Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Slides with cables
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides with cables

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Bob Sue

Farmington,Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to the BAL ascu slide home page. They have a video showing how they work, and it helps you understand what is going on. With proper mint and awareness of what to look for, I feel this has helped me avoid problems. As old guy states, wearing of grommets, the cables need to be at 90 deg to the slide and wall side so they don't drag or scrape as they are being operated.

Bob&Sue
2013 Open Range Roamer 5th
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Years of use on our Schwintek and never had an out of sync issue by not running slides fully out. Have to do partial extensions a lot with our peninsula kitchen to access the microwave for lunch in a Walmart lot. The controllers reset themselves every time they sense the higher current draw of reaching either end of travel. I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the Schwintek design and the fact that it so securely locks the slide in place going down the road, top and bottom compared to systems that apply all force along the bottom of the slide and leave the top of the slide to wiggle in and out going down the road. They do require regular lubrication but there are plenty of Youtube videos showing how and once you see what needs to be done, it's very simple. I'll let you know if my opinion changes if a motor dies but so far so good.

I have a friend with an Elite Suites and he has had motor problems.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the cables and slide are properly installed and adjusted they will last a very long time. Read the install manuals to assure that everything was proper. I have seen at several RV shows and dealers where the slide adjustment was marginal and begging for failure. So be ware.....

sk734

AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the answers. Looked at utube and adjustments do not seem to difficult if motors are easily accessed.

Firelime

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 3 cable slides in our Cougar. We have a lot of problems with our kitchen slide. It seems to be too heavy even unloaded. We have lost the motor and striped the gears in the transmission. Part of the problem seems to be that they used a solid Teflon bar for the slide to sit on; the other 2 slides have rollers under them and have no problem. I routinely clean off the bottom of the slide and use ptfe or other drylube on it to help it slide easier. We also have to assist the motor in extending or retracting the slide by pushing on the slide.

2015 Silverado 3500HD Duramax LTZ Z71
2016 Keystone Cougar 337FLS, Trimetric 2030, SC 2030, 160 watts.
Curt Q20 w/R20

sk734

AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Firelime wrote:

We have 3 cable slides in our Cougar. We have a lot of problems with our kitchen slide. It seems to be too heavy even unloaded. We have lost the motor and striped the gears in the transmission. Part of the problem seems to be that they used a solid Teflon bar for the slide to sit on; the other 2 slides have rollers under them and have no problem. I routinely clean off the bottom of the slide and use ptfe or other drylube on it to help it slide easier. We also have to assist the motor in extending or retracting the slide by pushing on the slide.

Would you buy a cougar again with these cable slides? Any other major problems as I am looking at cougars.

Firelime

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sk734 wrote:

Firelime wrote:

Would you buy a cougar again with these cable slides? Any other major problems as I am looking at cougars.

I probably would not buy another Cougar, but not because of the slides. The other 2 cable slides have performed flawlessly but they do not weigh near the same and have rollers. With the experience we have had with this slide, we would not buy another trailer of any brand that has a slide this heavy that is cable operated. Basically if the fridge is in the slide it would be a very tough sale for me. If it had some way to reduce the friction like using rollers, I'm sure it would be fine, but that presents other problems with the weight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slides with cables
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS