ?
Are you over weight ?
Are you sedentary?
If you answered Yes, No, No, then I don't think you will have any problem.

In my case, I raced canoes and kayaks and my goal was to get back into a canoe, (which is easier then a kayak) in a month. I was back in a kayak two weeks after the replacement
The first couple of days are the hardest after the operation with the nights being the worst.
The therapy is the key to a quick recovery. Do exactly as they tell you and don't baby yourself. My surgeon told me to do as I could tolerate, so I challenged myself.
on day two I was walking a short distance with a cane. On day three I was walking a hundred yards just carrying a cane, but not using it.
Every day I increased the distance I was walking.

Lastly during therapy, it was the ones who could answer "yes, no, No"(above) who left each day with a smile on their face while the others were not happy campers.

Good luck
Jack L

Jack & Nanci

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best thing I have done. No more pain, but the recovery was painful. I had heard all kinds of stories about what you could and couldn't do, well I haven't found anything I cant do. Do the therpty. The stronger the muscles are the better. Sometimes I forget that I had a knee replacement

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had both done at the same time. It was hell for a few months! One thing I didn’t know you had better carry a foam pad or knee pads because you’ll need them if you ever want to get down on your knees again.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

Had both done at the same time. It was hell for a few months! One thing I didn’t know you had better carry a foam pad or knee pads because you’ll need them if you ever want to get down on your knees again.

True or not, my doctor told me that the chance of a fatal blood is quadrupled by having both knees done at once. I planned to get the second one done asap after the first one healed.

I actually began taking glucosamine and chondroitin a few months before my first replacement and it did have a positive effect. It allowing me to go 5 more years before having to get the other one done.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Question about knee replacement for those that have one.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS