Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Slides with cables
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides with cables

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Can cable slides be partially opened and closed vs Schwintek type that need to be fully opened and closed so as to not get out of sync?
Yes, no problems.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Schwintek is at the bottom of the list from everything I have heard about it. We have two LR hydraulic slides and bedroom has the cable system. No problems to date. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have seen 2 lemon law enforcements about cable operated slides on a TT. That co. was out of business quick.
I would be hesitant about a cable system, as they do require pulleys, cables stretch,fray, do not always level wind.
Look at pop ups that necessarily use cables. Most last for many years with no trouble, however when there is a problem it renders the unit unuseable as there is usually no way to open it any other way
Hyd., rack & pinion, geared slides can be moved even without the motor working.

wrgrs50s

Scurry, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2012 Sundance with a closet slide and no problems at all. Most problems I've heard of have been on those with the larger slides, and or improper installation of the pulley's from the factory. I know there were some bad gearboxes that were stripping out the plastic gears earlier, but that was corrected on the recent models.

Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

4bearhug

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a couple of friends who have had a number of problems with their cable operated slides. Both units are Keystone products, Montana and Cougar.

RV companies look for product innovations that will sell more units and cost reductions that will make more profit. I would say that moving from hydraulics to cable for slide operation definitely falls on the cost reduction side. I would be curious to know how many of the higher end models have switched to cable slides.

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been a fulltimer for 7 years and 3 Montana's and Never had a problem with my cable operated slide in the bedroom, my big slides are hydraulic and never had a problem with those either but you HAVE to do maintenance on all of these KEEP THEM LUBED Folks and you should not have problems

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 GMC 3500 LBZ Duramax Dually

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 15ft living room slide is a cable slide. My unit is 25 years old and no problems. I check the tension every year or so, but have not needed to adjusted the tension for 10+ years.

The only problem I ever had was a rat eating through the 12V power cable to the control unit. I had to use a jumper cable and battery to the motor to get the slide in and then trace down and replace the chewed wiring. I could have hand cranked the slide in but the battery was an easy work around.

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have seen some cable systems on upper end rigs as well.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO cable slides, the BAL Accuslide actually, is a fairly bulletproof system. Other than the occaisonal parts failure like a drive motor etc, issues with the operation and cables/pulleys can usually be traced back to an improper original installation at the factory. No surprises there if you've ever been in a factory, and watched how they are slapped together. Just the fact its a BAL Norco product and not Lippert is a huge plus IMO. Especially if you ever need to buy replacement parts. Lippert will soak you good for replacement parts, if they even have them available.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years of use on our Schwintek and never had an out of sync issue by not running slides fully out. Have to do partial extensions a lot with our peninsula kitchen to access the microwave for lunch in a Walmart lot. The controllers reset themselves every time they sense the higher current draw of reaching either end of travel. I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the Schwintek design and the fact that it so securely locks the slide in place going down the road, top and bottom compared to systems that apply all force along the bottom of the slide and leave the top of the slide to wiggle in and out going down the road. They do require regular lubrication but there are plenty of Youtube videos showing how and once you see what needs to be done, it's very simple. I'll let you know if my opinion changes if a motor dies but so far so good.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides with cables
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS