Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: propane grill safe distance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> propane grill safe distance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wski

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would never attach a grill to an RV. The chances of something going wrong increase exponentially. If you want to use your onboard propane to grill with, buy an extender hose and modify your portable grill.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think with a large heat guard you could get within a foot. I have a stove mounted only a few inch's with a heat guard. Consider flare ups.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four postage stamp size same color as vehicle VELCRO ?

FIBERGLASS MAT with complimentary Velcro swatches ?

SaltiDawg

MD suburbs of DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I am currently trying to figure out how to politely tell a brainiac SIL that their second story wooden deck is not the best place for the propane grill...

What say you about a elevated first floor deck?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flooring ceramic tile carefully laid out could work as a base but the sharp juttings would be a pain.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not really the same thing, I know, but I use and have been happy with this little folding table for my tabletop grill on the road. It takes maybe two minutes to set up, if that. The top slats are aluminum (albeit with some plastic grommets and elastic shock cords), so it can take some heat without too much danger, though I would not build a fire on it directly.

Anyhow, I think the 10" distance is the one to be the most concerned about. The ten feet from the house requirement is probably more driven by fear of carbon monoxide poisoning than fire safety. Obviously one should avoid (both for comfort and safety) having windows etc. open on the RV that would draw fumes in from the grill, but that's not too hard to accomplish.

Housted

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use an old Coleman stove stand with an extender hose for my portable gas grill.
Has worked great with 2 different bbq's. You can still find the old stands on ebay.

Housted

2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 CTD Tow Rig Integrated ball with Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th - Ground Control 4 Point Leveling System
Too many mods to Truck and trailer to list.
Pictures

BurbMan

Back on Long Island!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10" for the heat, 10' for the smoke and CO.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SaltiDawg wrote:

bucky wrote:

I am currently trying to figure out how to politely tell a brainiac SIL that their second story wooden deck is not the best place for the propane grill...

What say you about a elevated first floor deck?

Same thing unless you have a steel cable attached to it so that you can drag it off of there from a safe distance if the hose ruptures. Or a good sized fire extinguisher that will work. It happened to my FIL. The small hose to the side burner ruptured while in use.
Why do you think condos, hotels, and apartments ban the use of grills on balconys?

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule ever did.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

10" for the heat, 10' for the smoke and CO.

Agree totally ... love the smell of steak grilling but not when it lingers 2 days later inside the camper. [emoticon] No way I'd ever attach my Weber Q to the trailer, I always park it on the campsite picnic table well away from the camper where greasy smoke & odour won't penetrate to the interior of the camper. [emoticon]

[image]

My Freedom Express came with a grill that pulls out from the side of the trailer which is the dumbest idea on the planet considering it's a grill. [emoticon] I immediately replaced it with a stand alone Coleman camp stove that doesn't introduce any smells into the camper. [emoticon]

I see new Freedom Express trailers still come equipped with this dumb as rocks grill. [emoticon] [emoticon]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> propane grill safe distance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS