Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: propane grill safe distance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > propane grill safe distance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Bunn NC

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 01/11/18 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SaltiDawg wrote:

So you think it is unlawful to have a grill on a wooden patio deck?

Do you or yours smoke?

Do you use a range with an exhaust hood?

Do you store gasoline or propane in the garage?

Do you have any firearms in the house?

There are literally dozens if not hundreds of other items that when introduced to a home create risk.

To extend concerns re a grill mounted on a motorhome to a grill on on brick and mortar home's wooden deck is a real reach. A risk, yes, but not changing your smoke detector batteries is also a risk.


I never said that is was unlawful, just unsafe.
We don't smoke.
No hood.
No gas or propane in the garage. Sheds are for that.
I'll never tell but NC is a shall issue state.
My grille is safely OFF of my deck. I guess you DC boys deep fry your Thanksgiving turkeys in your garage because there is a fire house nearby?
Your right to do whatever, have a nice day.[emoticon]


2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule ever did.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/11/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

I see new Freedom Express trailers still come equipped with this dumb as rocks grill. [emoticon] [emoticon]


babock wrote:

Mine doesn't but the older models did.


Not true ... the outside Coleman stove is and always has been an option on most Freedom Express models, including the 192RBS. My own dealer always orders his lot models with the grill, this 2018 Freedom Express 192RBS being an example. I have no beef with the pull out concept, I use mine all the time with a stove, BUT Coachmen should supply a 2-burner stove not a grill that because it is a grill introduces greasy cooking smells into the camper. [emoticon] After all these years Coachmen either still hasn't figured this out OR the grill is a sales pitch to those who haven't given any real thought to how impractical a grill is in this location. [emoticon] The grill that came with my own 192RBS is still brand new, stored upstairs in one of the bedroom closets where it will remain 'til the day we sell or trade the camper. [emoticon]


2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4


wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/18 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following is a joke....(just in case anyone is humor impaired)

But have you seen the commercial for the George Foreman Grill.. The one where "You don't need a turkey"

I'd say about 1 mile is a safe distance from The Gas Grill in that ad [emoticon].


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


babock

Los Angeles, CA

Full Member

Joined: 12/18/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Not true ... the outside Coleman stove is and always has been an option on most Freedom Express models, including the 192RBS.
Not on ours which is the 233RBS.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/18 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Not true ... the outside Coleman stove is and always has been an option on most Freedom Express models, including the 192RBS.


babock wrote:

Not on ours which is the 233RBS.


I said "most" Freedom Express models ... for the 192RBS and many other FE models that pull out grill remains a dealer ordered option. The reason yours doesn't offer this option is because it's a double slide trailer and the one on the campsite side makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill / stove. Regardless, the 233RBS is now a "dealer stock only" model, meaning it's no longer produced and is being discontinued so your argument is moot anyway. [emoticon]

2012Coleman

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2012

View Profile






Posted: 01/12/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SaltiDawg wrote:

bucky wrote:

...
I am currently trying to figure out how to politely tell a brainiac SIL that their second story wooden deck is not the best place for the propane grill...

What say you about a elevated first floor deck?
I used my Weber propane grill on the top level of my 2 level deck for years. I'm not quite sure what makes this so dangerous. Now, I wouldn't put my fire pit on the deck - but a propane grill? [emoticon]

My TT came with a bumper mounted grill - it struggled to cook hot dogs. I took it off - tried to give it away. No takers.

* This post was edited 01/12/18 11:16am by 2012Coleman *


Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

babock

Los Angeles, CA

Full Member

Joined: 12/18/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

The reason yours doesn't offer this option is because it's a double slide trailer and the one on the campsite side makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill / stove.
Yes, you are probably right. We looked at so many trailers you begin to lose track. Probably was a 192rbs that we saw it on before we crossed that trailer off our list.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

The reason yours doesn't offer this option is because it's a double slide trailer and the one on the campsite side makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill / stove.


babock wrote:

Yes, you are probably right. We looked at so many trailers you begin to lose track. Probably was a 192rbs that we saw it on before we crossed that trailer off our list.


No question, the 192RBS isn't for everyone but it has proven to be one of Coachmen's most popular Freedom Express models. [emoticon] It's unfortunate Coachmen has decided to discontinue your 233RBS model as it obviously appeals to some, just not enough I guess to continue with it. My guess it's because the double slides severely limit interior access when retracted in the travel position, which as mentioned also makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill or stove on the campsite side of the trailer.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

Full Member

Joined: 12/18/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/13/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told it was a cost issue since they weren't making enough profit off it. 2 slides are expensive.

The dealer I bought it from was disappointed they were stopping since he sold a zillion of them. Sold more of them than the 192rbs. Apparently people don't like the folding table in front of the couch concept.

It's a perfect length since you get the volume of a much longer trailer yet it's 24'11" and fits in the 25' spots you see a lot of in state and national parks.

rrupert

NW PA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/13/18 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TundraTower wrote:

One of my winter projects is to design and fabricate an arm to carry a small SST propane grill on the back of our travel trailer. This arm will fold down and pivot to enable using the grill without removing it from the mount.

The new grill instructions say to keep it 10 feet from a building and 10 inches from combustible surfaces. Frankly I don't quite know what to do with that information.

Does anyone know the required, safe, or recommended distance to maintain between the grill and the trailer???

Thanks.


Maybe we can get back to giving this person some more advice. My advice is to safely use a gas grill is to have a safe distance from anything combustible. I've seen some good flair-ups in gas grills that would have scared me had they been close to my TT.


Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > propane grill safe distance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS