Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What size and type RV do you use to full-time?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What size and type RV do you use to full-time?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Aridon

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you want to do with it?

If you're a vagabond that wants to sleep on the streets of major cities then smaller is better.

If you're insistent on avoiding any campground at all costs then smaller is better.

If you're insistent on being an off road warrior, smaller is generally better.

If you're the kind of camper that continually is in and out of state parks, smaller is probably better.

Aside from being an outlier above, in general, floor plan is by far the most important thing. We've been in 26ft TT, 43ft DP and a 45ft Fifth wheel, never had a size issue. I think in 10 years out FT we had one or two instances where the park we wanted to stay at couldn't fit us. That includes state parks. In every case there were other parks more or less a mile or two away that fit the bill.

So size was never an issue for us. We aren't allergic to commercial campgrounds and we do our boon docking while traveling like the rest of the RV folk. No issues.

2019 Grand Design Momentum 395

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/18 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aridon wrote:

If you're a vagabond that wants to sleep on the streets of major cities then smaller is better.

If you're insistent on avoiding any campground at all costs then smaller is better.

If you're the kind of camper that continually is in and out of state parks, smaller is probably better.

Aside from being an outlier above, in general, floor plan is by far the most important thing. We've been in 26ft TT, 43ft DP and a 45ft Fifth wheel, never had a size issue. I think in 10 years out FT we had one or two instances where the park we wanted to stay at couldn't fit us. That includes state parks. In every case there were other parks more or less a mile or two away that fit the bill.

So size was never an issue for us. We aren't allergic to commercial campgrounds and we do our boon docking while traveling like the rest of the RV folk. No issues.

You couldn't of said it any better. Everyone has a different way of doing things, including camping or full timing.

I am not full time but I have owned and camp in for days in a non slide 26 foot travel trailer, 35 foot fifth wheel with three slides and a truck camper with one slide. I hated every one of them. I will never buy another camper with a slide. Warmest and the easiest to cool was the travel trailer without any slides. Easiest to travel with and move around everyday was the truck camper.

Truck camper without a slide or a DIY cargo van is the best for a traveler/full timer moving every day or up to every four to five days. I could not stay in one place any longer than five days. Change would be calling me in two days but I could stretch it too 5 days if the scenery was there.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/18 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aridon wrote:

Aside from being an outlier above, in general, floor plan is by far the most important thing.

Agreed on all points. Too broad question.

To add,
If you're seasonal, staying put for months - get a big TT or 5-er with slides, rather than class A. More room, less money. It feels better with slides, they add a dimension, not just a few square feet of space. Yes, could be colder with slides, so your climate zone is another unspecified variable.

Also, - how many people.
IMO, TT or 5-er under 26ft is a bit small for 2. If you never lived in RV before, or didn't stay for more than a weekend, then practical experience is the best way. Rent something, to see better what your needs are.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/18 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My original question at the start of this thread was:

What size and type RV do you use to full-time?

I wasn't asking what should I get. I just want to see how others are full-timing and that can help me to better decide. Seems like a reasonable question to me.

Almot wrote:

Agreed on all points. Too broad question.

To add,
If you're seasonal, staying put for months - get a big TT or 5-er with slides, rather than class A. More room, less money. It feels better with slides, they add a dimension, not just a few square feet of space. Yes, could be colder with slides, so your climate zone is another unspecified variable.

Also, - how many people.
IMO, TT or 5-er under 26ft is a bit small for 2. If you never lived in RV before, or didn't stay for more than a weekend, then practical experience is the best way. Rent something, to see better what your needs are.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/18 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious what the purpose of the thread was - if it was not to help decide what rig to get.
Advantages, disadvantages and the very type of rig depend on user's particular situation. Otherwise, it's too broad a topic.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/18 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

I'm curious what the purpose of the thread was - if it was not to help decide what rig to get.

Quote:

I am leaning towards a Class A about 35 feet long. I'd like to go a little larger, but there are several well-known advantages to going a little shorter, too.

I'm curious why you care. Is it wrong to collect information before I make a decision?

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the purpose of collecting information, I guess.

To answer your question - what rigs people full-time in - anything from truck camper and up. Doesn't help much, does it...

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/18 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full time in a 32’ 5er in our signature, just our second 5er, but learned our lessons in our first! We have a good amount of storage even with a smaller basement. We are nine months into retirement and loving it.
We are just finishing three months of hosting at an Oregon Coast Park, maybe 50’ from the Pacific had high surf, high winds and loved every minute of it!!!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 308,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve, ignore the noise makers. Some folks like telling folks that they are not doing things right (they way they would do it).
I understand your question and there are "some" very good responses to help you with your poll.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/18 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

nodepositnoreturn wrote:

You may want to think about getting what my wife and I use currently,a Lance truck camper, talk about getting into remote places! I remember going down a fire road on the north rim of the Grand Canyon and backing up to a place called marble canyon if I remember correctly. 10 feet out my back door we had the entire view of the canyon. For free. Many similar trips like that. you’ll need a stout 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Lee's Ferry National Park campground is in Marble Canyon right on the Colorado River and can accommodate a 40' RV. We've been there.
That is a great area did you ever fish there? I caught more trout in one trip that I normally catch in a year. The trip from the dam downstream is beautiful.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What size and type RV do you use to full-time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS